1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell: I'll be the bad guy.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 1, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Sure the owners make more. They own the team. They acquire all of the risk of overpaying Bell with guaranteed money potentially putting their organization in cap hell for the next 3 to 5 years leading up to future losing seasons and lost revenue.

The concept of "income disparity" is an issue with homeless, working class, lower middle class, etc and the corporate executives and bankers running the world now.

I don't see Le'veon pan handling or working as a supervisor at Dollar General for $12 an hour in the hill district. I see him rapping, riding jet skis, and sitting out games forfeiting $853,000 for 3 to 4 hours of work a week.

2. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Missing my point... the owners are making a ton of money. The players feel they deserve more of that money. It moves them into that orbit. That's all i was trying to say.

It *also* is an issue with what you are talking about (but, depending on how you draw the line... it's also an "issue" with upper middle class too)

3. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Why are you comparing cities in the nfl as ground to pay? That has nothing to do with how they get paid. And again you took one example. Kirk cousins probably has made over 90%more than every QB in the 70s or 80s. Its irrelevant. Sports are changing. Players are gaining more control. Coming to the table with more bargaining chips. Plus also the 70s werent completely equality for black athletes. This was around the same time they told a guy like Warren moon he wasnt "smart enough" to play QB. So therefore I wouldnt also expect black athletes from wayback then to be compensated on the level they are now. Blacks still weren'ttotally treated fairly at that point. And it's not just the nfl. Every single sport athletes have made far more.

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I never mentioned location anything to do with how they got paid. You made the comment initially regarding cost of living, which I even stated had nothing to do with anything. I did have fun and follow up with your comment however showing you were incorrect based on that premise also.

You're comment "sports are changing" is exactly what the entire point of my previous posts focused specifically on how much the pay has changed. Comparing the "one example" is relevant because it compares two top running backs of their era in the NFL being offered the largest contract for their position at the time. Comparing Bell to Kirk Cousins; however, is irrelevant as they are in the same era playing two different positions.

As for players "being more in control", ask Earl Thomas or Le'veon Bell how much control they have right now. It's true not many jobs can retain you to work there for an extended period of time; but these are the rules of the game they signed up for initially that enabled them to be able to make that 14.5 million a year to begin with.

You're race card is also irrelevant as it clearly stated that Walter Payton received the largest contract ever in the NFL at the time. The topic of race was excluded from the article entirely. Walter was black/African American. So that point is shot down also.

The point still stands that nfl players have it pretty damn good in the NFL now << underlined it for you. In comparison to ever before. Not too many jobs where you can forfeit $853,000 dollars for four hours of running and catching a football for work.

Re-stating the that not many other jobs provide you a guarantee of anything besides a paycheck every two weeks required by law. Some places even require you return their sign-on bonus or only partially receive it if you do not fulfill their contract out for working so many years, etc.. << talking healthcare there.

In short, they're turning into a bunch of winey, entitled, cry babies. There is no gaurantee in anything in life. Earl Thomas might be out for his career. It's just the way it is. Hopefully he prepared himself for the workforce with his years outside of football. I could get hit by a car on the highway tomorrow at an MVC becoming permanently disabled, I will get no more than a thank you from work with condolences and a disability check.

Also try flipping off your boss and see how that goes for employment at other jobs. These people are living in a dream world and they're demanding more. I find it quite amusing.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  5. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    All spot on !

I still can't understand how anyone can even think comparing athletes to normal working people has any merit..It doesn't,they are not like us at all.They are in a completely different stratosphere and they know it, and act like it !You think any of them give two sh!!ts about you and what you make an hour .?
    Hell,I'd take what a practice squad player makes a year .I think its around 400k,my wife a I bring about half that for our family of 6 and still manage to have disposable income for vacations every summer ..So just stop with the cost of living BS and they are worth every penny BS

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree

Just as an FYI practice squad salary for a year is $129,200

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It is that's why I didn't rant with it.