1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

bad decision

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Kolbassi, Sep 19, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yet the Buffalo fans complained that their team went for it , and that's what made them lose the game.

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tomlin has no belief in himself or his team. His gut has eaten his gonads down to freezer burnt peas. It's been going on far too long. Now we're seeing another 3 ring circus and it's way too early for this.
    :mad:
    Beat the Damn Bungles!

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Easy call to make when your QB can rush for 100 yards a game like Lamar.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Hole them to a FG? Yeah, right with the way the D was playing after the losses? You slippin Dog.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    So you punt because you....

....don't trust the D?

Somebody's slippin', home slice.

6. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    D was missing starters and O was not getting it done. My move is logic based, yours is suspect.

7. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    My bad decision was buying seats on the sun side of stadium. Holy cow it was hot! On the plus side I drank like 4 beers, a water, and a large Pepsi and never had to use the facilities once. Still was great time even despite the final score, and having to listen to Raiders fans crow all the way out.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He had believed in the analytics, the defense, and he probably knew that Gruden would play it conservatively. He guessed right.

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Tomlin didn't trust his offense? But he trusted the defense who was getting shredded.

Bad decision. But it's over. On to the bungles...

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Okay but that is part of the problem that we are not built to get 1 yard. That is a problem of either scheme, player personnel, or type of play. And who's fault is that? Also the way the game was being played, we could not stop their receivers most of the game, did you think we were somehow going to stop them? He needed to take a chance at that point with the way the game was folding. I for one thought we would have no chance stopping them. But we are too predicable in our 4 and 1 plays, but again WHY so predicable.

11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

They are calling that decision to punt one of the worst coaching decisions this week. It continues to say that it was a better percentage to win if he went for it. Not sure where your getting your facts.

The folks at edjsports, a Louisville-based data company that determines win/loss percentages based on 400,000 computer simulations, determined that Tomlin electing to punt was the third-most egregious coaching decision on fourth down in all 15 NFL games played Sunday.

It even labeled the decision as “Tomlin’s Surrender.”

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    They stopped them and got the ball back. Scored a FG to make it a one score game.

It's not about predictability. It's about execution. Obviously, Tomlin trusted the defense to make a stop more than he trusted the young Oline to pick up the first down.

I think Tomlin made the right decision to punt. I would had disagreed but I would had understood if he went for it on 4th down.

My belief is that you don't potentially conceed points by allowing the opposition a chance to have the ball on your side of the field with 8+ minutes on the clock.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah and if the Steelers failed on 4th down people would had called the decision one of the worst during the week. See how that works?

How many times did the Steelers fail to pick up one yard last season with a more experienced Oline? Would that factor into your decision making as a coach?

Safe to say Tomlin was in a no win situation regardless of what he decided unless the team won.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I had a great time as well. Nice to see someone else who lives a good life. I sit on the opposite side. This time of year I look at the people on your side and say ha ha, we are in the shade. In December, as I’m wearing 4 layers and a blanket, I see the people on the other side basking in the sun. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  15. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Hey, if I pay that much for a game I'm going to have fun! Pittsburgh is such a cool city. Big enough to have the culture and entertainment of a big city, but small enough not to feel overwhelmed. I really enjoy visiting there. Also has the more friendly mid-western feel to most of the people. I'm from near Philly, and we're mostly a bunch of angry a-holes!

That said, it also wasn't a playoff game nor a game that decided a playoff berth (hopefully). In that case I'm leaving angry.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    When you fail or lose, everything you do can be debated as being wrong. I thought we spent an entire offseason "rebuilding" our running game for these types of situations. You assume we failed to get a yard and convert. If looking at it from a success POV, we could have kept the ball on O and continue to rest the D and possibly put points on the board. So, would it be easier to overcome 13 or 17 points or possibly 7 or 3 points? As an organization that has made such a big deal on improving our ability to get short yardage conversions, including the owner of the team, you'd think this would be an opportunity perfectly set up to prove something. Instead, we have decisions made by what is in the chapter of "Basic Football Decisions" contained in the "Coaching for Idiots" book that we seem to rely on. JMO>

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'll bet their fans are talking better about their team right now then we are. Yes, high risk, high reward or failure. I believe the Bills mindset was from coming off of a successful year full of momentum/ optimism and these decisions, although didn't pan out for them, is part of their culture and we see just how they responded the next week. The Steelers do not have the same mindset and are not hitting it out of the park so much and there is no momentum to build off of. Sometimes you have to create your own to get some spark going. ie take a freaking chance at something different. Hindsight is easy to use to justify things but what if we did go for it and did make it? A big if, but what IF. We'll never know. Hard to get excited about giving up the ball to an offense that is ripping your D apart thinking something different is going to happen. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If the Steelers 4th Down option was going to be the throwback pass to the RB that the Bills did, I'd prefer that they punt instead.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Yes I totally agree

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    2 Be honest....I was hoping for an onside kick 2 times in that game because our D was so lacking at the time, and I hate onside kicks.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Raiders ran 2 or 3 in that game alone against us!

22. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah and the Oline is still young and developing. There was still enough time left. I made my point clear that I don't believe a team should conceed points with 8+ minutes left in a 10 point game.

Rest the defense? They made a stop to get the ball back.

The team had an opportunity to tie the game with the decisions that Tomlim made.

Unfortunately, the defense could get one last stop. Going for it on 4th and 1 wouldn't had changed that unless we continue to play the what if game.

• Like Like x 1
  23. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    What would had been the perfect run play on 4th and 1 for the Steelers? It's not like we have Bettis running behind all pros anymore.

24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben falling forward. :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    You trust this Oline to pull off a QB sneak? You trust Ben to execute that play?

At some point it gets maddening questioning ever decision. As if the outcome of the game would had been different considering the circumstances.