1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad media analysis (imo)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Romans5:8, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    All I seem to hear is how good the 49ers defense is and was against us last night. It was "suffocating," to quote one writer. I just can't agree with this. Let's look at some stats from the game:
    SF Pitt
    First Downs 17 20
    3rd down eff. 4-13 8-14
    Rushing yds 100(3.3) 84(4.4)
    Passing yds 187 305
    Total Yards 287 389
    Time of Poss. 28:34 31:26
    Turnovers 0 4
    Penalties 7-49 9-72

Now statistically speaking, Pittsburgh had by far the better defensive performance. Pittsburgh's offense turns the ball over 4 times and still holds SF under 300 yards (keep in mind that the #1 ranked defense for yards against gives up only 11yds/gm fewer than Pitt gave up last night--that defense happens to be Pitt btw @ 276 yds/gm).

But, wait! SF forced 4 turnovers and that's why/how they dominated! Did they? Looking at the turnovers of the game, there was only one that was forced--namely the sack fumble. The other turnovers were the result of bad decisions and/or throws by Ben (the last pick was a desperation attempt, I'll grant). So, SF forces 1 turnover...Pittsburgh gives them 3. And yes, I critique Pittsburgh's "forced" turnovers the same way--I want to see defensive plays that cause turnovers, not gimmies.)

The above does not suggest to me a dominating performance by SF last night. On the contrary, I am quite pleased with how well Pittsburgh's defense played. Remember, Harrison was out, Woodley was not 100% and did not play the whole game, the offense turns it over 4 times (!), and they still hold SF under 300 yds...to me that's a positive to take away from last night's game.

In all honesty, I don't see how anyone who watched the game last night would feel very confident about another SF victory should the two teams play again. And that's even without considering the difference Harrison, a healthy Woodley, a healthy Ben, Pouncey, and Sanders would make.

Just my thoughts
    /shrug

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know if it's the need to fill a saturated media market, but the extremes they flip back and forth on with some teams is ridiculous. Teams are either BEST TEAM EVER or too old, past it, too young, etc.

I agree that we made SF look better than they were last night, and the score was slightly misleading.

That said - they did stuff us.

3. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  4. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes.

5. Steeldefense08

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe u, but when a team has that many passing yards and no TD s it seems awkward.

6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not impressed with 49ers at all.
    If Ben could move, they would have gotten blown out.

7. Steeldefense08

Oct 16, 2011
    That over thrown ball to Wallace could have been a game changer

8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    just think if Ben had had 2 good ankles

9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How about that droped TD pass to start the game.