1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bandaid or all in, the greatest coaching challenge in the last 20 yrs.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Oct 17, 2016.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This latest injury to Ben offers the greatest coaching opportunity for the Steelers since the change of leadership from Noll to Cowher. This week we will hear the typical tomlinisms, next man up, standard is the standard, not reinventing the wheel, and so on.

The question that needs to be asked is will the use a bandaid like they typically do and run the same offense they always do. Expecting Jones and Mettenberg to run Ben's offense with slight modifications until he is back

Or

Will they go all in and say we aren't scrapping our play book but we are putting in plays that are tailored to Jones. Landry is best running a spread offense from the shotgun so game plan to have him in it for 85% of his plays. Modify plays that have Ben under center to use Jones in shotgun. Sell out and go for broke to win.

It's a defining moment for Tomlin and Haley what will they choose?

FWIW I think they will bandaid it.

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Landry 5 picks and Brady 8 tds. Tomlins eyes will fall out lol

3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Expect a heavy dose of screens and short passes to Bell. NE will be prepared for this and play tight coverage. I expect int's and probably a pick 6. That's the danger of throwing quick passes and WR screens when everyone on earth knows you are going to do it because you have no faith in your back up QB.

I'm surprised Zach hasn't surpassed Jones yet. Maybe that's the trick up our sleeve? Walk Zack out in the 2nd quarter.

4. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    If we don't score 30+ we will never win with our D. And I don't see Landry Jones doing that. Your right on one thing though we'll see what Tomlin and his coaches are made of in this game.

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I kinda agree in theory. I believe this staff has got to earn more than their checks this week. I mean they have to get creative. I wouldn't change much on offense. just use more and more running plays. get a hat on hat and let bell see how good he can be

6. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This message board will implode if Tomlin coaches em up and pulls out a W. I hope it happens. Here we go Steelers!:herewego!:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    More than likely we will lose this game, but I just want us to play well. Just execute the plays and look like an efficient football team.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Let's implement a brand new offense in 1 week's time!

9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Sarcasm not withstanding they don't need a brand new offense they need to identify what Jones has done well with and had success with. Everything else should be stripped away. Put him or Mettenberg in a position to succeed rather than forcing them to play like Ben.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We better take the air out of the ball or Brady will put 50 on us. I would expect
    a heavy dose of Bell and DWill in this one and hope for the best. But you never know with our
    coaching staff? Who will guard Gronk?

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Timmons will. He'll go face mask to face mask with Gronk, and then :puking2:
    Game over!

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'd be quite happy if NE went all out to stop the short passing game.

Jones' issue has often been being too slow to make his progressions. Deep ball accuracy is not a big problem for him, though. He's no Ben (obvs), but if NE try and play tight man, you'd expect opportunities to open up downfield.

That's provided Jones can have the extra second he needs to make his reads. So pound the run, and try and diffuse the NE pass rush.

It's a big ask.

13. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If there is one man who can take this team on his back and win a game. It's Leveon Bell.
    You need long time consuming drives.
    The best way to beat Tom Brady, is you got to keep him on the sidelines.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Just have Landry on a short leash, maybe even 1 fumble or pick and jerk him out, put mett in and see if his experience can manage the game or not, we have to have all options open for this game, and by the way the morning line in my paper have the pats favored by only 1 1/2 points, is that a missprint????

16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Let's go all in then.

17. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    IMO the reason we don't have a chance against NE is not becuase Ben is out... it's because we can't pressure Brady. We have no ability to get to him given the results so far this year.

If I'm NE, I'd be going to the air quickly and taking an early lead. #2 Stop Bell. Once you force us into 3rd and long Make Jones think he's getting blitzed and expect the screen or dump off to Bell. This will force him into throwing int's. They should have no problem pressuring Jones with 4 rushers.

18. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The greatest coaching challenge is a challenge of the coaches and f.o.'s own making for ignoring the backup qb position, even after seeing what it was like last season... if we cut Landry jones, I can guarantee you that no team in the league, no matter how qb starved they are, will give him a look

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    oh i would take that bet BNG

20. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The coach which needs to "change things up" prior to this game is Butler, not the offense. We are going to need turnovers. We are going to need that short field. Granted we need some longer sustained drives to chew up clock, but you can't win this game with a new offensive scheme. You win this with the D doing something extraordinary. That is the only chance.

Personally, I think we are so banged up that we have NO shot, but you never know. If Ben and Heyward and Wheaton and Gilbert and Shazier were all playing...we can play with them, but at the moment we just may not have the weapons to compete the way we need to.

21. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Isn't that playing right into Brady's hands?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Time of posession my friend, time of posession. Can't score if you don't have the ball.

See Duke/ Louisville of last week.

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You missed the joke. "Take the air out of the football" - Deflate Gate.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That joke went right over your head.

25. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    This is the most frustrating/perplexing element of the season. They didn't have any great pass rushers last year but got 47 sacks and 30 turnovers with scheme - namely pressure from blitzing.

They've pretty much called off the dogs this year and have dedicated themselves to "getting home with four". The only problem is, they don't have four that can get home.

They're not going to beat Brady by rushing four and giving him a clean pocket, they probably won't beat him by blitzing him from every angle all night, either - he usually kills the blitz. But maybe they'll hit him and force a turnover, or rush a throw that gets picked off.

Or knock him out of the game.

Don't take cheap shots or go for his knees, but hit him early and often. I want to see Brady picking himself up looking to the refs from the first series.

Go down swinging, if you will.