1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Beat Cincy and then rest Veterans/injured ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelCity_NB, Dec 15, 2020.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm sure this has been touched on in other threads but just wanted to centralize some thoughts.

I think we should go out and beat Cincy, and if KC beats the Saints, I think we should rest all our veterans and injured players vs Indy and Cleveland. I believe KC will not likely lose to ATL or LAC . So, if we can't get the the #1 seed, then I don't really see much of a difference in getting the #2, #3 or #4 season.

If we beat Cincy, I believe we clinch the AFC North, so not sure what much more we have to achieve and I think we could really use the rest. Our defense and Oline are banged up.

If KC is #1, then the remaining 6 teams are likely to be Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Cleveland, Indy and Baltimore. As for Pittsburgh, I don't think there are any easier or better matchups in there. If Miami did get in at #7 maybe that would be more of an attractive matchups, but assuming they don't get in, then I don't care if we played Tennessee, Indy, Cleveland or Baltimore.

I get the pros and cons of doing it, but I just truly believe the rest would offset the negatives. Rest Ben, AV, Pouncey, DD, Heyward, Tuitt, Vince, Haden and anyone else who needs it.

Anyone with me?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Sounds reasonable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Yeah I think this is what they need to do. I don’t think they have a good shot at the 1 seed any more and it doesn’t matter whether they’re 2 or 3. I don’t think they should be resting players for both of the last two games unless they are banged up, but all the starters should definitely get a game off before the playoffs.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If we’re fortunate enough to beat the Bengals then yes we should rest guys. If it gives us a better shot at being healthy for the playoffs then it seems like a no brainer. I’d also get the team locked in a bubble of some sort. All it takes is one Covid outbreak to ruin everything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    As horrible as the offense has looked the last 3 weeks, I don't think you rest jack, you don't have a whole lot of chances to get any better.

Maybe you rest guys after the Colts game if nothing to gain, since the bye week is probably out of the picture.

I think Ben is the one who requires rest the most. Colts defense is super good, if the offense can look more on track against them should help confidence going forward.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I agree. There’s a rust factor from not playing but at this point health>rust

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes. I’ve advocated for this in other threads. This team didn’t go from 11-0 to 11-2 because it suddenly sucks. We have injuries mounting, and there may be some fatigue as well. I believe the rumors about Ben’s knee troubling him, and I’d like to see him recoup a bit during the final two weeks of the regular season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    My gut reaction is to say yes, rest some guys, it’s been a grueling stretch since our bye was taken away. But as others have mentioned, the offense is so poor right now, you probably want to try and get them on track. Hopefully they can find a groove against Cincinnati. Hard to feel comfortable resting an offense that has really struggled the last 3 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I forgot to point it out in my original post, but don't forget how we had to take our bye week way back in Week 4.

If we are serious at making a deep run into the playoffs, that is an awfully long stretch without a break.

I know our performance isn't where it should be in order to reward rest, but I think a 2 week break is exactly what Ben's arm/knee require.

Both Indy and Cleveland are physical teams and I worry about the extra physical toll that is going to bring, when it would be highly likely we will meet them in the playoffs again anyways.

The cost of those victories may just not be worth it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    There isn’t much difference between 2 and 3 this year with limited to no fans but I would still rather play a potential rematch game with the Bills in that divisional round if that indeed is the matchup for whatever the reason might be whether it’s no fans or limited fans at Heinz Field and make the Bills travel as opposed to the Steelers having to play in Buffalo again and travel themselves. I just didn’t like the quiet lifeless atmosphere in Buffalo the other night it was very strange. Heinz Field would at least have some more noise pumped in and just be a better feel I think overall for the Steelers. I would rather play 2 games at Heinz Field before having to travel to KC potentially for the AFC Title game as opposed to playing one home game wildcard weekend and then go on the road to Buffalo the next week.

Now I would obviously continue to monitor the 1 seed chances the next few weeks and the chances of catching the Chiefs but I think this offense with Ben needs to play and get back in sync to feel good about themselves going into the playoffs. And you can’t do that if he is sitting on the bench along with other key players on offense.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  11. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    There would be too much rust with 2 weeks off. I can agree with giving as many players as possible a week off against the colts and give others the week off before the browns.

12. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I don't know how you rest anyone on the offensive side of the ball. There has to be some level of consistency established in both the run and pass that would give you some hope of being able to compete in the playoffs and they have 3 games to figure it out. That being said Ben did go a whole week w/o practice when he was on the COVID list and he did rather well with the time he had off, but the defenses hadn't yet keyed in on what the Steelers were doing at that time.

13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Play first half against Colts, then pull Ben, Pouncey, Al, JuJu, TJ, Haden, Minkah, Cam, and Tuitt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Let’s be clear. We did not have a bye week. The team was practicing through Wednesday of that week in anticipation of playing. Same during the Thanksgiving fiasco. The were practicing as if the game was happening on Thursday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday

• Like Like x 1
  15. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Too much rust would be a legit argument if we were already playing well. Since that's not the case and we are really limping to the finish line I'm of the opinion what is there really to lose by resting?

After 13 weeks I think it's safe to say this is the best you'll get out of this group as is. So why not rest veterans, try to further develop some of the young guys, and hope that the rest brings our vets back healthier. There may be an element of rust but what's worse? Rust or what we have seen the last few weeks. I feel like the risk / reward measure makes it an obvious decision. Can't get any worse than this.

Option 1: Let them finish the season
    - best case scenario: Status quo and lose,
    - Worst case ...they get further injured and then you're in the playoffs with rusty backups.

Option 2: Rest them.
    - Best case : Young guys emerge, vets get healthy but are rusty. We have a chance.
    - Worst case: We are totally rusty , backups do nothing, and we get our butts kicked.

• Like Like x 2
  16. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Rest starters the last two weeks and put in a new offensive playbook for the playoffs. Have Ben and the wide receivers practice more than two days together. Have a robot dummy hit DJ everytime he takes his eyes off the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Rest and alternate Quarters with Mason and Dobbs get these guys some reps just in case .. Use those games to work on game plans and to put different stuff on tape ... If Dobbs shows good in the first game expand his package for possible use in short yardage situations test that a bit more in game 2..If nothing else it would force Teams to prepare for 2 different styles of Offense...

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think this is the most logical. It is a risk/reward type of thing. They still need on field reps, especially with limited practice and even sometimes no practice due to the virus. You do not want to risk injury and the rest is beneficial, yet staleness sets in pretty quick. Also what is the difference between 2 and 3 seed, but much really as you still get 1 home game, you get the 2nd home game if 2 loses and you win, but let's not even look that far ahead lol.

• Like Like x 1
  19. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they should rest Fichtner too. Give the playcalling to Canada and if they like what they see, then show Randy the door.
    Will that happen? Highly unlikely.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The Colts have the Texans and Jags, and the Steelers. If the Colts win out, the Steelers could end up being the #4 seed, with Tennessee in the first round, and Kansas City possibly in the second round. The Steelers need to beat the Colts or the Browns to avoid 4 losses. The Steelers could see the Browns in back-to-back weeks.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'll agree with whatever the coaches decide to do. Personally, I'd give them 2 weeks off to make it worth a real rest. Can't play any worse than we have so why not. Besides, its not like they are not doing anything in practice so I don't think rust is really a factor at this level. Conner had at least two weeks off and he did just as bad as the rest of the RBs had been doing. Same with Pouncey. No difference.

• Like Like x 2
  22. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    This is 100% correct and I would even go as far as if we are up Monday night big in the first half Ben would be pulled. Multiple reasons for this are as follows:

1. Injuries are killing this team - we need to get healthy
    2. Receivers can spend the off time catching balls and working on timing
    3. Offense and defense needs to be looked at and tweaked because we have become predictable

two major goals moving forward: win AFC North and get as healthy as possible for a playoff run.

• Like Like x 2
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

The 2019 Baltimore Ravens learned this the hard way; one additional week of rest vs three being irrelevant. While different scenarios between the two, outside of Big Ben and some of the Offensive Line, there are too many new pieces on the Offense; namely in the Receiving Corps. A lack of contiunity could spell greater disaster than what we have seen already.

Let the Offense get into a rhythm to close out the season. It will serve them well heading into the Post Season where they do not have to worry about getting into one. Each drivers significance is greatly augmented and peak optimum synergy is what is not just needed but also essential.

24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Not making any excuses for the stink we have seen from the O the last few weeks. That said 3 games with little rest and during that time how many practices did they really get in (granted the same can be said for many teams in this covid year). It obvious the O needs on field work and a series or two is not going to fix that. It is a balance for sure, getting the reps and knowing when to pull to avoid further injury. I honestly do not know if they can fix this O, but if the D can get healthy (even with the key losses they have had), if the O can produce enough this team can still go places...not overly optimistic, but have seen enough negatives on the other teams to know they are vulnerable as well.

In spite of everything this D has not really been blown out this year, yes perhaps a weaker schedule, but take away that pick 6 and they still only gave up 19 to Buffalo. Again not overly optimistic with how the O has played, but you hold most teams under to 19 and we should get some wins.

25. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018