1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell is killing the PA passing game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Sep 18, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Its been two games and some members are still freaking out about the offense as a whole after facing an up and coming team (at least better than previous yeara in spite of their current record) and a team that features an elite caliber defense.

It is as Steel_Elvis stated last season after that 34-3 drubbing by Philidelphia;

"This is parity folks".

Why some people expected that to change is beyond me. :shrug::lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I thought it is a great showcasing all things considered.

Minnesota's defense is as good, in my opinion, as Denver's or Seattle's.

They have the front seven to smash any offensive line and the secondary to corral any top flight offense.

This whole discussion about splitting carries due to one game is quite odd.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm gonna laugh so hard if someday we're all watching a game and the analyst is like "Ya know I really used to think Bell was great but then I came across a website that enlightened me to the fact that Bell is now washed up and DHB is the real key to the Steelers success over all these years..." LOL!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Make no mistake I'm not calling for Conner to replace bell.we need bell. I'm not basing. A call for Conner to have more touches over any rustiness from bell. I'm in preservation of bell mode. I'd like to see him when needed and not ran down and I'd like for his backup to be fresh but acquainted should old familiar come rooting it's ugly head.

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No desperation here , but didn't look vintage to me . He looked good getting over the guy on the ground , but it he saw the inside pursuit and he had a chance to make that super jump cut to the outside with DD out there to seal the inside and break a big one to the outside.

So you see vintage and I see a guy who doesn't have that same lateral explosion . I never said he was now a scrub he is still a top 10 or so RB , but without that explosive lateral movement he is not 1 of the best in the NFL anymore . Can he get that back ? I hope so , but I still don't see it yet , and we may never see it again .

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes because we all know we have explosive WR'S not just 1 we have a few . Bell even at full capacity which he is not is not best for PA .Let me break it down just a bit more . If the LB knows the RB is patient then he knows he has time to fill the hole.The style of Bell allows the LB to stay at his depth longer and with out the fear of him breaking some big ones they can stay even longer .

Now why is that important ? On a PA pass it is usually called to quick slants ,notice the word quick.That means the ball comes out fast . If you get what I am saying to this point you can see how the amount a LB steps up and the time in which he steps up effects all passing windows behind him.

The OP doubles and triples down to the fact that Bell is not helping the PA game. If he ain't helping it he must be hurting it .All that think this position is crazy or stupid or peewee feel free to show or tell me how he is helping to open those windows at this time?

The style of Conner would force LB'S more quickly as a result more passing windows and more chances to hit our weapons more often. I guess hitting your weapons is only for Peewee ball. We just keep forcing throws instead of creating them I guess that is better ?

7. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Connor hasn't really shown much of anything yet. I know he's a fan favorite, but it's not like he's a 1st round stud rb riding the bench, or that he set the world on fire during the preseason. If the coaches feel he can help the team, he'll get more playing time. Until then, he is what he is.. A rookie running back who still has growing to do at the pro level.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Last game 1 run 9 yards . That's enough to get more touches . Who knows what he may or may not have done last game given more work. As I stated that's not really what the post is about .

Is Bell helping or hurting the PA game ? And would the style of Conner fit better in the PA game at this time ? This is a easy test I already gave you the correct answers.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Don't tell this to our so called football genius's they feel there is no need for preseason game work . And some of them don't think the player even needs to be in camp. LOL

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    When Bell goes off for over 100 yards the next several weeks, then maybe we can stop with posts like this. My God.

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I couldn't read the whole thread but to even suggest it is time to sit Bell in favor of Connor is nuts. Give me a break, we will go as Bell goes. Nobody said we should sit Bell last year and oh by the way he had some pretty bad games. 66 yds vs the Jets, 53 vs the fish, 81 vs the Cheats, 32 vs the Ravens, 57 vs the Cryboys and they were all in a row(wk 5-10) in route to a 1268 yrd season missing the 1st 3 games........yep he lost a step!!!! SMFH :facepalm:

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    And then the announcer says "and the only reason they didn't win multiple Super Bowls is that they stubbornly refused to play DHB at free safety."

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Bell has become some people's favorite whipping boy because he didn't accept the contract the Steelers offered him.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats a bunch of mumbo jumbo. What the hell does that even mean? There was no super duper wham bam thank you ma'am jump outside to be made. DD's man wasnt sealed off and you can see on the edge of the screen there was even another Vikings defender out there. There was certainly nothing inside available.

I did see him pick up the first down though.

15. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    And nobody is suggesting Connor should re place Bell, but think Conner should get a few more touches when he gains 9 yards on 1 run then we give it back to Bell 3 straight times and can't get a first down. We will go as far as our our passing game takes us. :facepalm:

I did say last year he was over used and it hurt our passing game when we needed it.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bells a big pieces of that passing game. So far this year, they've barely used him. I think it suffers more if they take him out of it.

17. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I think what we are seeing is Bell's absence from camp, absolutely has an effect on his current game. His game has been patience, waiting for blocks, then hitting the hole.... I don't think the timing is there yet, needs more practice and game time.

I'm ok with it as long as we are winning games. Also, they key to winning the super bowl is being in synch and healthy in the playoffs, not week 3.

But philosophically speaking, I would think we would want to utilize both RB's throughout the regular season..... instead of running the wheels off Bell so he sits in the playoffs again.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Go back and read the very start of this thread I think there may be a person who suggested it :facepalm: not gonna say names but he has a love/hate relationship with Bell......HE LOVES TO HATE HIM!!!

I get what your saying about Connor but let's get Bell going before we worry about a change up. Yeah he ran for 9 yards so what he is not the guy gonna take us anywhere Bell is.

Just like Blast just pointed out Bell is a major part of our passing game.

19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I blame heavy rust for his 1st game. Light rust + tough defense for 2nd game. However, from this point forward I expect vintage Bell.

If he has a bad game against the Bears, then I would agree to start hitting the panic button.

20. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

RELAXXXXX!!!!:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    When your up 14 points with the ball and a few minutes left.. Don't kill Bell.. Let Conner or Watson run some...

22. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Listen, I'm all for giving Bell a break and giving Connor some carries, but more important than Connor's running ability is his pass blocking ability. And before anyone says it, I don't give a flying hoot how his pass blocking was in college, this is the NFL, not college. Rookies typically struggle with pass blocking. Perhaps the coaches know something we don't and they don't want Connor getting Ben killed because he can't block yet. When Connor is ready to help the team win, the coaches will play him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

You can't have both, you can't be ok with it when we win but not when we lose. His style don't change based on wins or loses, also based of the level of the other team means a ton at least imo.

Bell is an all in one rb where as most teams have a 3rd down back. Do we need to give him a break well maybe but we have to get him going before we worry about giving him a break with Connor. Don't you agree with that?

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok did I miss something here, all this talk of rust is killing me. Last year Bell missed the 1st 3 games came back in week 4 vs KC and ran for 144. The next 5 games failed to get over 100 yards, heck his best was 81. We lost 4 of those games, where was the talk about rust then????

I feel like a lot of us are getting cloudy vision about him for a few reasons. The hold out which none of us like but come on it is over. And the fact that we drafted a kid who has a great story and a local product. I like Conner hope he has a great career for us but he is no Bell and this team is set up for Bell's skill set not Connors.

25. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Was Bell allowed to participate in training camp that year?