1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Snaps

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by The Glory Days, Oct 14, 2019.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    What's up with the bad snaps? I don't recall any time in the past that Pouncey has had so many bad snaps in one game.

2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Some think it could be the soccer pitch. Some think he's trying to remain friends with Ben.

• Like Like x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I think Pouncey was still in shock from having to travel so far for a Home Game! :drinks:

But on the serious side, it was continuous at one point - hoping it wasn't a hand injury - perhaps a cadence issue between he and Duck? It was embarrassing after a while and Duck sure showed versatility and a cool as a cucumber demeanor. :thumbs up:

4. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Tom Brady has had bad games in his career. Joe Greene had some bad games in his career. Hell, if I played in the
    NFL its likely that even I would have a bad game or 2. It happens. Long road trip, different QB, maybe had an argument with his wife. We have to remember that these guys are human too and sometimes just have a bad day.

Pouncy doesn't have a history of continuous high snaps. I think its a one game problem and he'll be his usual self after the bye.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Ben and Rudolph are both 6'5" and Hodges is listed at 6'1" maybe he didn't adjust well to the height difference.

6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Sounds good, but what about the low snaps?

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm kinda glad you're not my Dentist Lambert. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Exactly. He airballed some and rolled others. It wasn't cadence. It wasn't communication. It had nothing to do with Duck. Pouncey just couldn't shotgun snap accurately. Like I said, I've never seen anything like it from him.

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe he was worried about his brother?

• Like Like x 2
  10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Pouncey was off. This coming from an ex-center.
    Who snapped a few high a rolled couple back myself.

He high shot a few snaps and he rolled one back.

Luckily Duck was on it all the time or could of been bad Turnovers.

Very un-pouncey like. But, his defense, this is the 3rd different starting QB he has been snapping to , in 6 games.

11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    From your experience, how does a different qb out of the shotgun change how you snap the ball? Under center, I'm right there with you. But out of the shotgun? And to that point, there were no problems with the exchange under center. He was snapping to the 3rd qb in six games with no issues under center.

12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How wet did field become?
    Uniforms were very muddy and loaded with paint.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    There was no mud. Sorry. It's a sodded field. You get dirty.

And loaded with paint? There is paint in maybe three places on the field.

Dramatic much?

14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Maybe after a couple of high snaps he over adjusted and snapped it too low. I guess the only one who really knows why he had a bad night is Pouncey.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Is this what made him fire a couple low and a couple high?

16. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Heard somewhere with it being a soccer field that was played on the day before that it is different than a normal field and the ball might have been sticking and pouncey just couldn't adjust to it..sounds crazy but maybe its true

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Pouncey had a large red stain on the front of his jersey in the second half. I made the comment that I wondered where it came from since literally was zero red paint on that field. For those of you who coach and or played is it possible he got his side scraped by a cleat or something that caused discomfort when snapping the ball?

18. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The field was kind of crappy.
    Kind of like when high school and colleges play on it all weekend Hahahahahahaha!

19. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Pouncey was killing me with those bad snaps. Nobody asked him about it after the game either

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He said today that Duck reminded of Ben in handling that low snap. His reasoning for it wa's that he was busy jawing at the guy across from him and missed Devon hurrying the snap count.

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I've seen Pee Wee football fields striped better than that joke of a stadium. Remember the late Charger's TE TD where you couldn't tell if his second foot second was in or out because the broad shaded end line was so faint? And all those extra soccer field lines and marking still showing. Worse than the goofy current Oakland Coliseum with the baseball infield always showing (which will probably not matter when the A's follow the Raiders to Sin City very soon.

22. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I questioned the red stain as well, but then realized the extra large, painted circle on the 50. He got it from that. There were other players with extra color on their jerseys. That field is in bad shape. Real bad.

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m going to take a guess and say that he may have been dealing with a minor but painful finger injury. A “stinger” to the finger can make simple tasks painful and difficult. I’ve had it happen a few times.

24. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    And if that the case, what do you do? I've never dealt with an injury like that while coaching. In this one instance, I sympathize with the coaching staff.

Roll the dice and put the burden of fielding wild pitches on your undrafted rookie making his first start? Who also happens to be short by today's standards.

Abandon the shotgun where 14,000+ yards of your undrafted rookie qb's passes came from in college?

Replace Pouncey who obviously can't make the snaps?

We chose the first option and are damn lucky that Duck was up to the task. He deserved a game ball for fielding those snaps alone. The airball over his head very well could have lost the game for us. How bad would the decision have been to roll with the status quo if that airball had been ran back for a defensive td and we end up losing the game? Especially when we find out later that Pouncey was injured and shouldn't have been snapping into the shotgun. Tomlin and Co. dodged a bullet right there.

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Overcompensation?

• Dislike Dislike x 1