1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell to let sports hernia to heal

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Read an article the other day that stated Bell and the Steelers believe his sports hernia injury will heal on its own with time. So, has the FO not learned anything in the past with this injury. Bell will wait, and come May -July find his injury has not healed , or tears again, and he has surgery to begin the year on the shelf. My hope is Bell gets the surgery now, and doesn't wait. See Dupree for advice

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought they could go in and staple mesh in there to hold it together? I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't rush to do that?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I read earlier that Tampa might be gonna try and get him. They're dreaming. They are actually taking odds in Vegas as to where people think he might play next year and it's still overwhelmingly Pittsburgh.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This approach always seems to back fire when a player thinks it will heal on its own, then July comes
    and the player has to have surgery. Bull**** get it fixed right after the season and be ready for training camp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    The odds of healing on its own are little to none...I know this from experience!

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If it can heal without Surgery then that is for the best ...As a RB he really doesn't need training camp or pre season reps so no need to risk the scar tissue until it has to be risked ...

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'd really like to see Bell be available to play 16 regular season games.

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Surgery is the best treatment to heal the hernia, letting it heal on it's own is very risky:

Sports Hernia Treatment Without Surgery?
    Published July 12, 2014 By William Brown, MD
    Choosing Sports Hernia Surgery vs. Physical Therapy

[​IMG]After being diagnosed with a sports hernia, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and even confused by the treatment options available to you. Rehabilitation of sports hernia injuries typically includes one or both of two options: sports hernia repair surgery and a targeted physical therapy routine. Both choices have their advantages, but ultimately using a combination of surgery and physical therapy accelerate recovery and produce better results.

Physical therapy often seems like a more gentle, accessible approach to resolve an injury. While this is true, it may not always be the best path to the road to recovery. A sports hernia occurs when a tear is created in the abdominal wall, usually through sharp, twisting movements during exercise. Physical therapy typically focuses on strengthening muscles and connecting fibers. However, all the flexibility in the world will not really repair the sports hernia, it can help you keep from aggravating it.

Simply put, that tear isn’t going to fix itself. It needs a little help to heal. This is where sports hernia surgery comes in. With an internal tear, an operation can seem daunting and risky, but in reality the opposite is true. Choosing an experienced inguinal disruption surgeon and practicing proper recovery techniques can make getting back to your activities faster than you might think.

Sports hernia surgery is usually a relatively quick procedure with a six to eight week full recovery window, while physical therapy can take months, if ever, to create real change. However, the real solution is to combine both methods to speed your rehabilitation. Physical therapy on its own does not fix the root of the problem, and surgery can take years to recover from if not performed properly. In this case, the sum of those two parts means many more benefits to your recovery. Combining both options allows your body both to heal healthily and in a reasonable amount of time. It also can help fill in any gaps in either practice or knowledge that led to the injury in the first place.

A plan of recovery that includes both sports hernia surgery primarily and physical therapy following ensures that you will be able to confidently return to activity sooner and feeling better. Surgery will allow the problem to be repaired by experts, and therapy will encourage muscles to strengthen and help to increase flexibility so that re-injury is less likely. When recovering from a sports hernia, the choice of method is easy – simply combine the best of both worlds.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Weird. I read this thread and then that same evening I see one of those lawyer commercials asking if you've had a hernia mesh surgery that had gone wrong.

10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    So is this the same injury that was earlier being called a "groin" injury or is this separate from that? Either case - fix it now - don't wait - we have seen how this team drops off significantly in LB's absence - especially in the playoffs. Can't help but thinking that had Bell played the first 4 games of 2016 would this same injury have occurred a few weeks earlier than it did? With his performance in the 1st 2 playoff games, good chance we don't win either one without him. As many have said here #26 doesn't seem to be built for a 16 game season let alone 3-4 more playoff games. Next year's strategy - bench him until game 9 - then let him run wild. :shrug:

11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Weird how athletes these days appear to be superior to athletes of yesteryear in almost every measurable facet of their chosen sport... Yet, their durability is suspect. Pitch counts, rotations, minutes and snaps played etc... They have a harder time enduring than their predecessors.

Maybe it's all the supplemental enhancements that promote growth yet weaken ligaments and tendons... Maybe it's the science of the game that killed endurance... Who knows.

Bell was a workhorse in college and here they run him to death as well. Doesn't bode for a long career, but you got to have your ace on the field. Some athletes handle it better than others, but his injuries at the most inopportune times are stacking up.

Hope it's a wise decision to not have surgery and just heal up... Betting though that it's still an issue come go time and the knife will be the solution meaning we might get him back in time for week 9 so there you go Mojave... You're on to something

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    We're turning into a regular Woodward and Bernstein here. Without a doubt - the NFL will be all robots and cyborgs in the very near future as all these Moms and Dads keep their kid out of contact sports. It will take this before we see #26 be able to put in a full season.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This is the million dollar statement. Hopefully his groin injury is not as bad that it needs surgery. If he does have a setback the whole franchise tariff is guaranteed and they lose Bell once again. Personally Tomlin best back off his stance at Running the Wheels off. Time to have some carries go to another back. I would like to see D Will back for another season.

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This could really put a damper on my annual 19-0 prediction.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I find this statement on doing rehab only for this condition very concerning:

Physical therapy on its own does not fix the root of the problem:

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    he's going to be out next year, bank it.

remember we need offseason drama every year

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree, have 1 or 2 backs that can spell Bell for a series or two each game. I want him in a good rhythm, IMHO, I don't care about rushing titles or total yards. Rather, I want him healthy for the Super Bowl!

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would like to see them draft a hit the hole right now guy...Bell sometimes leaves some big gains on the field with his patience a hit the hole guy as a change of pace could break some big runs at least it would force Teams to prepare for 2 totally different running styles...Kind of like the Pats do with their RB'S ...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017