1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell doesn't have to report at all this season.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Real steel, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    He’s not sitting out the entire season.He’s s fool but no one can be that dumb,can they!I never knew if he plays the minimum amount of games they could franchise him.Good information!Now knowing that wouldn’t be better for his cause if he came in around game 8 or 9 which isn’t the minimum?

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

No, if he doesn’t sign the tender it will be the same as this year.

3. BleedBlackAndGold

BleedBlackAndGold Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Bell will sign the tender and show up in time for this year to count. (Game 10 or 11.)

Whether the Steelers play him or bench him will depend entirely on how Connor is doing and where the Steelers sit in the playoff hunt. These decisions won't be made by anger or bitterness.

Finally, whatever you think now, whether we fans forgive him and love him, or hate him forever, will depend on how he plays and what he does for the team during those 6 (and hopefully more) weeks.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see how Bell can be accepted back into the lockerroom.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    My mistake!You said they could transition tag him if he reports for the minimum amount of games.I would think he would avoid any kind of tag so he is not tied to the Steelers.Like get his cake and eat it to by signing just before the minimum amount of games allowed but still showcase himself for a big contract in free agency.

6. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
  7. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    You know - this x 1000%.

I wondered about what effect this would have on his mindset and game going forward.

8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I developed my opinion of Bell after his second drug related suspension. He should have been traded that day. I haven't celebrated him since. I don't deny his talent, but that did it for me.

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This is pretty funny, and accurate.

From Bell's perspective, how does sitting out a year not impact future team's concern with his NFL readiness?

How's he going to get his big time contract with doubt and uncertainty looming?

I think the guy signs the tag, just to show he still has it for his selling point for next year.

And yeah, probably best to sell the jersey.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Huh?

Right now, he’s not making anything. He’s unemployed.

Although, there are his rap royalties.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think each game he misses costs him 1/16th of the contract. Either way he made it pretty clear (before the jags playoff beatdown) that he wouldn't play under the tag this year, said he had plenty of money and other interests. I guess he meant it.

12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Pretty funny.

Something tells me his 855 thousand a game is going to pull in more $$ than his rap career.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    God, I miss #36....

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    JEH Me and 4 other guys got thrown out of a strip in New Orleans. Girls were dancing on a pool table. One came up to our 2 foot round table wanted to know if we wanted her to dance on our table for 3 bucks each. I said you take a turn on the pool table? she sayd yes. I said we will just wait and watch free. MGR threw us out. said we insulted his best dancer

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Meanfish

Meanfish Member

Jan 18, 2016
    I remember Adam Schefter (who I’ve lost a lot of faith in, he seems to be have misinformation anymore?) saying that Bell would have to report by week #8, because the Steelers have a two-week delay they are within rights to apply. IE- if he waits until week 10 and they slap that on him, his time won’t count. Anyone else know anything about that?

16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This could very well be a possibility.

He sets the bar high, and if he doesn't gets it retires.

He's publicly mentioned it. He's obviously in this solely for the money. His behavior leads me to believe this is his thought process. I doesn't have a passion for playing football. It's just an ends to make the means.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    The only issue is that if another team comes in with a massive contract that Bell signs and the Steelers don't match it then there is no compensation at all if they refuse to match it. We wouldn't even get the likely 3rd rd comp pick that most people are saying we would get if we don't tag him at all and he just signs elsewhere.
    That's generally why most teams use the non-exlusive franchise tag. Those net you 2 first round picks from the team trying to sign away your player.

19. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't see the Steelers just lellting Bell walk away for nothing. They will deal with the aggregation. Bell will either play or they will trade him.

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    So you want to tag him next year if he doesn't show up at all to get a 3rd round comp pick and hold the salary cap hostage for 17.5 mill? That's 17.5 mill to be used on upgrading this pathetic defense were all witnessing. Could have been upgraded this season.

No thanks, the rap giant can ride off to another team and don't look back.

21. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Not at all what I said.

If he doesn't show up at all this year we can keep the franchise tag on him next year for the same 14.5mil. On top of which our cap space this year will grow around 855k per game that Bell misses. Any cap space not used this year rolls over to next year. So in essence we will already have Bell's cap hit covered next year if he doesn't show up at all this year.

What I was saying is if he reports for the minimum amount of games this year (I believe it's week 10) we could put the transition tag on him next year to try getting one more year out of him if he won't sign anything in the next offseason. The point I made with this though is that if we do put the transition tag on him next year (assuming he got his minimum games) and another team comes in with a massive contract that we refuse to match then we wouldn't get compensation for him leaving in the comp pick formula.

If he does report for his min number of games and we don't put any tag on him we would most likely get a 3rd round pick for him leaving.
    i'm not really for the transition tag being put on him, was more just laying out another option (that could be cheaper than another franchise tag).

22. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I am not into that rap garbage but a good friend of mine is and said Bell is actually really good and could probably make more money doing that then playing football so maybe he will not show up......... Anybody know if that is true about Bell being good at rapping?

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Your friend is high.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    If the FO is confident they won’t be able to sign him for 2019, using the transition tag is pointless. It’d be best to use either the non-exclusive franchise tag (two first-round picks) or no tag (likely a third-round pick).

Specifically which option should depend on how much the FO felt the non-exclusive tag’s consequences would hinder an acceptable (to Bell) offer from some other team.

25. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I really have no interest in Bell ever playing for the Steelers again. I know its a business, and I know he is completely within his rights to sit out till he wants to come back.

But he is wasting one of Bens last years. He is wasting Browns prime years. He is hurting the team more than helping them. He has put his $ above his team. I would agree with him if the Steelers were low balling him. But 2 years in a row they offered him twice the money of the #2 back and he said no thanks..Pay me more.

Go get your money Bell. I know someone will pay you. But I suggest you try to get it all in the first 2 years or guaranteed money...because you will never see the end of the contract. You will be 30 years old and not have a HOFer at QB, a HOFer at WR and one of the best Olines in football.

HACK
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1