1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell to be franchise tagged, per Rapoport

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 5, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Pre 2016 bell ain’t worth 17.5 mil lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My concern at this point is that the Steelers haven't firmly embraced the idea that this is Bell's final season and still think a long term deal can be reached but they will try one more ploy to lower his price and that is by using a 1st Rd pick on a RB in the attempt to leverage Bell and say that is how much we value you we drafted a new bell cow. Which will backfire because everything else has and his demands go up each time.

Come to terms with it, draft this year or next for the future, run him into the ground for the full 14 mil and then move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    That's cool with Conner I think there is a place on this team and a good one just not a main guy, :thumbs_up:

Here is my problem with the rest of what you said, you now want to change the style of blocking from the line and you then think JJ can give us something Bell does? This has been one of my arguments on why to keep Bell, we have a very small window with Ben Correct? I have said I want 100% to help Ben in these last 2-3 years and that does not include changing the blocking style. That will hurt Ben as well as he has a feel for the line just like he does with Bell, I am not interested in that no matter how great of a coach Munch is. jmo

Also I like JJ but he can no way offer the same stuff Bell does not even close. That is not a knock on JJ but more of how special Bell is. The other thing is the line good cause of Bell or is Bell good cause of the line...or both? We have seen this with the Cowpies and Murray a few years back and I am not sure we got an answer then. As for our line pre Munch Gilbert was a whipping boy and Foster was not far behind. Now with Much these two guy have cleaned up their act and played well, but then again is it Bells patient running style? IDK

As for drafting a RB I feel it is a must and a guy that can fit the system. I read a lot about young RB's not being on the field cause one of the hardest things to do is blitz pick up. I know one thing saving 14m at the risk of losing our QB in which our season will be over due to a missed blitz pick up isn't money well saved. We need to get a guy in here and learn as much as he can while Bell is here. If we draft a guy he is going to get tons of work in the preseason so the Steelers will know whathe needs to work on. IMO this is a no brainer if we plan to move on from Bell next year. :smiley1:

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    And you know someone will someone always over pays in FA, happens all the time and that is why guys get cut after 2 years.

5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    And this is based on cause he is a RB? I mean Heyward is getting 12.4 Haden is getting 11.9 and after Tuitt restructured he will be getting 13m 3 of the next 4 years. So you don't want to give Bell 16m who was 30% of our offense but are fine with giving these guys big money? Bell is a lot of things but he is also very productive on the field. I agree I don't want to give Bell 17+m but if Tuitt is worth 13m then what is Bell worth? Am I looking at this all wrong?

6. Steelers113

Steelers113 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2017

My concerns are.
    1.This was his first full season
    2.He’s been suspended twice
    3.He’s logged so many touches that according to past data his production will start to dip

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    1. He still puts up numbers even when hurt and you can't predict injuries.
    2. Not much to say here but I agree
    3. Of course they will dip with so many touches but what he brings is so much more than numbers. You don't think the defense has to account for him and AB which leads to other guys like Juju, MB and Vance putting up big plays? Also the blocking and protection is second to none, these are all things you don't see on the stat sheet.

He accounted for 30% of our offense and Ben loves working with him, imo we have a small window with Ben go all in.

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Give me 2014 Bell. That production, pre injuries, then yes I think he might be worth it. But we are looking at a workhorse who has been abused by a lot of touches, knees busted TWICE, suspended for drug use, clearly $$ is his motivating factor(imo I cant blame him, we all want cash lol) but this is the Steelers. It's do or die basically for that 7th. otherwise I'll be saying stairway to 7 every damn year and get annoyed of myself.

2018 STAIRWAY TO 7!

2022 STAIRWAY TO 7!

2030 STAIRWAY TO 7!

2040 STAIRWAY TO 7!

2048 STAIRWAY TO 7!

2056 STAIRWAY TO 7!

*dead*

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    3.9 ypc...7 yards a catch...And a long run of 20 yards the last 2 years...He's slowing down, and quick...Not only from the eye test...But I'm guessing the Steelers have some more, in depth, analytics......That says even more concretely what my eyes are telling me...Sorry N.Y...................We've argued about this before, But, With the workload, injuries,pot smoking, lack of explosiveness, dumb ass media ****,attitude.....Not near worth what he's asking imo

• Like Like x 3
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I get all that and I know I have went around with a few of you guys here on this and I am not saying he is at all worth 17m. What I am saying is Ben has 2-3 good years left at this point we have tagged Bell for next year if we were to get a deal done like a 4 year deal(nothing more) then we would have the best WR & RB in the game paired up with an future HOF QB with a very good oline. That alone makes us contenders for the next few years, let's face it when Ben hangs them up we may be in trouble so why not have the best while he is still here. Look how long we searched for a franchise QB after TB. :smiley1:

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    4 years 50M makes bell the highest paid back in the NFL by 2M a year so whats his beef with signing that deal?

• Like Like x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    How are we suppose to answer that are we sitting next to Bell does anyone on this site have contact with him? All I can say is we are only getting parts of what is going on. I am not sure if Bell is playing hardball or if he is high or what I don't know why he thinks he is worth so much. Maybe it is negotiating tactic who knows but in the end I want Bell here and if he and the Steelers can't agree come draft time then draft a guy and know this is it. I want a guy in place unlike last year, it is very important to me to make sure who we draft and Ben are on the same page. jmo

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The longer this goes and the more I hear. I think this is Bell's last year with the Steelers. Steelers will run him 300+ times and say see you later thanks.

T

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    This is what I think as well and I am fine with it but I really want us to draft a replacement

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I never said Conner can give us what Bell does, its the very first thing I said in my last reply to you :lolol:

I said he will be better at blitz pick up and blocking overall in year 2.

How the line blocks for the run game doesnt affect Ben at all. If they went to a traditional blocking scheme for Conner, nothing changes for Ben. It wouldnt be a hard adjustment for the line. In fact, how they block for Bell is harder. Hence, I believe Bell benefits from the line more than the line does from Bell.

I think they will draft a RB this year but should the draft unfold in a way that it doesnt happen, I dont think it puts them in a huge hole next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Right I never said you did I am just saying I feel there is a place on this team for him just not as the lead back.

As for the line I do feel t has an effect on Ben, if they change style what is to say it will be the same or one spot is weaker. Ben is not mobile anymore so if the line struggles with the new system we could be in trouble.

I really feel a rookie need to get his feet wet before he takes over so drafting a replacement is a little more important for me. However I am not going to say a rookie can't succeed I am just saying I worry with Ben back there.

17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this.

pretty much all of us can see Ben having 2-3 left in him.

Not near as many see Bell in the same fashion.

Due to history and data and such in regards to his position amount of carries.... as we'll as seeing Bells #s dip.

He's a tremendous blocking back not a WR and pretty damn good running the ball, although as already stated... Not as good as he would think himself to be. He catches dump offs which are hardly equate to elite WR #s and is not a 2 or even 3 in those regards.

I appreciate what he's done. Don't see him really improving at this point... More regressing. Saw all I "personally" needed to see last year when the excuse we never had him and when we did it still wasn't enough.

The inept D was not his fault I agree, but nothing about him justifies AB money it just does not. No need to hamstring the team on a long term deal when honestly Ben's last 2-3 is more crucial and will be more meaningful than bells next 2-3. What he wants can give our team and franchise QB more of what this team needs than what they need from Bell in the short future.

Just my opinion, but I don't want to see them paying for A Bell that is not Bell when we need him to be what we expect from him while continuing to not address other pieces of the puzzle for the future.

Bens done soon. Bell is done sooner. Need a "team" in place to keep hope alive until the next slinger arrives and bell is not the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    LOL...Bell thinks he’s worth the money AB is. That’s one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard. The dope smoking has messed his brain up because he’s crazy if he thinks he’s a $17 million per season player. Now way the Steelers give him that. There’s no use in negotiating with a player who is so far out of touch with reality. The Steelers need show him the door and spend that money on defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Im having trouble grasping why run blocking affects Ben? He hands the ball off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Because when a guy struggles in the new scheme/style it has a tendency to roll over to other parts of his game.

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Oline prefers run block over pass block, handing the ball off to a back is the most routine play in the book, thats hardly a new scheme and the safest play to keep a QB clean and safe in the pocket, bell likes to dance at the LOS forcing lineman to hold their blocks longer than is necessary, we need a back that has that power surge at the line who can break longer runs than bell who had short runs all year but no long runs that amounted to much this year.......

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No it doesnt lol.

This is NY refusing to be moved from his spot :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok if you say so.....

Also you keep throwing out how I don't like to change my stance let me ask you when was the last time you changed yours. Two way street man I am not alone on this, lol. :smiley1:

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think he did on Tomlin but don't quote me on that although he is the member formally known as Tomlin_Era :sign0020:

• Like Like x 2
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well then I will stand corrected.....see blast I can change my view, lmao. :roflmao: