1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell mishap revisited.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    They've been trying to synthesize an equivalent for decades (with mixed results). Besides, the chemical that gives you a high is also the chemical that dulls pain and nausea. ;) Kind of like opiates, only not as strong... or dangerous/addictive.

It was once thought only the THC was needed. But THC in pill form wasn't as effective. One of the problems is that the "Reefer Madness" crowd pushes back against research into the drug. It's slower going. I have no opinion if this is good or bad. We rushed into using opiates before we understood their effects fully.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    They do, it's called Nabilone. It still creates a bit of an off feeling though, so it's far from perfect

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Are opiates like hydrocodon and stuff like that? I think those medicines technically "work" it's just that they get over prescribed and people abuse the crap out of them and down here it is an absolute plague on our culture. Is it as big of a problem up north as it is down here? They call from FL to KY the "Oxycontin Express" and there's a joke that when you shake a bottle of pills it's called a "hillbilly mating call" and they even call it "hillbilly heroin".

4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's not just about money. They put their bodies and livelihood on the line and for money they might not even be able to fully enjoy. Easy for Bo Jackson to say he wouldn't have played football if he knew the risk already making millions off it(he could have just played baseball and been rich but still) Then us without the millions saying we'd gladly take it. Who knows the right answer. Then you got the NFL saying you can't act like this, can't do this, can't wear this, etc. MMA, I enjoy it. But they are making peanuts compared to other athletes to beat the **** out of each other. Some of us on here probably make more than most MMA fighters. They are in a octagon, beating the **** out of each other, while everyone is around them cheering it on. Modern day gladiators. I can see the comparisons.

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I've never been on a self induced "high" because I've never taken a single drug in my life but I can say that even the medicines I've been prescribed after surgery have made me feel that same kind of way. I can't stand the feeling they give me. I can't believe anyone could get addicted to that feeling. My wife has always said she thinks it would be hilarious to see my drunk and when my gallbladder went bad a few years ago I had to go to the ER and they put me on a morphine drip and this nurse was sitting beside me and they had this curtain up with flowers on it. So the nurse was sitting there and all of a sudden I said "WHOA! I'm sinking in to this bed and those flowers are floating on that curtain! Something is wrong with me bad!" and the nurse said "It's morphine and I'm here to let you know it's ok" and I said "No I'm not. LOOK! THEY'RE FLOATING!" and my wife and that nurse were DYING laughing and my wife said "I always knew you'd be funny if you got drunk". LOL! If that's the feeling that people chase after then I absolutely can not understand how they would enjoy that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I see your point and don't disagree, however none of these athletes are forced to make their chosen sport their profession. If they aren't aware of the risks then they shouldn't even be participating. Look at police (a profession I am rather fond of), they know their is a risk they may not return home at the end of their shift...it is part of the job. If a cop does die he receives benefits he will never be able to enjoy. My point is it can be said about any profession. But you said it correctly SDOT, what is the right answer?

7. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Sigh............... they do it...wait for it... W-I-L-L-I-N-G-L-Y. THAT is the difference. There is literally zero comparison. There is literally less than zero comparison. Did anybody forcibly make Ricky Williams play when he didn't agree with their policy? No. They let him go live his little Bob Marley fantasy. If these guys want to do that then go ahead. If they were actual "slaves" they wouldn't be able to just walk away whenever they disagreed with what their "master" was saying or doing.

8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    BFT I have had similar experiences with morphine. Eating a bag of chips that wasn't there or warning my wife to not hit the nuns that were standing in the middle of the road. Why I stay away from that stuff if I can help it.

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah my only regret was not taking my Strat with me to the hospital to see if all that Hendrix love would have finally paid off. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  10. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    The marijuana laws in this country are ignorant and archaic. Maybe more importantly un American. They've been kept in place and enforced largely due to lobbyists that some how benefit financially for it to remain illegal. Alcohol is by far more dangerous and harmful to the individual and society. Yet most law makers and individuals that oppose legalization are more than happy to tie one on when ever they feel like. Is marijuana harmful? Of course it is. Anything done in excess is harmful. IMO that's for everyone as an individual to decide, not a political decision. It should be regulated and taxed like Alcohol.

All that said if he broke the law or rules then he should be punished just like everyone else...until the ridiculous law or rule is corrected by more informed and less corrupt individuals. Hopefully that day comes soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Of course we have heard and understand what facetious means, but thanks for trying to educate us. The problem with your claim, however, is that PWP was not exaggerating and apparently strongly believes in the correlation between slavery in America that precipitated the CIVIL WAR in the 1860's and athletes making millions in the NFL in 2017. PWP and you apparently don't agree that marijuana should be illegal and/or banned by the NFL. Great, smoke up Johnny. You may not agree that the speed limit should be 55 mph and think it should be 100 mph. Drive 100 mph and kill a mother and her children heading to Grandma's for Christmas and see how far your gripe about THE LAW get you in the courts. Surely it will get you out of a manslaughter charge...

See, I can be facetious as well. Sounds silly doesn't it? About as silly as the ludicrous comparison you are trying to defend.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree that as long s it is on the banned list, they cant do it.

Im just saying its a dumb rule and are actually hurting their own product. Some big stars have missed time because of this, stars that fans want to see on the field.

Pot doesn't have to be legal for the NFL to stop testing for it. What they test for is their own choosing.

Does baseball/basketball/hockey test for it? Serious question, I dont know the answer to it.

Except he's not being facetious, as evident by his staunch defense of it. PWP is know to make outrageous statements.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Last thing (only cuz I'm on a roll), I still don't get where some of you say that weed is way less harmful than alcohol. Where do you get this information from? If you argument is far less people smoke weed than use alcohol and that convolutes the comparison...well I'm right there with you. Show me a study where the same number of people with same background, same age, etc. smoke weed as do consume alcohol over the same period of time, then compare which is more harmful and you might have an argument! The argument weed is less harmful than alcohol is only made by those that want it legalized. The only real argument is that some people should not do either one because they may become harmful to themselves or others!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Bottomline, anymore labrador maui waui Bell loses his legs! :butcher:

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Anything is harmful when done in excess. Even sex! I sprained my.... ah never mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I can only go off my personal experiences. When I would consume alcohol it would make me feel like total garbage, sometimes even the whole day after. Pot never brought my body down like that. I used to smoke after getting swole up at the gym, it was that good to me. Show me a study where the argument that weed is less harmful is ONLY made by people who want it legalized lol.

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Jeez this thread has went to ****.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    There's like 2,000 players in the NFL and what only a handful get suspended for marijuana each year. They're getting what they want.
    They won't stop testing for it. Legal or not you can't have people coming to work high.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We don't know if they will or not but Im leaning towards they will.

Do you really think players are going to show up to a game high?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If it's legal and no testing? Yes

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We'll have to agree to disagree. No way that would happen, what do you think coaches and players will do to a guy if he shows up high for a game.

Beers legal, I don't think too many players are showing up drunk.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm going to step out of this debate.
    When it's not against NFL policy I'll get back in.

23. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I've shown up to several flag football championship games after smoking. If anything they would probably try to label it a performance enhancer. It took away any pre game jitters and I swear I was soo locked in the zone that I didn't drop a pass. I know it didn't affect my cardio, I never come out of a game.

24. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/top-ten-arguments-for-legalization
    This was the first hit on a google search! (yes, I'm just being a smart-a$$ to be clear)

25. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree with Glenn. I have been doing research on MJ Penny stocks. The CBD and THC does help a lot with pain. But, like Glenn said, it ain't legal so leave it alone till you are no longer playing, Bell and Bryant. hmmmm. Could have been 4 killer B's this year