1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell: I'll be the bad guy.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 1, 2018.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    My point is that 30 million you keep clamoring about could easily be blown. He's not the only example their are several more.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    95% of NFL players are broke in 5 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i've never said anything about 30 million or any money, but now that you brought it up most people can live a very nice life on a lot less than that. that is a lot of money. :cool:

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It's pretty pathetic and sad, but you're right. The sports illustrated study of 2009 had it around 75% of NFL players are broke within 2 years of leaving the league.

So i really don't feel sorry for these people. I know plenty of people with kids and everything working much harder doing a better job with their finances. Give me what Le'veon would have made in two years off of the franchise tag alone and see what I can do with it.

5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Players are workers and or employees period. They are interviewed, assessed, selected, drug tested, attend meetings, and go to work. Or atleast to hear them tell it with phrases like...

"Ready to get to work", "gotta put in the work", "need to get back to work and figure this out" and "I work my ass off".

Every employee enters a partnership with the owners that put them to work! They simply cannot exist without each other in whatever scenario you dream up. Without the workers/employees/players as you titled em EVERY business goes down the toilet! And in that same spirit, no business gets going without hired hands!

Maybe you subscribe to the euphemism of asset or investment which all in the same thought process and honestly speaking, any employee or worker or player is. Now some of the above are more coveted then others in their selected profession for varying reasons of course but at the end of the day they have an assigned role to execute that brings in profit for the employer of the business they took their talents too.

I really wish folks weren't trying to make this about the greedy boss and deserving employee in an seemingly the rich get richer and the poor can't get theirs scenario. Majority of us live in the real world and are considered (just as these kids are) EMPLOYEES without guarantees. We'd all appreciate the purse loosened up and take the extra kick down for sure but the reality is we all serve a purpose and all are replaceable... Nobody lives forever and skills diminish and none of us are going to get whatever bottom line it is we'd like to attach our self value. Hell im in a union myself and the bylaws state I can't picket during business hours, not show up (sick out) or attend Union meetings during work hours etc.. Is what it is.

These athletes that live their life scared of getting hurt and not getting theirs and that holler unfair etc... sit back and ***** and moan about the comparisons to others in their field and all of the drummed up semantics like we all do but they don't really feel it the same.

If none of these idiots know how to manage their earned money be it hundreds of thousands or multi millions that's on them. Most of won't ever get that chance and we damn sure can't cry to anybody about it or drag the company through the mud over it and expect to improve out situation. Apparently these kids can but please... These are employees or workers and nothing more and like I said so is everybody else going to work and all businesses fold when workers don't show up athlete or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    What type of life will they live?

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's because Mike Tyson spent like an idiot. That was more than enough money for the rest of his life. It was more than enough money for another generation or two of his family as well.

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Might have to exclude the weekly flight to Vegas, the strippers, cut back on cruises, etc.. If you can't make it comfortably off of having 30 million in your pocket, you are a fool. IMO.

To keep things in perspective, these people are throwing, running, catching, or kicking a football. I get to enjoy them running into each other at full speed while I sit on the couch and have a beer.

I'll go to work with three degrees that cost of boatload of money and time to get working 60-80 hour work weeks working in healthcare with many times life and death situations also with risk of bodily harm or injury and won't come close to making in my lifetime what le'veon would have made in two whole years playing off a franchise tag. << (yes it's a run on sentence but too lazy to correct it.)

Again. it's hard to feel sorry for them.

9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    From what I've read over the years about Mike Tyson (I'm a huge fan so I've read a lot, including his own book) it sounds like he may have made as much as $1 billion over the years with absolutely nothing to show for it.

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    The pigeonths man the pigeonths

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I've been stabbed in the neck at my job. My life has been threatened by convicted murderers no less than 100 times. The list goes on. As far as I'm concerned, I deserve every penny I make and what I make in my lifetime is far less than what Bell will make in a year. I have zero sympathy for him or any other pro player. What I do have is understanding of their situation. Their situation is not like mine. The two careers simply can't be compared.

What I understand is that Bell feels he is worth a certain number. The Steelers disagree. Bell is not under contract. As a result, he has chosen not to play a whole season because he believes he will get what he's worth next year as long as he stays healthy. I understand his point of view. I don't agree with what he's doing, but I understand it. Remember, he's not under contract. He owes the Steelers nothing. No other league has a franchise tag like the NFL. In other leagues, once you're a free agent, you are free to sign with whoever you want. Only the NFL allows the owners to continue to sign you for a 1 year deal indefinitely. So I understand why some guys get frustrated and choose not to sign their tender. I still don't agree with his approach, but he's simply exercising his rights

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    thats up to them. :cool:

13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    There's no gaurantee for years of income after your current year at your current job. Why should there be in the NFL?

The franchise tag was used by Bell and Gurley to help set the market for their contracts. Players get paid guaranteed money in the top of their positions. If Bell would be tagged again next year, it would be around 22 million dollars of guaranteed money. It goes up exponentially each year.

So to look at it as a victimizing concept is not accurate.

There is no gaurantee in any job that you get paid. Getting 14.5 million dollars gauranteed even if you get injured is pretty good for most people on the planet.

In just two years, he would have made around 27 million dollars in the NFL running and catching a football.

His big risk factor this year is getting a football career ending injury. Your risk factor is getting killed. Retiring at 30 years of age with a healthy bank account is the envy of most people.

You can compare the two because at the end of the day, both are jobs.

The Steelers were in their right to franchise tag him. Bell's within his right to not show up until he has to. The very union contract that people cry about him being victimized is the very thing that enables him to make so much money.

The idea that over three fourths of all NFL players go bankrupt after two years out of the league is their problem to deal with.

If they can't manage their 27 million dollars they made in two years alone to live comfortably and set up retirement they have problems. The average life span of an elite NFL player is around 10 years.

Why should they get gaurantees that the rest of the world doesn't? It seems to me they have a pretty good deal going. Never before have NFL players gotten paid as much as they do right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Whether you think he's right or wrong...whether you agree or disagree with his approach doesn't change the fact that it is within his rights to do what he doing. He didn't break his contract and certainly didn't break any laws. Some are taking this way too personal,wishing injury and bodily harm. Some are saying we don't need him but seem bent that he's not here...
    You can't compare his job with any of ours because the money is in another stratosphere. While we may be happy as a pig in **** with the money he has turned down and is currently wasting doesn't mean he has to be. He has already made like what 30 million in his career and he is taking a chance and doubling down on not only his and his families future but probably his kids ,kids future.
    Look at the money actors and actresses make. I don't see a major outcry about that. I mean look at he Kardashians if you want to throw up in your mouth. Bell actually has a skill that not many people in the entire world have. If any of us were top 5 in their profession in the entire world we might be thinking a little differently.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Never has any sports players got paid a such as they do now. But the world and cost of living is much more expensive than it was years ago. In the 80s you can go to the store with a dollar and have a bag full of stuff. Not now. Not comparing a dollar to million about you get what I'm saying. And like I said 27 million is a good amount of money but you acting like they making bill gates money or money like the owners make. That's the type of money you never go broke off and can build GENERATIONS OFF.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Fun facts.

According to BLS inflatation rate of 3.12%, 70 million today would have been approximately 22 million in 1980.

https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?

"In 1977, Payton led the NFL with the most yards rushed in a single game, with 275 yards against the Minnesota Vikings. For that single performance he received the Most Valuable Player award (MVP) for the season. At the age of 23, he was the youngest player ever to receive the award. That season was Payton's personal best, as he averaged a gain of 5.5 yards per ball carry (the highest of his career), and rushed for 1,852 yards, including 14 touchdowns. The Bears signed Payton to a three-year contract in 1978, with annual salaries approaching one-half million dollars. In 1983, he signed the highest contract in NFL history, with a $240,000 lifetime annuity."

http://biography.yourdictionary.com/walter-payton

To put things in perspective, Walter got paid 11.4% of what Le'veon was offered adjusting back for inflation per year. That contract was the highest the NFL had seen at the time.

So the cost of living argument really doesn't hold water as this is one area that salaries has vastly outpaced cost of living and inflation.

I'm not against Le'veon looking to get paid, but let's not pretend he's a victim here. If you can't set up yourself and generations behind you with 27 million alone in today's economy then there is something wrong.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I just laugh at the folks trying to justify the worth of a professional athlete compared to an average joe

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    But that's one example. Im.pretty sure over a large sample size cost of living would prove that. Hasnt minmum wage increased? Why is minmum wage higher in places like dc and nyc than the south? Because the cost of living in the south is much cheaper than the north..

19. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree. Bell is within his rights. He shouldn't have to be criticized for doing what he feels is in his best interest as long as he is playing by the rules.

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yup. I'm sorry I know I will probably break the disagree record with this but I would welcome him back with open arms. As long as he can patch things up with his teammates and suddenly becomes all in. I know two very difficult scenarios but I'm saying hypothetically. If he would be able to help us win a SB its all I care about. I know I spew a lot of criticism and frustrations around here but I have a lot of passion for the teams I root for and I want to see them win all the time. Do I think it's realistic? Of course not.....sports is a outlet for me,something that distracts me from the every day grind. I bask in my teams success and I take their losses and especially their performances in their losses pretty hard because I'm a fan-atic.
    I'm not into any Fantasy Sports the actual games themselves are my version of it. I know it's a dream for my teams to always be the best....but I dream big.
    I've said before I'm not Anti- this guy or that guy I'm Anti- poor performance and especially Anti- not seeming to be doing **** about it.....What's that insanity definition again?....

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Whether the cost of living is higher in the north and in cities than in the south and rural areas is irrelevant to what I just posted.

To put it another way, Le'veon got offered 88.6% more money than Walter Payton did in his day adjusted for deflation. < going back not forward.

This is a reflection of how much more players get paid now than they used to which is a pretty fair comparison because both individuals were offered the greatest contract at their position at the time.

But if you want to play with cost of living comparison of cities (don't know any teams set up in the sticks), Pittsburgh is below the national average for cost of living. At least since 2016

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost_of_living/city/pennsylvania/pittsburgh

It's because it's not the economy it used to be, unless of course you're playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers getting paid more than any other player in the National Football League at your position. ;)

Having a lot of fun here. Keep the comments coming :D

22. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No sh*t.... i'm nowhere close to burning through my first $30MM :rolleyes:

23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    For the liberal voting needs if you want to be honest.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  24. WinTheNorth

Oct 16, 2011
    This.

Regardless of how you feel about it, this is a pretty direct result of income disparity. Media and Owners are making a TON more money and the players are working hard to "get theirs" and while it may seem surreal to 99% of the population the players are being reasonable in their economic framework... the framework itself is the thing that's unreasonable to 99% of us... well maybe less than that but whatever....

I'm going to resist the urge to go deeper on this because it will take a decidedly non-football slant :)

Having said that, I wonder (SILENTLY) how much more or less inflammatory it would be than "kneel gate"

25. WinTheNorth

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure what this means (but, as with my most recent post, it may be treading dangerously close to political commentary... feel free to PM me if you want to tell me what you meant :) )