1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell is killing the PA passing game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Sep 18, 2017.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Bell is not the Bell of old his slow style always allowed Defenders more time to fill the hole , but he was a threat to break big runs . He is no longer a threat and the LB'S do not step up on the fakes this is closing down PA passing windows .

It is time to play Conner more his style is better suited because he will hit the hole faster.He will also make Defenders fill the hole quicker because no one wants him at full speed . This will create more passing windows and open up AB,Bryant,JuJu, and Eli to get open earlier and quicker .

Bell should have his work load cut in half at least until or if he ever can show he deserves the snaps . It is my take the more we use him at this time the less effective our O will be esp. in the PA passing game .

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The defenders seem to be figuring out his style, but I can't believe a guy could slip that far in one off season. This is an example of why vets and starters go to camp, scrimmage, play in the preseason ect. (I hope).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I re-watched the second of the MIN-PIT game this morning (when I could stay awake and actually *watch* it). Bell had a number of runs where he slipped through a clot of big men and got 4+ yards where there seemingly was nothing.

He's not "back", but he's getting there. As both he and the O-line continue to improve, the run game will become its dominant self.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I needed a good laugh

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    IMO the "stellar O" is yet firing on all 8 let's hope the tuneup comes sooner than later..They have one more mulligan Sunday before the need for overdrive.

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Browns and Vikings both have two of the best d-lines in the league. Browns were stacking the box. Lets see what Bell does this weekend before we jump to conclusions.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Workload yesterday is fine.

If he's still produce a sub 4.0 yards per carry in week 8, then I will be concerned.

Bell is behind and needs to catch up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What I don't like are those shotgun draws... if I can totally see them coming on TV I'm sure the defense can.

I will give Bell Muligans. 1st game they loaded the box, basically ripped a sheet out of NE's playbook. 2nd game was against a good D. The Vikings entire front 7 is exceptional, especially the NT that gave Pouncey fits.

9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

No doubt.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Does this then mean someone like Ezekiel Elliot is killing Dallas' PA abilities due to his "inability" to bust big gains to due to one game?

I am not panicking over Sunday's game (which I finally watched thanks in part to the horrific NFL Gameday services), nevermind two weeks.

Bell will be back to his old self sooner rather than later. As such, give him the time to do so.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

It's really not Bell despite what mr doom and gloom says. Our offense line play hasn't been great by any stretch of the imagination. I'm almost positive Week 1 was the first time all 5 offensive lineman had played together. In week 2 we played a stout 4-3 defense and to top it off we lost AV for almost 30 snaps and Gilbert to a bunch more. Those things make a huge difference.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This was what I was getting at. :smiley1:

There is so much more towards a running back's success in this league anymore besides their latent abilities.

No matter how good an offensive line is, should they not execute their assignments, the rushing attack itself will falter.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm thinking/hoping it's all just a matter of time to get everything in sync....remember players coming back after absences...guys no pre season and most of our O barely any.....that being said throwing the ball deep far too often and even worse in bad situations where the smart play is not to isn't helping us with our rythm or identity. The more plays we can run without going 3 and out will help us find a groove more than chucking it deep hoping for the best.....our 3rd down conversion rate is horrendous so far. Move the chains keep out D rested and in attack mode.....seems to work for a couple other Offensive juggernauts in the league and we have better weapons.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    The style Bell use & employ remind me a baseball pitcher throwing off speed stuff. Can't throw it every pitch, you gotta mix it up. If you run that patiently 100% of the time, defenses can calibrate & adjust to it. NFL guys are not stupid, they'll eventually figure it out. Pittsburgh coaches should encourage Bell to mix it up sometime. Common sense says he should hit the hole full speed sometime ...this will throw off the timing of defenses. Idk, just seem like an obvious strategy to me...

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Minnesota has a good defensive line. Sometimes you have to give the other team some credit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Stalker alert! Looks like Conner has a new BFF!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Lol. Steelers offense just needs to gel and Bell needs to get his legs back after missing camp. Also, Bryant hasn't played in a year and we have a rookie #3 receiver... it takes some time. They did pretty good against a good defense Sunday.

18. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I said this multiple times in the game thread yesterday. That's not a slouch of a d by any stretch of the imagination. They also kept AB in check for the most part yesterday too. Should we bench him too? (Don't answer that PWP)

19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    You're right, jeh. That D-line is no joke. The LB's are talented too and the secondary is solid with at least one great safety and one excellent corner (plus Trae Wayans who was a very early first rounder). I think that was a good showing yesterday against a very good defense.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    PWP desperately wants to be right about Bell and how they should have traded him so he doesnt get clowned at the end of the year. Youre going to have to take your lumps PWP :lolol:

Bell had 30 touches yesterday, significant jump from week one. He's not back to where he was but looked much better yesterday than last week. Another game or 2 and the rust will be gone.

This run was vintage Bell.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm glad you linked to that clip @Blast Furnace because I definitely had that one in mind when i started reading this thread. This board is crazy sometimes. Every announcer on TV, ever radio personality, other coaches, other players, etc. all say Bell is easily one of the best RB's in the league, but it seems like half the people on here hate him and want to get rid of him. Bell takes what the defence gives him and then some. He sees tiny little holes and regularly makes defenders miss. Be careful what you wish for, because once Bell is gone, you'll realize how many good things he did

• Like Like x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Its been 2 games, and OP wants to give Bell carries to Conner :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah well did you ever think the only reason all those people praise Bell so much is because they DON'T read this board??? LOL!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He's shaping up needs some more work him and the line that is. I do still believe that they need to utilize Conner (in place of O'l Williams) a tad more. Seriously, give the kid a few per game keep him involved. If history repeats itself those reps will be needed.... Not to mention for the umpteenth time over the years, like him or not Bell needs a blow or two throughout the game. It's not stealing touches,it's being practical at this point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant!! :lolol: