1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad News For The FBA Folks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Nov 21, 2011.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  2. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is what I figured would happen once Brown and Sanders came on. I figured he finally had the WR's he's always wanted and wasn't going to walk away just yet.

Sucks. That means our offence will be a joke next year too. We may have good stats, but we'll be very inconsistent and won't be able to score TD's in the redzone.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well their goes at least 2 more Superbowl wins......He says it right in the statement as far as I am concerned........We need to run the ball better not more,,,you can't do 1 without the other which means we will go pass happy......

We can't beat the Jets,Rats,NE, or the Texans in the playoff's with that approach......If we do change the approach like we did last year we can and then his EGO will take over and we can't beat the Packers or San Fran with that approach.....

He is so Arrogant....I have no doubt 'the plays I call will work if we just execute' Bull **** a 5 WR set against the Ravens with long routes will not work.....I guess we see why we keep calling it....he knows our front 5 can block 6 they just need to execute.......

Our favorite running play the 22 counter pike will work because he called it......He expects our 3 OL plus our 1 puller to block the 6 guys that fill those 2 gaps.....He takes no resposnsibility for telegraphing the play and can't see that he is setting the run game up to fail with predictability......But hey it doesn't matter just go execute.....

5. Sixpack

Sixpack Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is it too early to drink?

6. bobtx2us

bobtx2us Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    BA's idiotic play-calling is responsible for the 2nd loss to the Ravens! All we needed was one more 1st down [3rd & 2] & he calls a pass play to Johnson [dropped ball], instead of a simple hand-off to Redman, who was averaging 4+ yards a carry. Someone ought to remind BA & BR that 2/3rds of the things that can happen on a pass play are negative.

I'm not sure we will win out or be in position for a wild-card berth. We have to get through SF, Cincy again & maybe KC isn't a sure win. BA can do the same exact thing on any given Sunday - even against the Browns.

BA sucks & needs to go.

7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am not an Arians supporter by no means. I just think its funny how he gets so much blame for the offense and lebeau gets so little blame for the defense when they blow leads and cant get teams of the field on 3rd down

8. bobtx2us

Oct 17, 2011
    yeah.. I was mad at DL also when the defence allowed Raven's 92-yard drive. But if we'd gotten one more 1st down, the Ravens' drive wouldn't have happened.

9. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    youre right. but you can do that all day. if we could make one play on defense they dont go 92 yrds. if a team goes 92 yards on you its hard for me to blame the offense.

10. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Football is and stays a team game. rarely can you get one part of your team play so great that the other can play like crap and still win games (like the D did early last season).

You can't really say "it's the D's fault" or "it's the O's fault". In the end, both share the blame equally, both had a chance to put away the Ravens for good and both failed to do so.

That said, I still would like to have an OC that a) gets along with Ben b) Ben respects enough to listen to him and c) that knows how to properly use the players on the roster.
    Getting all the three together might prove difficult tho ...

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :goodpost:
    I didn't even catch the 'we need to run better' vs 'run more and better' context. It is so damn frustrating when we have a solid drive and just surrender due to amateur situational play calling.
    It's 5:00 somewhere. 8-)

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In my opinion the two are not even similar. The defense can make play after play, stop after stop all game long constantly giving the ball back to the offense, however they have a bad series at the end of the game and suddenly it negates everything that they have done all game long. All anyone wants to talk about is how they gave up a 92 yard drive and that cost them the game.

In contrast and somewhat ironically the offense can operate almost at a pee-wee football team level and yet a 70 yard bomb to Wallace for a TD is what makes Arians a god. It is like they forget the numerous squandered drives, the negative plays, the mistakes, the gaffes, the sacks and so forth.

Lets remember before the 92 yard drive that everyone flogs the defense with, they had forced a three and out to give the ball back to the offense with under 5 minutes to play. They gave it to them to close out the game and the failure to do that is ignored in the face of the defense not holding.

13. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011

I agree with most of what you are saying. I am not giving the offense a pass. I think it is funny how people defend the defense. the team fails to play a complete game. the offense can start out hot and we have a 14 point lead. next thing you know the d gives up a long td drive and the offense for whatever reason fails to score. I bet 9 times out of ten the game will be tied or the lead cut into. I cant remember our defense giving up such long drives. I mean there have been more 10 min 17 play scoring drives this year than the past 5 combined(know that is not right just seems like it). I think once the o-line is addressed and by that i mean early draft picks. we could have one of the most powerful offense in the league. as i said before, i am not defending arians. I just think lebeau gets a pass most of the time. maybe he has earned it

14. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I've been wondering for a couple years now if the game has passed Lebeau by. He was a great coordinator when the game was all about stopping the run to make teams one dimensional. It worked for a long time, but the NFL has changed, and I wonder if Lebeau just can't keep up anymore. The grass always seems greener on the other side, but i guess we'll never know until he's gone, and either we'll realize the game had passed him by, or we'll realize that we want him back because our defence isn't as good as it was when we had him.

15. bobtx2us

Oct 17, 2011
    We have a) & b).....still looking for c) as long as BA is here. BA is right that his offence is fine, provided that it's executed. What they don't take into account is that some plays are riskier than others when you really need them to work. 2/3rds of what can happen with pass plays is negative. The risk factor is magnified when you need the result.

I think that the order of importance of your OC qualifications should be c/b/a instead of a/b/c.

16. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What sucks is that he even has a say in the matter. If Tomlin won't cut him loose then the FO should. With the talent we have, we should be scoring 30+ points a game. It's BA's lack of plays and crappy play calling that holds back our offense and it causes us to keep our opponents in the game, in my opinion. :amen:

17. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I guess fans are always mad at something but dam I think our offense plays pretty good

18. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    No disrespect but we're 19th in the league in scoring. Here are the teams worse than us and their respective w/l record:

20 Denver Broncos 5 - 5
    21 Tennessee Titans 5 - 5
    22 Minnesota Vikings 2 - 7
    23 Miami Dolphins 3 - 7
    24 Arizona Cardinals 3 - 7
    25 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4 - 6
    26 Seattle Seahawks 4 - 6
    27 Washington Redskins 3 - 7
    28 Cleveland Browns 4 - 6
    29 Kansas City Chiefs 4 - 5
    30 Indianapolis Colts 0 - 10
    31 Jacksonville Jaguars 3 - 7
    32 St. Louis Rams 2 - 8

Is this really the company we want to be in? We have the players, just not the "system". In my opinion it's our offensive coordinator who isn't producing the results with solid game planning & preparation or effective play calling. Don't we have the players to be better than 19th out of 32?

19. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Look at the bright side guys. We won two Superbowls and lost one with him as OC. I'm actually starting to like him.

20. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    Not a problem. I have no issues with you being pleased with mediocrity. :thumbsup:

21. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Look at the post right above yours. Despite all the talent we have on offence, we are pretty bad and we've been bad for 5 years. If not for our defence, we don't win either Superbowl and we don't get to the SB last year. At some point our offence needs to win a few games for us.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You would think we have the number 1 rated offense after reading that :blink: I found the part where they mentioned he was the subject of debate on the talk shows interesting, living in NY you wouldn't know the guy exists, he's never mentioned, ever. I guess there in Pittsburgh he gets talked about quite a bit? Is that true? Whats the take on BA by the talking heads there?

23. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    In an effort to cut down on space I removed the list of teams, but is that stat correct? We're the worst of the good teams, that's for sure, and that's with a consensus top-5 QB at the helm of this team, who has spent/enjoyed the past 5 seasons with the same coordinator. Unbelievable, and this is even worse than I imagined. BA needed to go 4 years ago, or at least go back to WR coach.

Our offense can usually pile up decent yardage, but once we reach the red zone we're toast. BA's philosophy doesn't correlate to a high ratio of RZ touchdowns. What does he do? What value does he bring? I'm 100% confident that Ben can run the no-huddle and our offense will not lose a beat as far as moving the ball down the field. What we need is someone that can design plays, and know when to call them, that will put the ball into the endzone in GTG situations.

Never been a fan of BA and never will be.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We can hope he changes his mind.Once again he does not call the type
    of game that us long time Steeler fans want to see. Maybe its Ben? I don't know
    but there are very few games in which I agree with his play calling.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I live locally the majority of the people around here hate him and his play calling.