1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell’s value up or down?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Sep 28, 2018.

1. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Before Bell’s holdout his value was high based on the perception he was the main reason or a very significant reason for the Steelers’ offensive success. Through three games the Steelers are averaging 29.8 points per game which ties them for 7th in the league. With Bell the Steelers for the last three seasons (2015-17) have averaged 29.3 points per game. Through the first three games James Conner has the 2nd highest total yards (352) from scrimmage in the NFL which is only 4 yards behind the leader JuJu Smith-Shuster at 356. Conner is more than adequately replacing (and displacing) Bell. Are the other owners and GMs seeing this? Are they wondering if Bell’s success or some significant part of it should be placed on the Steelers offensive schemes and the blocking of its offensive line, TEs, and WRs? If a second year player who had very modest success in his rookie year can do as a well as the vaunted Bell, then perhaps Bell should not be viewed as a wunderkind. Is Bell’s holdout diminishing his passed success and his current value? If Conner continues to produce, by week ten Bell’s market value may not be near what he thinks it should be. Has his off field actions and social media blabbering also diminished his value as a teammate?

Of course there are crazy spending owners who probably will pay too much for him

2. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I would think at this point holding out is hurting more than helping. I'm sure there is some owner out there who is willing to pay him for his past performance, but I think that is a huge risk at this point. He might come back and be a very good running back, but I have my doubts about him ever being as great as he was. Just my opinion though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Bell will never get to where he was before he executed this mindless strategy ever again, either with the Steelers or elsewhere. He is looking for a big payday that guaranteess him lots of money that will never be worth how he will perform in the future. I will continue to hope he does not take up any cap money ever again and hope he lands on his feet in the CFL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The NFL has really changed since the days where defense ruled. Seems to be all about offense now so I'm pretty sure some team out there would want Bell, baggage and all.

If I'm being honest I sure wish he would suit up and play great for the Steelers but I don't see that happening so I want him back in football and hope he fails big time.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I want him off the team so bad I'd be willing to trade a couple parking passes for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    While they may be shopping Bell, I honestly dont think were going to get a trade partner. I expect to see him week 10

7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I dont think he'll get what he thinks he is worth. I would be surprised if he gets an offer that matches what the Steelers were willing to give him and he turned down. But we shall see. Most fans have moved on from this sh!tshow and written the dude off and it seems like many players have as well.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would be willing to chip in a carton of Marlboro reds to whoever takes him off our hands.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    This

10. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Sounds like a plan. Send Belicheat a carton of Marlboro's. He can sit in his car with windows up in the parking lot and smoke til he gets cancer. Long term affect maybe we will finally beat them in the playoffs.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    You're probably right about that - however, IMO a team owner would have to be crazy to pay out the kind of money LB is expecting - when the dude is one toke away from an MB-level suspension.

12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I had a tough decision to make. Whether or not just to like your post or hit hilarious. I opted for like. I agree as well so that makes 3 choices lol

13. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Sitting out is definitely hurting his value. shows that he isn't team first, and you cannot dismiss his off the field actions due to his on the field success. some bottom of the barrel team may give him everything he wants and he'll never see another playoffs. he will also be 27 next year and RB careers are usually on the down fall around 29, especially with all of his injuries and touches. the fact that he may not even play this year or 5-6 at the most hurts him too. He screwed up by not signing the deal the Steelers offered him a few months ago. I believe that no one will offer him that much over that many years due to him being another year older and basically being out of the league for a year. His continuous jet skiing and strip club videos is not what other teams want to see. maybe he should use his social media to show that he's actually working out, or just not use it at all.

But there is no denying that when he is on the field, he is a top 2-3 RB in the league. Maybe not on a new team in a year but definitely the past few years.

14. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    U look at the stats and the Steelers offense and record is better without bell.. So he can continue to fatten up and ride Jet skiis for so I care

15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's not true.

16. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I've really liked what I see from JC so far, but I'm holding out further judgment until mid-season. If dude can get it done, I'm more than happy funneling the money Le'Veon wants to the defense. We could add a key defensive player or two with that cash.

17. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Sitting out isnt hurting his value. Sitting out is keeping his value. That's because sitting out is keeping him from having more wear and tear and suffering an injury.

Forget about the team 1st stuff. The Nfl is a big money business. Players and owners understand.

You don't think other team's players frequent strip clubs, ride jet skies, or indulge in other activities? Come on. Bell can work out and enjoy himself at the same time.

Only time will tell if Bell made a mistake.

18. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    What part? The suspension potential or the crazy owner?

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Bell's skill and style is greater than Conners. Bell has been very skilled at shaking defenders in open fields, powering through arm tackles for additional yards, using his stiff arm, waiting for blocks to develop before showing nice acceleration through holes. The issues with Bell in my mind are 1) injuries 2) heart issues 3) suspension history.

Bell's going off of the assumption that one year without hits equivocates to an additional year playing in the year. The reality is, he will be one more year older despite this. Father time is clicking away.

So I don't think how Conner performs is going to impact Bell financially ultimately. Bell will most likely get the deal he's looking for as all it takes is one GM with cap space to think he's worth it.

I personally do not think Bell will be on the NFL radar 3 to 4 years down the road. I'm thinking the guy wants to focus on his rapping.

In my opinion, Bell is someone who has to be motivated to perform with money. I'd of probably offered him his 17 million per year than the Steelers based upon incentives not guarantees, not that he would have taken it.

I think what the Steelers offered was more than fair for the intangibles Bell would have received in Pittsburgh. Sell Coke products with the 3 Bs concept or something. 10 Mill would have been easy to get.

20. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I see him getting like 4 years 50 million with 35 million guranteed.

21. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Think he'd give me a tip to help pack his backs and take him out of the city? I live 300 miles away but would be willing to drive there to see him out of town. I'd have to run over his foot though just for good luck.;)

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Lmao

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I hope he gets half of what steelers offered him lol

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    That wouldn't be a good thing if he got a shorter term deal with higher guranteed money.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ab may not be in pitt that much longer.