1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell to be franchise tagged, per Rapoport

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 5, 2018.

1. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Not everyone shares my opinion, but this is so idiotic. Pay the man his dang money and give him a long-term deal.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This was expected. They aren't going to get a deal done. Leveon wants to much. Steelers aren't going to pay it but know they need him. I think expect a hold out that lasts into the season this time around. Better add some running back depth in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Not surprised at all. Steelers should let Bell walk and avoid the drama that will happen when he holds out for camp/preseason and most likely, the first few weeks of regular season. Fix the D, draft a RB in 2nd or 3rd round. Move on.

This will probably end up like the Woodson situation back in '97. Steelers will offer Bell a more than reasonable long-term contract and he will go elsewhere and end up getting LESS money from another team. Bell's over-inflated sense of worth will be his downfall. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree, IF it's for $ that the front office is willing to pay. Bell thinks he's never going to age, where IMO, he wasn't quite as good last year as he was the year before. I think he may have already hit his peak with the number of carries and two knee injuries.

If he thinks he's going to get $15 million a year from Pittsburgh, the NFL outta give him another drug test, because he's on something...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    This scenario prevents them from spending in FA to improve the D, and adds uncertainty at RB. They need to cut bait one way or another, rather than this. Either sign him or let him walk.

6. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    If we AREN'T going to pay Bell, then we better go out and get a reliable RB AND a superstar defensive player because Bell is well-worth drama and the money.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I really didn't expect anything less.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Tick Tock Tick Tock

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They still have time to workout a longterm deal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If the Steelers are willing to pay the franchise tag price ( which is about 14 million) and they can't get a deal done how much money does Bell want?

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    No RB should make $15M (or whatever the number is). It's ridiculous. Look at the two Super Bowl teams using 3 or 4 man RB committees. We need help on Defense.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Not gonna happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I would have preferred something like a 3 year deal at 35-40 million.

But I will settle for the tag. Take another full run at the SB or tag and trade.

You can't break the bank on a RB, especially one with injury, character and off the field issues.

AB deserved his money. Bell does not.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I wouldn't doubt that Bell is looking for a 5 or 6 year deal for 100M

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. C ZACK

C ZACK Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I would let him walk and focus on improving the defense. I don't know about you guys but I became a fan of the Steelers because of their defense in the 90s and just their defensive history in general dating back to their dynasty in the 70s. Also, I'm kind of sick of Bell and the crap that goes along with him. I would rather be a defensive-minded team than an offensive-minded team. Don't get me wrong I love the offensive talent we have (the solid line, Ben, Brown, JuJu, etc.). However, my heart has always belonged to the defensive side of the ball. Let Bell walk, draft a running back in the draft, and fix that D!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think the amount is the sticking point it is the guaranteed money. I think he wants three years the Steelers only do 2 years which is a stupid thing to argue over.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They've basically already given him two years guaranteed by tagging him. The whole situation stinks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
  19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    From the TRIB:

Le'Veon Bell will be a free agent in March, and the Steelers must determine between Feb. 20 and March 6 whether they want to do the franchise-tag dance again.

This year, the price tag goes up to $14.54 million on Bell's franchise tender. The Steelers must decide whether that bar is too high for a versatile runner who finally played a full season without injury yet has a lot of wear and tear on his body over the past five seasons.

Bell caused a stir in the days leading to the divisional-round playoff loss to Jacksonville when he threatened to retire or skip the season if he is tagged again. His holdout last summer was among the earliest distractions in a season filled with them, and the Steelers could decide the hassle isn't the worth the price it will cost to pay Bell.

Bell finished third in the NFL in rushing with 1,291 yards and was second in scrimmage yards this season. His 85 catches for 665 yards helped the Steelers control the ball — they finished fourth in time of possession — and compensated for an overall running game that ranked No. 20 in the NFL. But Bell had only one 100-yard rushing game in the second half of the season, rarely broke long gains and had a 4.0 average per carry that was nearly a yard less than in 2016.

The Steelers allocated 57 percent of their spending ($94 million) on offense last year, more than any NFL team. If they desire to balance the scales, they could let Bell walk and invest in a younger, fresher option in the NFL Draft.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt Bell is that delusional to think any team would pay him that much.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Expected. Bells a greedy mofo.

He'll miss camp again but won't hold out into the season.

1) He won't get paid for games missed and it's obvious how he feels about money.

2) He'll be playing for his next contract, he's not going to miss games.

• Agree Agree x 4
  22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Well that isn't much of a shock really.

It buys more time.
    If he won't sign.
    Steelers don't lose a dime.

See the Leveon Bell rapping is rubbing off on me.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  23. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I like the rhyme but I think the uncertainty must impact their other personelle decisions (draft and FA). Unless they offer the $14.5M and hope he signs it eventually

24. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I'm personally in the...Let Bell walk corner...Here's why

* Almost 2x the money of the next highest back ( supposedly )
    *Haven't won anything with him
    * Tons and tons of mileage for a guy his age
    * Injured every year, surgery on both knees and his groin already
    *Slow, and getting slower...Long run of 20 yards the last 2 years...Great pass catcher, blocker, and shifty...but slow
    * Clubhouse cancer...Always running his chops.Calling teammates out saying they weren't ready to play when he...Didn't show up fot the biggest practice of the year, AND was late for the game itself
    * One toke away
    No way he's close to his asking price

• Agree Agree x 9
  25. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Better draft a good RB. They'll give him another 400 touches and let him go (as they should) next off season.