1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell applying for work at Dairy Queen

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Sep 1, 2017.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm into the team thing. I would rather he had been there. But when I think of the money involved, and the number of guys who get hurt in preseason, no matter how small, and I'm not sure I would risk it. Just a thought.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There is that way of looking at it.

The problem is that Bell seems to be making a lot of highly public in-jokes. Like, I don't really get what the punch-line is about here - I can think of several ways it could be taken, and what it's meant to "say", including that he just saw the form and thought it would be funny to do it on the spur of the moment, or that he's making some larger point about his current contract.

The problem is that those kind of jokes can work in the locker room. Broadcast over the whole of social media it becomes a different fish altogether. Another sign of immaturity, really.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to speak anymore about Le'vean Bell.
    I LOVE his skill set, I believe he is receiving bad advise.

Just a side note, I love James Conner, I am a PITT HOMER, I advocated for him in last years draft.
    James Conner is not in the same league as Le'vean Bell. Please people understand this.
    James is a wonderful person and good football player and will help the Steelers in certain area's.
    But he may never have the skill set of Bell. Forewarning if you think he is Bell's replacement, he is not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't think any player in the foreseeable future will have the skill set of Bell. It's not just basic speed, catching ability etc., it's also the timing he's developed, vision at the LOS, and so on. It's much the same as with Ben - we will never find a Big Ben clone to come straight in after he's retired. These guys are once a generation, if not more.

So if we are over Bell after this season (not saying we are, but if), then we're not going to find another player like him. We may find a player who brings enough to win consistently, and that will have to be enough. I don't if Connor is close to being that player - if he is, great, if not, like you say, he seems a good guy to have on the team on several levels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I mean I can see what he done as being unintentionally condescending towards people who work jobs like that. Although what he really needs to be thinking about is the fact that there are pro athletes that have made tons more than Bell is even asking for and have still wound up broke. I know he's thinking about trying to be "set for life" and all that crap but, in reality, he is already set for life if he's not a complete moron with his money. This year alone, even with him playing for what he feels like is too little, would set him for life. I'm not "against" him making all that he can. I'm just saying that he wants to give the perception that he's gonna starve to death if the Steelers don't pay him what he's asking and that's far from the truth. The dude could never play another down, never work another day, and still die with millions in the bank.

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    True... but the Steelers will have a slim chance to win vs. Patriots at Heinz, as opposed to ZERO chance at Foxboro in the playoffs.