1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell mishap revisited.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Jan 13, 2017.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So informal poll time. Given the wide variety of articles on Bell recently, his style, level of play, work ethic, dedication to his craft and so on would anyone like to revise their position on the hot topic of the summer? Did he get high again or was it truly an accident that led to a missed test and thus a failed test due to a no show?

I personally think he didn't smoke up and honestly missed the first scheduled test and then the arrogance of youth took over. He has shown too much dedication lately to have been tempted to throw it away chasing a high.

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He was probably high ...The NFL is a joke in this regards ...Some of these players are simple weed addicts and other's smoke to manage pain...Weed has a lot less harmful effect than the legal Dope the NFL pushes ...The NFL will dope and shoot up players with poison in a minute to sell their product and then turn around and act like the worlds moral compass when it comes to weed ......

The NFL needs to change it's stance on weed period...

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know, I was hoping for a better excuse than the dog ate my homework.

I dont really care though, as long as its the last time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't care now and didn't care then. Smoke all you want Bell, just make sure to carry around Ben's piss with you so you can pass the test.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He was suspended for 3 games. That is the fact I cared about then. It's still the same fact. He hurt the team. That hasn't changed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When offering Bell his new contract, if the Steelers do not
    put in language to protect themselves of grave danger shame on them.

1 missed test = 1o game suspension. After that Life, As our favorite HC says, it is what it is.
    Are you going to pay a man 12mill/season to be possibly suspended? LOL

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm not sure "mishap" is the right word. I'm think more along $@(&UP.

8. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I would imagine most contracts, if not all, have language to protect the team.

And his next missed or failed test, if there is one, would result in a 4 game suspension.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He missed the test. And from what I recall it was several. I don't know if it was because he was smoking or not. Either way he was irresponsible.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Now you're an expert on the effects of drugs?
    Until it's not against the rules, it's against the rules. Pretty simple.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    You need to be an expert to have an opinion?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    100% agreed. However, I think there was some credence to his new cell phone number argument; otherwise, suspension would have stuck at 4 games.

Two other thoughts:
    1) I don't smoke it, but marijuana should not be a banned drug in the NFL. Might as well ban beer too.
    2) I feel he has matured. He is arguably one of the top players in the game. Period. Time to pay BOTH Brown and Bell. And yes put in protective language in the contract. When does a team have a HOF QB and arguably the best WR and RB in the league all on the same team at the same time?

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Don't have to be a expert I have a lot of peers who are former players like me a bunch of us have ruined knees,ankles, and joints from Litocaine injections ..That was just on the lower levels of College ball....I have also seen a many a Football player od from pain killers , a lot of those kids got that start from being hurt on a football field , we have at least 30 former players that are now dead from pain killers so I know enough about the situation to form a solid opinion....

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh really and your fine with a 4 game suspension or suspension of any kind? And your paying
    a man 12 million/yr to be suspended. Can I get a job at your company?

15. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Where did I say I was fine with a 4 game suspension? I have no idea why you even think that.

The question posed by the OP was whether Bell got high or missed the test by accident. My response is I don't care. What's done is done. He said he no longer smokes weed and that's good enough for me. The guy is the best RB in the league and is a huge reason why our team is where it is. I would pay the man because I want to continue to win games in the future and I don't think he's a high risk at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :roflmao::applaud:

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Pretty safe to say his next one, if there is one, certainly will.

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It was several follow up for a missed test which in my mind why it was a case of the arrogance of youth. I remember when I was in my twenties and working in the kitchen at a hotel. I was basically running the kitchen and was making close to 10 an hour. A couple of bellman found out what I was making and complained and I got hauled into the managers office and read the riot act and told to keep my mouth shut. I was young and got pissed didn't matter if I was in the right or wrong I was just mad. I walked back to the kitchen office threw my keys on the desk, wiped the ordering computer and walked out and never looked back. Arrogance thinking who needs the f-in place.

So I can see something of that in the Bell situation, don't do anything wrong but there is a mistake made and before you know it you are pissed and making decisions based on anger.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Personally I'm over it and ready to move on.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You deal in Opinions and I deal in facts.
    It's illegal, deal with it.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    In total agreement with you on this one. Especially the last part. Enough with this stupid policy. Think fans want to see the biggest stars on the sidelines because of weed????

They gain no edge on the field because of it.

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Slavery was legal at one time to ..Just because something is legal that don't make it right ...;)

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Couple things.
    Not saying you feel this way, but plenty do. Just because a person doesn't think it should be banned or illegal doesn't mean one should condone the actions of people breaking the rules/law.

Until all states make it legal there's not a chance in hell the NFL will allow it if they even would then.

With that said. I'm not sure why we can't just focus on the fact that a player broke the rules and was punished for it instead of making excuses by saying it shouldn't be a rule?

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You're seriously comparing slavery to marijuana use?
    That's not even funny. As a matter of fact it's dumb.

25. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    What's dumb is you don't understand the analogy and completely missed the point that illegal doesn't = wrong and sometimes it takes people challenging laws/policies in order to make change.