1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Based on WalterFootball.com's mock, who do you take?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelerNDC, Mar 30, 2012.

1. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
  2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    If Jonathan Martin falls that far, I really hope we'd just up 3-5 spots to grab him. It wouldn't cost us much and he's a much better prospect than anyone else we'd get. Without trading...

1. Donta Hightower, ILB
    2. Alameda Ta'amu, NT
    3. Senio Kelemete, OG

And btw, Devon Still is not a NT. He'd be a great 3-4 DE, but don't need him there.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'd love Martin or Hightower in the 1st, Osemele or Silatolu in the 2nd, and Josh Chapman in the 3rd.

Any combination of those will work for me, including back to back OL.

4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    First of all Devon Still is NOT a NT he is a 3-4 DE. With that being said I like SBD's or Snack's versions!

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I couldn't disagree more with this statement from the article:

Heath Miller has been a big disappointment in the passing game. He's a great blocker, but he doesn't get much yards after the catch, and he was among the leaders in drops per target last year.

Has this guy been watching the Steelers the last several years? The fact of the matter is that Miller is always very effective when he's targeted in the passing game. When Miller is roaming the field 12-15 yards down the field wide open and Ben opts to sling it 40 yards downfield to a double-covered Mike Wallace, what can Miller do about that? Miller was a QB in high school but he can't throw it to himself. He also has the best hands on the team so that stat about him dropping passes is very mis-leading. You can make stats say anything you want. And another thing, Miller may not be the fastest tight end in football but he has decent speed, runs hard and very rarely ever goes down with the initial contact. He's also usually falling forward when he's tackled. This guy's mock draft lost all credibility with me when I read that statement. WalterFootball.com should be more careful about who they allow to write for them!

6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    love Martin and Glenn. If the coaches honestly believe that ILB is not a major need this year (guys on the roster can handle it) then I'm fine with them. But if they feel we need an ILB (I do) then we have to get Hightower. The drop off between him and the next inside backer is just that huge. So Hightower in the first.

Would love to be able to take o-line in both the first and second. Silotulu should still be there, maybe Zietler, maybe Osemele. The problem becomes NT. There are three NTs,IMHO, who can walk out next year and contibute. Poe, Ta'amu, and Chapman. There are 4 teams that need nosetackle in a major way. KC, Indy, Pitt, and Houston. Poe goes in the first, hands down. Probably KC, maybe Philly, someone will take him, most likely before us. Which means even if Ta'amu and Chapman makes it to us in the second, you have Houston two picks after us, Indy with the 1st pick in the third, KC at 11, and Houston again has Philly's pick in the third. Which means the chances of of those two making it to our third pick have just gone down a lot. My pick in the 2nd is Chapman, because I believe he is underrated because of his injury. Someone kept those blockers off Hightower this year.

Third is o-line, o-line, o-line. I'm hoping one of the Brandon's is there, Brookes or Washington. Would prefer Brookes, think he has more of an upside, although I think Washington is more ready to step in next year.

7. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, we discussed that a little in this other thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2620

It seems we aren't alone though. I left this comment:

Finally, someone with the courage to call Heath Miller a disappointment. He's been about as disappointing as Aaron Smith, a Hall of Fame caliber player who also never had great stats.

At least you clarified your BS. For those of you that missed it, here's Walt's original comment on the subject:

"The injury-prone Heath Miller has been a big disappointment."

So smart. Clearly a lot of research goes into what you do here, as well as common sense. Not that it takes much research to know Heath Miller is a big disappointment. Everyone knows that.

Oh, and the 49ers definitely DON'T already have one of the best receiving tight end tandems in the league. They definitely need to spend their first round pick on another one.

Obviously what you do takes a lot of time, but I'm starting to wonder if it takes a lot of work. If this much could be that wrong, maybe it's all made up? If you're going to say stuff like Heath Miller has been a big disappointment, in ANY phase of the game, why don't you just put a big "I don't know anything about football" sign on the top of every page?

and as of right now, it has 651 thumbs up and only 39 thumbs down. I agree with everything you said. Some of the things people are saying about him lately just seem so made up! He can't get yards after the catch or break a tackle? Look at the tape, or ask some defenders how they feel about tackling Heath.

8. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Based off this mock draft, and mainly just brainstorming with all the picks, I came up with this:

1 - Mark Barron, SS, Alabama
    2 - Shea McClellin, ILB, Boise State
    3 - Senio Kelemte, OG, Washington

Not sure I really like it, mainly because it's so different than anything being discussed for us right now. Barron isn't much of a superior athlete, but he's tough, instinctive, and seldom makes mistakes, all good traits for our defense. McClellin is being considered as a 3-4 OLB, but I think he could transition to 3-4 ILB in a pinch and be a quality player for us along th elines of Barron - smart, tough and seldom making mistakes. Kelemete was basically the best of what was left for OG prospects, but I don't like waiting until round 3 for OL help.

No NT's this draft, mainly because as of now I've seen 3 or 4 pure 3-4 NT's labeled as first-round quality propsects for the 2013 draft, and I like our chances better next year of landing our future NT. All the 3-4 transition teams this year will probably focus this year on NT, allowing us to ride out a final year or two from Hampton and picking up our guy next year, hopefully with less competition.

9. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree with these three.