1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Petition on the other MB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by edog55, Oct 25, 2011.

1. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Did anyone see a post on the official Steeler MB by a poster named gpguy in reference to trying to save the Steelers Official MB Petition: (Save the Steelers Official MB Petition)?

I don't know why they are trying to encourage people to stay over there with that mess. I think its a joke. They are saying things like, some people have over 10,000 post, and please go and sign the petition.

I say lets build this board up and make it the place to be. Lets encourge the folks on the other board to come on over a be a part of the new opportunity that we have over here. Lets not support that old situation anymore.. There service to Steeler Nation was less then desired. So, beause there service was so bad, we the consumers deserve a very serviceable situation. Its time to move on. Because there service was less then desirable, they are S. O. L.

GO STEELER NATION and come on over to the new world!!!!!!

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    The only poster I can recall with over 10K posts is Machiavelli. And he's been missing for over a year or more. (Such a great poster too. Shame he hasn't been around) Maybe KevDude was closing in on it. I can't remember. (another great poster lost)

That board is toast. I find it funny that they're excited about having 100 sigs (and I'm one of those sigs for that matter), yet this board has over 200 members. :shrug:

If a post count is what's keeping them there, as I've said in other threads, that's petty... and a tad childish. We're just going to have to keep blitzing them with this site.

Do you want a game day thread with 60 replies? Or 320 replies (could be much more soon).

Do you want a board with maybe... MAYBE 4 people on at any given time? Or one that peaked on Sunday with 114 on at once? And we've had dozens of new members since then. That record will also be broken soon.

Do they want to stay on a board that hasn't accepted a new member in over 2 years???

Do they want to stay on a board where even long time members can't even post?

I'm all for an official message board. But let's be realistic. It's not likely to happen. and even if a paltry 100 sigs on an on-line petition gets us one, doesn't it make sense to stay with the family that MADE THAT BOARD WHAT IT WAS in the meantime?

:scratch: :shrug:

3. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ray D, first of all, thanks for your info that you posted. Those numbers sound good. I agree with everything that you said. I don't understand why those people refuse to try and support that MB. The hand writing is on the wall, they are through. We must continue to blitz them with info about this site. I can't post over there, but if you can post over there, bombard them with information about this site. Let our voice be heard loud and clear. We will no longer support a service that is less then desireable.

4. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Hehehe. That's the other thing. I've advertised this site in public over there without so much as a suspension, deletion, slap on the wrist or ban.

What does that tell you? They don't care! The ship has no captain. The pilot parachuted out. They probably don't even know that site is still (poorly) functioning.

Soon, I'm going to really test them and put the link to this place in the TITLE of a thread. :butcher: :rawk: :swordsman:

5. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ray D, I haven't seen KevDude in quite a while. Do you think we can get his attention. I haven't seen him post on the other board since forever. He was one of the guys who really kept things interesting. Whoever can post on the other board, please send out some shoutouts to KevDude, SteelHack, PWP, Del, and Joey15215!!!

Thanks in advance.

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
  7. Pierogiman

Pierogiman Active Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Is there a way to give members on this board their post count from the Official MB? Maybe the admin can just manual alter it?

8. grannieBurgh

grannieBurgh Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Seconding Pierogiman's suggestion, but if it's too labor intensive can certainly understand. See, TTF, it's just because now we think you're Superman.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The thing is, the people who had those massive post counts had so for a reason. They had a lot to say about the Steelers. So I would kind of expect their post count to rise pretty rapidly over here.

I'm with Ray D on this one. Clinging to post counts seems an odd reason to stay with a board that nobody posts on.

10. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Agree with Thigpen82 on this. Do the stragglers who haven't come over really prize their post counts more than being actively involved in an up to date and vibrant message board? Seems pretty shallow if so.

11. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL! Great post. Nothing like "Fire Bruce" to get people's attention. The old board is definitely on life support. Only several new posts the last couple of days over there. As for the post count issue who cares as long as we all know and recognize the longtime usernames over here.

P.S. old post count 2734 for those counting here :grin:

12. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, I agree. Post counts mean nothing, other than showing that someone posts a lot. I've been a member of countless Internet message boards on countless topics over the last 18-20 years (going back to Usenet when it was all text based). I've had really high post counts on some boards, and I've had fairly low post counts on other boards and never once did I feel like my post count (when boards started keeping track) meant anything. I've seen people sign up for a board and have 1000 posts in a week or two just b/c they post so much, and I've seen members with more useful thought-out posts take over a year to get that many. And if you really are that concerned about post counts specifically from the old Steelers board, keep in mind that a lot of people may have lower post counts because they couldn't get signed up for a long time or because they couldn't post half of the time.

This isn't to say anything negative about someone with a high post count, as there is nothing wrong with having a high count at all, but to me it's kind of like bragging about Playstation 3 trophies or X-box achievements. They show that you are active, but they really don't mean anything in the long run.

13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I have to agree with the comments about the post counts. It really seems immaterial to me. What should be more important is the content of what someone posts, not the number of times they posted: LOL, or KEWL, or something meaningless. What I think is really cool about this board so far (in addition to TTF creating it and working hard to support it!) is that most of us who came over have kept the same MB handles, so people know who you are regardless of whether you have 5,000 or 5 posts under your name. I know who to look for to get meaningful insight about our team and the game in general. But hey, if a post count is what makes you happy, more power to you.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    For some who are worried about carrying over the status of your old post count, I think the real answer is that your name is your status. People who continually read what you have to say, or have asked for you here are doing so by name, not by number. If it's that important to hold onto, you could always stick it in your signature, or I could even add an optional field that would display under your name like the location if you choose to fill it in.

15. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    just tried to post the link for this site on the other board, but the submit button is gone. They're onto us! :-D

16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Nope. The submit button has been missing for weeks now. (Not really missing, just very hard to see. ;) )

17. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    that 'other board" is a joke. has been a joke for years... no one ever responded from the "other board' i hope it goes the way of the dinosaurs.. put it to sleep... i tried for 2 years to get someone to respond to my request to join that crappy board and never got a reply.... hope everyoen leaves and comes here.. thanks to whoever started this board..

18. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ray D, I read your post over there with the same information that you posted over here, and yes you are right, nothing has been done about your post. I believe that they have left the ship, forgotten about the site and really just don't care. Anyone who is still trying to keep that board afloat is crazy. They are wasting there time. You told them right, come on over to this site. If they haven't recognized yet, they soon will.

The guys that you mentioned in your post, asking them to come on over so that they will receive a hero's welcome are all long time veteran posters over there who keep the board very exciting, (kevdude, del, pwp, steelhack, joey15215, and many more). So, keep sending out invitations to those guys until they get here. Infect, if you keep sending out invitations to come on over to this site, then we will know that nobody cares about that site.

19. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I read a message from PWP a few days back where he said he's been real busy, but would stop by at some point. Hack is a member here...joined up a couple days back. I'm sure he'll pop in again at some point in the not so distant future. ;-)

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It would be cool if those guys came over too but we've gotten just about everyone here PLUS a whole slew of new posters who were deprived of the ability to contribute all this time. They are like the kids hidden away in the basement when company comes over, the abusive parents have died and now they are allowed to join in with the rest of the family :yahoo:

If those guys decide to stay on that **** pile so be it, we have plenty of good posters here, let them enjoy the stench and isolation of that putrid place. :roll:

22. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    First post on the new board! Thanks for setting this up Terrible Towel Flying...looks like a HUGE upgrade!

23. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Glad you made it Cbus. Welcome aboard. :)

24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Actually Ray for me it was missing. How much of an addict am I . I tried clicking on it and could never find it. Looked up source code and found it approximate location and still it was unclickable . Tried various browsers 3 to be exact and still nothing. So for me at least it was just missing hehe

Bman

25. Steelsax

Steelsax Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

I read your post this morning just before I left for work. Came home and registered here and was very glad to see some familiar names. BTW, I was steel_press over on the dying/dead Steelers mb.

Thanks again for the post and link :thumbs_up: