1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell a no show at camp and has not signed tender

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im not so concerned about him not being at camp but why not sign your tender? You can still negotiate a long term deal. Would he really hold out?

Starting to get an uneasy feeling that Bell will be here only 2 more seasons. Think he's going to be difficult with his contract demands.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He is still rehabbing isn't he? This is slow media day and making noise. If he says he is holding out then I'd worry.

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He might be, but that doesn't explain why he hasn't signed his tender.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Saw a couple of speculations that said he hadn't signed because it is the only leverage he has during negotiations. If that is the reason it is a dumb one. Sign the tender, and trust the team to take care of you.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I am not surprised personally.

This inevitable situation was likely since 2015 to begin with. Le'Veon Bell has himself and only himself to blame. Repeated suspensions give Pittsburgh a hefty amount of leverage. A shaky injury history and the position itself being so prone to longevity is icing on the cake

Something tells me there was more to James Conner than just the "Plan B" narrative here. Not saying he will immediately start over Bell but too many pieces are beginning to add up indeed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Do you suspect a Sammie Coates/something's up with Bryant-esque pick?

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

With JuJu? No.

He is needed for offensive red zone production. Initially though, Sammie Coates was the "Plan B" for Martavis Bryant. Now that Sammie's fingers are still not healed in addition to having Martavis back, I believe Sammie's value has been lowered.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think he meant whether the Conner pick was a bit of long-term Bell insurance like the Coates pick was a bit of long-term Bryant insurance. I think yes. I'm sure we want to keep Bell, and will try. However I also wonder if his contract demands behind closed doors are unreasonable, and the team is quietly preparing to move on if need be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh... then yes to that as well.

Really though, this does feel is circa 2015 for me.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He hasn't signed his tender because he doesn't have to. No more no less.

Similar conversation happened last year with AB.

Much ado about nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    They said on NFL channel that no bad blood is going on with Bell or the team so I am ok with it

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly this.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason I did have suspicion about the James Conner pick.

Not that what is going on with Le'Veon is that big a secret but James seems to be more than just a "Plan B".

Screams circa 2015 with the Coates pick for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. B.LaCe

B.LaCe Member

Jun 12, 2017
    I agree. The funny thing is, this MAY be the only "leverage" he has. If he is willing to bet on his health, (we all know is major risk): He gets $12.3M (I believe) this year and IF he were to get tagged a second year he'd get 120% of that ($14.76M). So IF he stays healthy and gets tagged 2 years in a row, his "guaranteed" salary would be $27M. That's probably the number he's looking at, or close to it, when it comes to the guaranteed money in his "long term" deal negotiation with the Steelers.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Has anybody read any contract numbers offered/speculated?

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Only the ones in Bell's rapping so far...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    better sign it. this is the biggest pay day i would give any rb. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Very doubtful the team has made any offers in negotiation, I expect they want to see if he can stay on the field for 16 games before they commit to a long term contract. Bell may think by holding out he can force them to negotiate but we know the team wont negotiate with a hold out.......Franchise tagging is very unpopular among players league wide, they feel it prevents them from getting the long term market value they deserve....

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Personally, I see little chance of Bell having a new contract this year. That is in keeping with how early the team stated they would tag him. If he has a good season all around this year, they will tag him again next year and then try to work out a contract.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    does his contract or no contract coincide with bens years left? maybe two franchise years left for bell and two total for ben? we free up a lot of money, get them both for two more years and a run and then make a move on an established qb? we get to see what conner can do in the mean time and use bell up for two more years. we also get to see what martavis does and decide if he will be in the plans for a contract. in two more years that puts bell going into his 7th season, which is getting past a RB's prime in this league. at least on the backside of it for most rb's.

we would also be towards the end of heywards and a few others. just some food for thought.:cool:

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Just remember if they tag him next year he gets a 20% raise over this years tag which will pay him 26 million for two years...........

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Understood. I don't see him signing for less and until he stays clean, I don't see them giving him a pile up front.

Just a thought.

23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I know bell is the shizz... When he's available, but he ain't worth what his peanut sized brain is telling him he is. It's a contradiction with him for sure. I don't think a running back should should be tallying 50% of your O's passing stats. Based off of his injury history be it freak accident or ran down which none of us know... Simple logic would be that he needs a lot more of a breather than he gets. I think Pitts overuse of him takes away his actual threat honestly in a couple of ways. A) the team is overly reliant on him and b) he gets worn down too quick throughout the season. He needs to be used aa a decoy more with the threat and he needs his touches to go down albeit in a productive manner.

Hope he signs his paper and kicks azz... But I wouldn't bet the farm on him long term wise the history is just too shaky in my opinion and they have other needs to feed payroll wise

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i do think juju and hunter spell some plan B thoughts. especially for sammie. with the way we have used bell as a wr at times, AB, bryant, juju, hunter, eli could be all we need. bell taking over some of these snaps as well. i just don't see the need for many more past 5 wr's needed. any that have PS eligibility would be kept around for emergency. (ayers)( hamilton??). DHB and sammie could be in trouble of making this team and especially if we keep extra players at another position. (TE,RB,CB,S).:cool:

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe, I am not certain Shady McCoy is currently the highest paid RB @8milion/year. So lets
    try 10 million/yr for 4 years with large signing bonus. WITH STIPULATIONS to cover the Steelers.