1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell: I'll be the bad guy.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Greedy. So?

2. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    You are much more understanding than most.

3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    So where's the hate for the owners and other players that make as much money as they can? I don't see a problem with Bell doing what he feels is necessary to improve his earning potential. I also understand the Steeler's stance.

Do you take less than your market value at your profession?

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I sided with the players during the CBA. I side with who I think is right and call out those I think are wrong. I think Bell is wrong. I don't believe players should be able to name their price. They are the employee. Doesn't work like that.

Yes, I do charge less than other companies in my profession. Guess what, I still live comfortable and don't need to budget.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    If this is what it has come to with players and money then I am out as a fan. What the Seattle player did and other players reaction to it made me sick to my stomach. If they've taken the "this is a business" line to this extreme then I am done with all of them. The NFL as a whole seems to think they exist in a vacuum where there are no other interested parties. If there were no fans, these selfish, greedy idiots would not be able to sit in their multi-million dollar homes and whine that they are underpaid and ill-used. Star players get absurdly rich whether they win or lose so they don't care. Owners are the same way. The fans go out and buy the tickets, the jerseys, sit in the stands and buy over-priced food, often with money they had to save up for. We take a small part of our weeks and years to sit and cheer on our teams and hope they can win it all. Imagine if the fans were as flippant about their allegiances as the players are? These people really make me physically ill. I am going to go out on a limb and say the NFL will not exist in ten years. Players just want to cash checks and not play. The NFL overreacting to every injury and taking all hits out of the game. The us vs them attitude between team owners and players. Who suffers in this environment? Not the players or owners no matter what they say. They're all full of it. We fans suffer. We put more heart and emotional investment in our teams that any owner or player.

For those who are always on the side of the players saying that they should always try and get what they can because tomorrow they could be hurt and then they are out money. Earl Thomas has career earnings of $55.91M. think about that when you want to side with him and his horrible behavior and whining. Bell has career earnings of $30.58M. So you keep on suffering guys, it must be hard to think about all that lost money. How will you ever survive if you had to retire today? Give me a break.

I grew up a Steeler fan because my family were fans. Every season I get excited about maybe this will be the year we win again. Through disappointment, anger and joy I've never waivered or wanted to waiver. Growing up those guys who played for the Steelers were devoted, or at least seemed that way. How many times did we hear guys say they wanted to win for the fans? How many players today would say that? I'll bet less than a quarter. We'll see where this goes, but if it keeps getting worse with these egomaniac players and stingy owners then I'll go back to just watching college football where there is more emotion in one game than in an entire NFL season.

6. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I prefer to understand without getting my feathers ruffled. Bell is right and the Steelers are right. Each does what they feel is in their best interest.

Players are not employees. Players are in partnership with the owners. Without the players the NFL goes down the toilet.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He lied to his teammates, then screwed them over. When he didn't report the day before the opener, as he told them he would do, he ducked their calls. He has taken shots at them on social media. Now he wants to claim he is holding out for the good of other players, which is a gigantic load of bull. He's acting selfishly, which is fine, but lying and claiming altruistic motives is just more reason to dislike the guy.

I don't hate him, but I think the criticism is absolutely fair.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    You could say that about any profession and those professions likely make a heck of a lot less. You know who is going to have to pay for these huge salaries? Not the owners. They'll pass it all off on the fans by raising ticket, concessions, and merchandising prices.

Also, Bell's got plenty of money and could retire today. He's greedy. They all are.

Here's a novel idea. The star players could take half of what they'd usually ask for. It is so much they'll never notice the difference, and then pass that savings along to the fans by cutting ticket and concession costs.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They are not partners, thats ridiculous.

10. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Professional sports has always been about the money. Players are hired mercenaries more so today than ever.

You are right. The only people that WIN in professional sports are the owners, players, and any entity or person that has financial gain as a result of sports. Sports are entertainment for the fans. Some fans take it to far. The average fan gets nothing if the team wins or loses. The emotional high of winning vs the low of losing is out of balance for a lot of fans.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Earl Thomas had a contract. 4 year..40 million. Guy was mad he was going to make $10 mil....on a contract he signed.

Same with Khalil Mack...was to make like 13 mil in the 5th year option (I think)

But BOTH of them had a contract. BOTH of them showed up.

You don't have a contract. You didn't show up.

Hard to be "the Hero" and not "the Bad guy" When you turned down 70 million. Hard to be the hero when there was nothing more to negotiate and it was time to play football and you are partying in South Beach.

You will surely get your money next year. As it only takes one team to to throw their checkbook at you.

But I am calling my shot today. Bell will not see the end of his next contract. They will pay him maybe 50 million over the first 2 years.....and he will be cut as an over priced, over the hill 30 year old back before he sees the rest of the "record breaking" deal he signs.

He will make his money....but he could have made that money here and even more in local endorsements...his own restaurant...etc...

Sure Bell is better than Conner.....but is he 2153% better? Because that's the amount of money he thinks he is worth.

HACK

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Why is it ridiculous? Explain to me what you believe is the relationship between the owners and the players? Players certainly are not treated as "regular employees". Players have a union. Have the freedom to negotiate salary. Players share almost 50% of all revenue. One key that lets you know that it is a partnership is that the league shuts down without the players.

Maybe my definition of a partnership isn't the same as yours?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think the owners and players are working towards making it a partnership, but it's not there yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    You are right, people do take it too far. I do, however, think that if you are a fan of a team and not necessarily just a fan of the sport as a whole, then you do get something out of your team winning, but no, it is not financial. You know who does benefit financially when the fans are happy? The owners and players. When fans are happy they are buying tickets and merchandise. If you are a losing team then your fans are not going to be happy and they wont spend so much money. It is just not as fun when your team is losing. For example, I am a Penn State fan and I try to go to one game a year. I have to budget for that trip in time and money. Am I going to make that investment if the team stinks? Nope. I'll watch it on TV or maybe just read about it online afterward. I don't buy that jersey I was going to buy to go to the game.

I wish these guys would just once take the fans into consideration when they pull these stunts. I think I mentioned before that the only player I was ever in favor of holding out was Hines Ward. I remember hearing him talking about wanting to wear the black and gold and retire a Steeler. How many of today's players talk like that? I can't think of any. Now it's "I gotta think about my long term future" and you know they are filthy rich already, like Thomas and Bell.

15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Too bad we don't have Alvin Karma.:smiley1:

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Right. I’ve been saying this forever. There are plenty of players on one year deals or in the last year of their contract. Why do some of these guys feel like they should be guaranteed anything beyond that?

If you’re worried about getting hurt and buy a ****ing insurance policy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They are the owners. You know the ones who have built the business over the last 86 years. Bell is a worker.

18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I would pay them to stay off of social media and making themselves look like jack asses

• Like Like x 1
  19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yup. Same applies for any relationship where you get paid by the owner. We are all worker bees regardless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's his right to do whatever he feels is best for himself,his family and his future. Right or wrong it's his choice...
    Would you rather ....have Bell off the team and no SB or have Bell come back and help us win a SB?

Sorry I had to borrow your Would you rather idea Glenn.

:popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Mike tyson went broke off 400 million.

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    what???????? mike tyson. now there is a financial genius. do you even read what you type? :cool:

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, really am not going to waste time on this. The owners hire and fire (cut) payers. They are the boss. Yes, I guess your definition of partnership is different then mine.

24. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I agree with you. It's extremely odd to see these deeply visceral reactions to his actions.

I wish he could stay with the Steelers. And I think both he and his manager handled the contract negotiations poorly in the beginning with regard to improper communication both through and with the media. But I understand what he's trying to do from a business perspective.

Top performers get top dollars. He's just making sure he gets his market value. It's what we all do... or should be doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yupp. That's why ppl do understand me here. If the steelers disbanded as a franchise today I'd still watch each and every game of nfl football on sundays. I'm a fan of the game and currently play it. I'm not just a fan of a team I'm a football fan first then I'm a fan of my tean.