1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Banner Wins Right Tackle Job

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersFanIrl, Sep 9, 2020.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019

Congratulations to him I hope he makes it his own for a long time to come he has obviously worked very hard in recent months

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    More concerned now with who is next to him if DD is out. That leaves Ben vulnerable with two new guys playing that side of the oline and very thin at backup for center. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    If Banner beat out Chuks, that doesn't bode well for the ex 3rs round pick. I thought Chuks was a bit of a gamble when we drafted him and he has yet to transform into what we had thought.

If he can't beat our Banner at RT then he is not likely AV's replacement at LT.

OT will need to be a high priority in the 2021 draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think chuks is fine and better suited to LT. Banner has that big body to help the run game. Chuks has been learning both tackles and guard so he has value. :cool:

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Chuks did ok when he played last year but yeah, I thought he would win this camp battle. Very disappointing not to have nailed down a spot going in to year three. That 2018 draft doesn’t look great overall at this stage.

I think offensive line will be a high priority in next years draft regardless. They need to get younger. Three of your starting five are free agents and the remaining two will be 31/32 respectively.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Sure will.

Good thing the 2021 Class is stocked to the brim! Penei Sewell will not drop to us sadly but I would not mind Alex Leatherwood from Alabama. Walker Little is another good one as well.

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Hoping Zach comes through. I like his story. But stories only go so far, like most businesses, this is a results and production based business.
    It rewards those who succeed and casts aside those who don't.

Unless your Josh McCown then they just continue to pay you until your 107 years old for some reason.

8. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think they can handle it b&g but it's the lack of them playing with each other that is the concern. All on one side of the line too. Pass protection and blitz pickup and switching all takes time to get a unit playing together. Not so much about the individual players we have, I think we are ok there.:cool:

10. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Sucks that Decastro is already hurt. Hopefully it’s not a long term thing. He is by far the best OL we have as both Pouncy and AV are clearly declining

11. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Don't make him angry...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I like some of the players the Giants have in the front 7, should be a good test for the new starter.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope sarrett is up for the challenge.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Perhaps I'm a little hard on Chuks but I'm also not blind. Every time he was on the field it was either a missed block or holding call. His play to me wasn't close to an NFL caliber OT, it was just short of abysmal and Banner isn't a lot better. I think Dobbs will be playing because there will be a need for a running QB as Ben won't survive even the first half of the season.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    TBH, I would move Feiler back to RT, banner, chuks or Dotson to RG and wis to LG for at least this one.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes exactly. Wiz started at LG in last year's SB. Leave him there. Dotson at RG and Feiler at RT. This is the best week 1 lineup and use it until DeCastro gets back

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

I do not realize why this was not an option. That said, it is too late to turn back at this point for Tomlin. Hopefully Banner will do well!

I am rooting for him!! :herewego:

• Agree Agree x 1