1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell getting a free pass?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mr F, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Where are the breakout games, heck even breakout plays, from the supposedly "best" running back in the league? He was good in KC game, and nothing spectacular since. I know it's a small sample size, but part of that is his own stupid fault. Superstars are supposed to carry teams on their backs once in a while, not just be a solid cog in the wheel.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    He consistently got yardage when there was nothing there. I thought he and Hamilton were the most consistent out there. No, he didn't bust any long runs but then again he wasn't playing our run D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    A few things:

I respectfully disagree -

1) The offensive line did a poor job opening holes for him. He was continuously searching for a crack to open for him. In spite of this he still gained respectable yardage and took a lot of time off the clock and kept Brady on the bench.

2) NE set their defense knowing LJ was the QB and dared him to throw deep and thread the needle. He did OK - not great and certainly not close to BB on a good day. Their D was able to key on Bell and plug holes on runs and screens. I'm not sure a healthy D Will would have made much difference but it would have helped some.

This was a winnable game and the loss is certainly not on Bell - it was more a comedy of errors on all three phases plus coaching. Even if half of those had been corrected we could have won this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I believe Bell was well over 100 yards from scrimmage.

5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    In the last 3 games you are talking about...Bell is responsible for 37% of the Offenses yardage....was almost 40% against the Pats.

Take those stats for what they are worth.

HACK

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Did pretty good in the Jets game too.
    Anyway you're wrong. He's the only guy who's constantly doing anything good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    lol I just, *sigh* I don't even know what to say anymore.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Some of this stuff is just silly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    great this thread has set off one of the board alarms!

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Jesus I wish people would settle down. Ben's the only one who cares, Tomlin sucks, bell sucks, shazier sucks, brown is overated, we don't play to win, and we don't put players in position to win. Jesus people Landry Jones was our starter and 50000 other players are either injured or trying to play through injury.

• Agree Agree x 8
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm thinking I know what the F stands for in the OP's name and it's not football. But if I'm not mistaken the word that means "not real" is spelled with a "ph". :facepalm:

12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    .........and your point is????? (just kidding TSH). Sadly you're making very good points.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Bell has produced when ever given the chance. If you are going to criticize Bell's production than I think you need to point the finger at Mike Tomlin and the OC.

I agree btw that we need to be leaning on Bell more. The fact that our back up QB had 47 pass attempts and Bell had 21 carries falls squarely on the coaching staff. That's just moronic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Mr. F is a nice reference from a brilliant show, which makes this post even more puzzling

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I was thinking sadistic comedy but fair enough either way.

16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Just curious, what do you want from Bell? He averaged 8 ypc against KC. He averaged 5 ypc against Miami. He averaged 4 ypc against NE, a team that was focused on shutting down Bell and making Landry beat them. He also had a ton of receiving yards in all those games, got numerous 1st downs, blocked well and got open so that his QB had an outlet when under pressure. Yeah, he struggled a bit against NYJ, but they have a good run defence. He made up for it in the receiving game though.

He's averaging 5 ypc this season against some good rushing defences and against a team that planned to specifically shut him down. He averaged 4.9 ypc last year and 4.7 the year before. Those are HOF kind of numbers, not just for 2 years obviously, but when done over the course of a career. I don't know what you expect from a RB, but if you want more than 5 ypc, your expectations are completely unrealistic.

So I'll go back to my initial question, what exactly are you expecting from him that he's not doing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Patriots were stacking the line to stop the run, Bell still managed to make some plays even if there weren't big holes for him to run through. Some Steelers fans football knowledge is severely lacking.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This thread is ridiculous. Dumping on Bell? Really??

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Guest

Guest Guest

Bell was a bulldozer out there yesterday. He fought like hell for every yard he got. He is the least of our worries.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Not a lot of people know this but Mike Tomlin and Todd Haley actually killed Kennedy, staged the Watergate break in, wrote the series finale to Seinfeld, and caused Han to shoot second. However, in spite of all this, Le'Veon is still looking good this year and is easily the most consistent player on the team.

• Like Like x 1
  21. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

Go take your Meds

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Speaking of meds where is Steeler guru? Haven't heard anything out of him since he got medicated for the game last Sunday.

23. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    upload_2016-10-25_10-1-59.jpeg

24. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Sounds like someone who judges play by Fantasy Football points....

25. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Heck yes...he's ask to be a receiver and runningback...not just a rb that can catch the ball out of the backfield every now and then but a bonefide receiver. And should I say that he's great at both?