1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell mishap revisited.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Jan 13, 2017.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Guys let's not get bogged down in the debate over legality of pot. This is a discussion over whether Bell's actions throughout the course of the season would lead you to believe that he missed the test because he had smoked up or if he missed because he was young and dumb and thought he was proving s point about the unfair drug policy. Given his drive and dedication demonstrated I think he was clean but got angry and sought to prove a point and that cost him three games. I think the fact that the league agreed to lessen the pretty black and white fine says he was at least partially right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think, since it was missed tests, not failed tests, he was on something to aid his injury recovery.
    Some other banned substance, steroid or whatever, not weed.
    With rare exceptions (I can only think of one, AP), guys usually don't come back stronger after the injury he suffered.
    I think it was a calculated move.

3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I agree with Glenn. Comparing slavery to smoking weed is an ignorant comment and ridiculous analogy. That statement could be picked apart in dozens of different ways and is just ludicrous. Whether someone believes smoking marijuana should be legal or not doesnt matter. If the NFL didn't take action against one of their players engaging in something illegal, the league would become a lightning rod and it would be a PR nightmare.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually a very fair comparison as the NFL players are used just like meat the NFL makes their living off the backs of others those others sacrifice their health and futures for them ....That organization then pumps them full of drugs to keep them playing and turn around and steal their money if the do weed ....So a slave to the system and that system is flawed as well...

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    This seems to be the most plausible explanation. Of course, none of us will likely ever know.

6. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Oh for f**ks sake. This is absolutely ridiculous. Now you are comparing millionaires to slaves. You are seriously deranged dude.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As a Black person I have no problem making a comparison and I see the NFL as a modern day slave master so to speak....Mainly when it tries to be the moral compass when all they care about is money..

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't know Thorn. It is hard to believe that these guys could let something that petty impact them to that degree. It just seems to be more calculated than that. People know the difference between right and wrong and this situation sure seems like he had something to hide.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You're a twisted individual. Seems you know less about life than you do about football.

10. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Your hatred is obvious and misplaced. Now you're trying to turn Bell's suspension into a race issue. I know your football acumen is high, but your credibility just took a massive hit.

11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    :facepalm: Look man, you're my boy and I really like you. I also really don't wanna touch this with a 10 foot pole. However, I just feel that to compare any business to the slave industry is extremely flawed judgement. You realize these guys are not forced to sign MULTI. MILLION. DOLLAR. DEALS. Right? You realize that just because most of them wind up bankrupt it is because of choices they make of their own free will. Right? You realize that the league, or any other business for that matter, doesn't tie people up and lash them for disobedience and split up their families and rape their wives at will. Right? Because when you start making that comparison you need to factor that in. I'll put it this way. If Solomon Northup had a chance to trade with Martavis Bryant or Josh Gordon or Le'Veon he would probably jump on all of that in about 2 seconds flat. Just sayin'...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Deer Spray. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  13. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    This thread has turned into a southwest airlines commercial. Ever want to get away...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought the whole thing was missed tests? Bell's explanantion was cell phone number change. I beleive that is why he "only" gets a 4 game on the next test failure, otherwise it would be more.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not a hatred or a race issue..It is a money issue and for a group to condone and even push killer dope to keep their product on the field and then turn around and punish players for doing something a lot less harmful is BS ......As I stated I have a lot of young men I have coached in the ground due to pain killers so every time the NFL pays a Dr. to prescribe them and then turns around and suspends someone for weed it makes me go nuts ....

How many of our youth are dead behind pain killers ? The NFL is on the wrong side of this issue, just like many ended up on the wrong side of slavery.....To me the pain killer debate is the biggest debate of our times and I see that issue as big as the slavery issue was then ...

• Like Like x 1
  16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    While we are revisting things... Are we going to revisit Tyreek Hill strangling his pregnant girlfriend?

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe Willy Gay can show him how he feels about domestic violence.;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah so not what I envisioned this discussion turning into. Was looking more for no he was stupid and smoked up or he has impressed me enough to have changed my mind. Not a commentary on social injustice in America.

19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Has nobody here ever heard of the term facetious? It's an exaggerated analogy to prove a point. It has nothing to do with comparing slavery to anything that happens in the NFL.

Yes, of course the NFL needs to crack down on it until such time as it's no longer a banned substance, but to treat weed the same as a steroid is absolutely ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Pain killers, alcohol, tobacco, steroids all bad. Weed not so much.

• Like Like x 1
  21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    In order
    No he was stupid.
    Yes he has impressed me.
    TBD if he has impressed me enough to change my mind. Stay tuned to the Same Bat Time and Same Bat Channel to find out...

22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    IF it is used to "recover" faster then it would be the same as a roid right? Because don't roids just help your body to recover faster? I honestly don't know anything about pot but don't some people say that? Therefore couldn't it be the same as like Antler Spray and all that?

23. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    My thoughts exactly. Moreover, one can agree with the punishment (or that Bell broke a rule knowingly and should be punished) AND think the rule is wrong. ;)

No. It does nothing to speed up healing. Simply pain management - which I seem to recall reading the NFL was going to look into reconsidering their rules on marijuana for precisely this reason. Maybe nothing comes out of that reconsideration, but it's a step.

24. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, I was going to hold my tongue (or fingers as the case may be), but I just can't. NFL players are slaves? Really? You are trying to pass this off as a valid argument? I feel like a slave to my work, as I'm sure most people do. I wish I was paid a NFL athletes wages for my slave labor. You don't think there are other professions that are just as demanding on a persons body? Same argument college players make about being paid while going to school. They are being paid...with an education, housing, food and many other perks. If you want to smoke weed, fine, that is on you but don't pass it off as a noble argument against the drugs used in the NFL. Last I checked, most "casual" weed smokers aren't getting it from a doctor and most NFL athletes ARE getting their drug from one. I have yet to hear of a case where a team has held a gun to players head demanding he take any kind of drug. Less harmful...where do you guys come up with stuff? How do you know? For every study you find about the "benefits" of weed, I can find you one that tells you there are no "benefits". I've seen some people do some pretty crazy and hurtful stuff on weed and that is a fact!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    With all the scientific advancements couldn't they just make marijuana that doesn't have the chemical that intoxicates you but can still manage pain the same way they made non-alcoholic beer?