1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Belichick was able to turn the Patriots around; why not Tomlin?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TenaciousD, Oct 5, 2018.

1. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    After a 1-2 start, Belichick has turned the Pats around with blowouts of the undefeated Dolphins and pounding the Colts last night. Now they are 3-2.

Why can't Tomlin do the same? Both have HOF QBs. We have more talent on offense. Pats defense is nothing to write home about either.

Many put Tomlin on the same coaching tier as Belichick. Two of the best coaches in the NFL.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The difference is one knows HOW to fix the issues, the other only tries to motivate. I know we keep blaming players for not playing but the offense looks like it hasn't practiced. I'm guessing the coaches don't do anything different from week to week which would explain why teams can take AB out of game with ease anymore.

The other issue is Belicheat knows Xs and Os, he can scheme and devise game plans based on opponent, Tomlin doesn't do that, he has admitted that the Steelers "do what we do no matter the opponent" on more than 1 occasion. That type of coaching leads to the Jekyll and Hyde performances we see during the course of a single game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    He didn't turn anything around. They just started slow.. anyone who thought the pasta wouldn't reel off wins and get on a roll hasn't been watching football for the last 15 years

4. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Because he cheats ,duh

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They got some players back from injuries and suspension.
    Plus picked up a WR that they desperately needed.

They also played stink teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Tomlin can't turn the Patriots around because he's the coach of the Steelers. :lolol:

Seriously, it's not an apples to apples comparison.

1) The Patriots sucked when Belichick rolled in there. The Steelers were already a potential contender any given season.

2) The Steelers not only had to transition from a team of older veterans to younger players, but they also had to transition their style of play based on a changing NFL culture of player safety.

3) Belichick was a seasoned coach when he went to New England. He spent some time sucking with the Browns. The Steelers head coaching position is Tomlin's first stint.

4) Belichick is aslo effectively (if not officially) GM of the Patriots. He can force many of the decisions that Tomlin must collaborate with Kevin Colbert on.

5) Both coaches have different styles of coaching. They use these approaches to service the differing needs of their different organizations.

6) Tomlin stepped into a political arena in Pittsburgh in which the organization and the fans think the QB can do no wrong. Ben earned that respect and voice before Tomlin came into the picture. Belichick made Tom Brady. The political atmosphere is different.

In short, Tomlin is in a completely different position than Belichick. New England, as it stands today, is entirely the house that Belichick built. Whereas the Steelers organization was already established and Tomlin will be another in a line of great head coaches unless he does something to really shake things up somehow. Which would at least put him above Cowher.

In the years to come, New England fans will talk about Belichick the way we talk about Noll.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

Yeah right. Tomlin is nowhere near "best" at coaching. Those "many" you are referring to are on meth or crack.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Simple answer is, because Bill Belichick is way better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Cant change much without a D

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It’s semantics, admittedly, but “turning a team around” for me would be turning like a 4-5 game losing streak into a playoff run.

Losing the odd game then winning the next one doesn’t count as turning things around. The Pats got some guys back and played a bit better against less than stellar teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    They crushed a 4-0 Dolphins team. That was pretty impressive.

12. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Hate to say it, but there is the Evil Emperor, then there is everyone else as far as head coaches go.

If he switched over to the good side (became our head coach, lol) he would institute "Do your job" or you are out of here and a lot of players would get booted or shape up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Last night I watched Tom Brady all alone on the bench scrolling thru an I pad looking at defensive plays with not a sole around him. He was completely studying the defense and what they were allowing him throughout the game to that point (4th qtr). He then went out there and put points on the board. He does this every game all game long. As much as I can't stand the guy, I have to appreciate his intensity.

Belicheck would not be nearly successful without Tom.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. FeedTheMachineFTM

Jan 1, 2012
    Matt Cassel

15. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I was watching that game. The network cut it off at halftime and switched to Bengals/Falcons. :lolol:

16. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Tomlin and Belichick aside, IMHO, Brady is a better QB than Ben right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Belichick was considered a clown in Cleveland then he became a genius when he got Brady. It all starts there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    No need to exaggerate to make a point. Check the Fins current record. Beating the now 3-1 Titans was a good victory but beating the now 1-3 Jets and 1-3 Raiders not so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Seriously you guys?

Steelers and Patriots both start slow every year. Both pick up steam and are called SB contenders. Problem is one is an actual contender, and the other one is cottage cheese butt grabbing, Gatorade tossing, Al bundy defensive coaching, with bug eye expressions in between.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. FeedTheMachineFTM

Jan 1, 2012
    He didn’t have the control in Cleveland like he has now in NE .I guarantee Cleveland would want him now
    The guy is head and shoulders above Tomlin in every way

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was about to say exactly the same.

My point remains. Let’s talk about which teams were turned around at the end of the season when there’s a bit more perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Bellichick and Brady are obsessed with winning. Tomlin and Ben are not.....It clearly shows in their preparation and dedication.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    NO ONE does.

And there's the answer to your question

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No one ever says Tomlin is as good as Belichick, not even the biggest Tomlin supporters say that.

Also, there wasn't anything to turn around. Poor example by the OP.

However, I do think this is the most vulnerable Patriots team since Brady took over.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I disagree on Patriots. I'd be surprised if they lost 2 more games in the regular season.... at least 12-4. Probably 13-3 or maybe they won't lose again. Regardless, Patriots will get a bye and at least #2 seed.

• Agree Agree x 1