1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell to be franchise tagged, per Rapoport

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 5, 2018.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good point

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    The team and players going out of their way for LB situation. Ben maybe next ..if LB signs he can retructure right away too ..

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If Bell is not going to show up for TC and expect to be handed the starting job first game without hardly knowing the playbook, then Tomlins an idiot if he doesn't bench him at least a quarter to give the guys who put in the blood sweat and tears during the excruciating days of training camp an opportunity. The guys who want to be there deserve better than watching an egotistical terrible rapper throw another tantrum.

Drafting a RB 2nd round is now a must IMO and I'd make sure he knows there's a great chance that Conner and he will be starting ahead of Bell when the season begins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He was handed the starting job last year when he returned, he will be starting this year too. You don't pay a RB 14.5 million to sit the bench :shrug:.

6. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I know one thing, I’m so sick of this idiot. Too bad the team is gonna bend over backwards for him and jeopardize the future for him. His attitude is not what the team needs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I hope he gets hit by a Bus.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  8. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I agree, it is a business decision. I'm a former union boss, so I got no problem with it. Lets see how it plays out.

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Nor do you pay a RB 14.5 million dollars to skip all of OTA's, training Camp and Preseason. I'd park his butt on the bench in a heart beat and wouldn't even think twice about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    And you could have plenty of time to think about that stand you took while you were looking for a new job.

Bell isn't going to be benched for holding out and he's a much better player than Parker or Mendenhall. Some of the silliness on this thread is getting out of hand.

Parker was a nice player, but he also had moments when he was a pain in the ass. He was also completely useless in the passing game, a stark contrast to Bell.

At his best, Mendenhall was closer to the complete back Bell is, but he wasn't at his best often enough or for very long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Dion Lewis for about 5 mill, will work just fine.

Conner, Ridley, and Toussant we are good to go. Bell has become a distraction.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I get people are pissed off about it but this is just dumb. Let's see the Steelers and many others feel good enough about Bell to offer him a big contract and now a 14.5m one year deal, so now all you Bell haters know more about coaching then the Steeler organization???? Putting him one the bench helps the team how, the whole point is to win games and like I said the Steelers think their best chance is whith Bell on the field not on the bench.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    It is very easy to say Lewis will be just fine but do you know that? I know for a fact what this offense is with Bell I also know what it is like without him and it is night and day. Yeah we have won with guys like Dwill but it is a different offense and we are not talking a season we are talking a game or two. Ridley was in Belicheats dog house and when it came time to run a passing offense where was he, not on the field White was on the field. Did you notice the last 2 years how in the playoffs when it counted the Cheats used White more than Ridley.

Also now you want to use 4 RB's to replace one, omg! Let's see 1st and 10 Conner is in the game hmm wonder what they are doing, well I know they aren't passing to him. No need to have our LB's cover him let's double AB and Juju. Oh look 3rd and 7 Ridley is in the game hey LB spy on him slipping out....you don't have that with Bell. On any play Bell is a RB, WR and blocker. Not to mention the rhythm and confidence Ben has in him.

I am not saying Bell is irreplaceable but I am also saying tou can't just say sign player X and we will be just fine, no we won't. This is why I am so pissed we missed out on a RB like Hunt or McGuire last year to help the Steelers get ready for this and Bell would of had us over a barrel. Ben has 2 good years left let's not spend one of them trying to find a RB he can work with. Now we need a RB in this draft that has Bells skill set and he needs to learn so we can tell Bell to find a team that is willing to over pay and enjoy your January's sitting how cheering for us.........

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I agree, you don't bench him That really doesn't make much sense.

You keep throwing out the term "Bell haters " Don't you think he's earned some hate with his actions? He's threatened to retire, sit out games and skip camp. Now he has backed off on some of that, but still he's giving fans good reason to be mad.

Comparing this situation to that of a normal job isn't really fair.
    Bell choosing not to show up for camp not only affects him, but also the rest of the team.

I understand that he's trying to get the best possible deal for himself. When you're on a team like it or not you also have an obligation to your teammates because your actions can also affect them.
    Bell is being very selfish and he's going to continue to receive criticism.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They cant restructure a franchise tag, it's a one year guaranteed all money up front....

16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Actually I would prefer they play hide and seek however they never find Bell. This is ridiculous. I care not that Bell is trying to set a precedent for the young future RBs. Time to move on and end this game.

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Dont kid your self, the only player bell is trying to set a precedent for is himself get all the money he can for bell, he doesnt give a crap about what other backs earn....

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Good post Glenn for the record I get where everyone is coming from and don't get me wrong I am by no means sticking up for what Bell is doing. My point is while things keep getting brought up here about Bell missing half the season or sitting out or retiring how much truth do you think that has. I mean seriously the guy wants tons of money and he is going to retire, don't make sense, also while all these things get brought up here and social media Bell is the first to combat them and say he wants to be a Steelers and he won't miss time.....and yet many here want to focus on the negative. Bell and every other player now days use the Media and "social" media as a negotiating toll and we as fans take every thing for gospel.

My opinion is this are we a better team with Bell, hell yeah it has been proven. Can we win without Bell short term yeah it has been proven as well, but where is this team better, IMO with Bell. I agree Bell not being there does affect others as well but this is a veteran team they will be fine, I don't like it but in the end it will work out. Bell may act like he is being selfish in out eyes but you know what we aren't in his shoes and if it were me I would do whatever it takes to help me get the best money. We keep forgetting as fans that this is also a job, a business the money that these players are getting it is no longer a game to them. Also I think our players saw what could happen in a blink of an eye, in one snap of the ball with Shazier and they know it all could be over quickly. It is a sad thought but again we are looking at all this as a fan, these guys are looking at this form a job stand point. jmo

• Like Like x 1
  19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I suppose the Steelers did not use the non exclusive tag because they would perhaps need to match a very large offer from another team

20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Merely taken him at his word. This is precisely what he said. So

21. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011

There’s no rule that says they have to match it. You pray someone offers him something he will accept and take the picks. But it’s too late for all that now.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah well he did the same thing last season and the team went 13-3 :shrug:, he isn't obligated to show up for OTA's and training camp.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He may not be obligated, but you know that's not right. He needs to be there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    My bad i mean the long term deal if ..

25. Emperor Lebaeu

Emperor Lebaeu Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2013
    I can't wait till Bell is off the team. I believe there are many good running backs they can get for much less money, and with much better attitudes. We will need an improvement from Conner and Ridley's play last year, but I think the Steelers will be just fine without Bell.

• Agree Agree x 1