1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad chemistry with a brooding Bell on team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Apr 17, 2018.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree so many here want to point out the 2 SB teams used RB by committee however they are forgetting a few things like TOM BRADY, BILL BELICHEAT on the Pats side and the fact the Eagles had one of the top ranked defenses along with the #1 offense most of the season. IMO if people want to compare the SB teams maybe we should let Ben go and save that money and play with Landry Jones....it worked for the Eagles right???? lmao

2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :roflmao:

Laundry can carry Foles jock, that's about it NY. Look I know your brainwashed with Bell, so be it. I'm not and you know it.

The reality is the Steelers will play one more year with Bell carrying the rock and thinking he is a wide receiver all the while rapping (horrible I might add) how disrespected he is. I'm fine with that, I don't discount his talent. But at the end of the day he is what he is, a running back. I will cheer him on, hoping this team can get over the hump and win #7. But, if not, to me it was a waste of time and money with this petulant child. Then he will rap his way out of town and take his talents elsewhere and the Steelers move on like they always do.

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Well CK I guess I should of used green font but that was why I put lmao......do you really think I feel Jones is any good???? It was meant that since the Eagles won with a back up QB we should do the same since everyone is pointing to a 2 RB system that is working for the SB teams.

As for being brainwashed with Bell nope no way, I am not a fan of his I hate his running style. What I am a fan of is winning and production and I put all the other stuff aside from that. I wanted a RB last year with his skill set and we got Conner, not happy about it. Now I want a RB this year with his sj=kill set so we don't need 2 RB's to run our system. People can say what they want about Bell's AYPC blah blah blah but the point I have brought up time and time again is what the stats don't show. The pass protection, the connection he and Ben have and the fact that when Bell is in the game other people are open cause the defense has to account for him. The value Bell adds in very high otherwise the Steelers wouldn't be wanting to sign him long term. It is fine you don't feel that way, I understand but don't think I am a fan of bell's cause in all reality I am not. Like you I am all about #7 and imo Bell is our best option to help get us there. :smiley1:

4. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Coaches can fight, and it doesn't do much damage as they are not playing. But when players are not committed to each other and the team, it's a colossal problem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    * along....With the no.1 offense...Think that's the point he was trying to make.The NUMBER 1 OFFENSE...with a rbbc

6. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Watt this isn't directed at you but it does illustrate something I find ironic. The players don't play up to their potential on the field, we lose a game fans feel we should have won, and players not acting right on and off the field...coaches get the blame. Now someone points out how we won despite 2 coaches arguing...doesn't do much damage. Like a I said, this isn't an attack on you (or I hope you don't take it that way anyhow). I just find it kind of funny.

7. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    While chemistry is certainly important, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of no ring. There are plenty of vet leadership on the team to keep some focus.

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I probably should have said the leading MVP candidate before he got hurt in Wentz. RBBC don't work for everyone look at Atl, Minny or Denver you still need talent. You just can't say let Bell walk and sign player X to pair with Conner, you don't know if that will work. What we do know is it works with Bell in there and with a very small window with Ben I am all in for what works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I think it's possible the whole Harrison thing hurt team chemistry: He started off as the OBVIOUS leader at LB (if not the entire D) and as that thing imploded, the D seemed to get worse, culminating in giving up 45 points to a less-than-potent Jags D in the playoffs. They only scored 15 against Buffalo at home previous to running us over.

10. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    No offense taken at all, Jim. I think the person brought up bickering coaches winning a title in 1985, which would have been the Bears, Ryan and Ditka. But the players sure did have chemistry on that team, as no talent on D can overcome a lack of unity to play that well. It's impossible.

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't think I've seen much to suggest Harrison was the leader of the defense. Whether that was due to him, or to the space he was afforded, number of reps etc, I don't know. But I've never had the sense of JH as a leader in the mould of Porter. Similar with Polamalu - he was a great player, no doubt. He wasn't a leader, though.

I think it's unlikely that the Harrison saga didn't have any kind of effect on the locker room, but 'chemistry' is quite a specific aspect of that, and difficult to see a lack of chemistry in the Jags game when there are far more obvious culprits for the loss. Like, I'm not sure what lack of chemistry would look like in the field to separate it from, say, mismatched assignments, blown assignments, slow MLBs not getting to the runner quickly enough, lack of d-line pressure, etc.

So the question would be: what are we specifically defining as chemistry, and how do we see it on the field?

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Another example of how this is more about fans being mad then players. AB in March restructured his contract and didn't have to....why:

Brown probably won’t be giving up any money and may actually be guaranteeing himself more in the short-term, but it’s not something he was in any way obligated to do. The hope is obviously that the restructure will help the Steelers avoid a situation where Bell holds out from training camp again and potentially leaves in free agency next offseason.

I think if there was bad chemistry this wouldn't have happened.......

13. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Now you're just being silly.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Then why was he leading the LB workouts and drills if he wasn't a leader?

15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The 2006 season was doomed when Ben smashed his face into a windshield, chemistry notwithstanding.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    You maybe right, but Parker said the team no longer felt like they were brothers like they did in 2005. I think the fact that Cowher knew he wasn't coming back - as did the team - as a big of a reason as any for underachieving.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I hear you. It was indeed a frustrating season to watch.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I lived in Chicago at that time and you are right. The team was tight. The coaches were not.

19. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    His attitude sucks right now but I have a feeling he will do the right thing from training camp to the end of the season as this year will be huge in determining his 2019 free agency value. That value won’t be what he thinks it should be but it will be more than the Steelers can afford and he will play with a huge chip on his shoulder!Team loyalty is a thing of the past for most of the players in the league even if the money is for only a little more in professional football terms.He would have to be a fool not being on his best behavior and being a cancer on the team with a big payday awaiting him in 2019 with some team that will overpay him!

M

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If no deal is done, you will not see him in training camp. Expect the same as last year about the 4th regular season

game he get's in game shape and is physically ready to play. But their professionals they are not suppose to miss a beat. LOL

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    If JH led the LB workouts that could be one case for being the 'natural leader', though in my mind there's a difference between someone leading a training session (i.e. we're going to do this, now we're going to do that) and more of the big leadership stuff that you'd want from the Head Coach or the team captains.

In the same way that Troy wasn't a leader. One of the greatest all time, so perhaps "leading by example", but not a leader in the sense that you were discussing earlier.

I guess the problem is that 'leadership', like 'chemistry', is a bit of a loose term. Either way, though, we're probably wandering into a different thread topic...

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

IDK about all of that I know there was a lot of going back and forth about Bell being not in game shape and the whole team just struggling. I am on the whole team struggling, game one Bell rushed for 10-32 with a 3.2avg and Conner was 4-11 with a 2.8avg. This team struggled as a whole we ran the ball only 17 times that game. I know it is the thing to do blame the guy who sits out and I am not excusing that but I am not sure our early season struggles was solely based on Bell. jmo

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    That is pretty rough schedule. You cut bell then what are you gonna do. Last time I checked all the good free agents are signed with other teams. This may be our last best shot to make it to the bowl. Bell will be fine once he shows up. Ride him hard and let someone else sign him to a 100 million dollar contract. Guarantee he only has a couple great years left.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    And let's not forget one of those coaches (Buddy) took a swing at Kevin Gilbride on the sidelines during a game. But that same coach was the only coordinator in history to be carried off the field after a Super Bowl win.

25. Neilly71

Neilly71 Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Finally, somebody with some sense. If not having Bell until week one hurts team chemistry, he must be that important to the Steelers success. That's why I can't understand some of these guys talk about cutting him and replacing him with scrubs. This guy is always one of the top rushers and receivers out of the backfield. If he's not in the lineup, Big Ben suffers and you all know that. He is one of the most important players on the team. But you a lot of you guys oppose him getting paid what he deserves. Yeah, he may not be as productive on a different team...that's only because of the different schemes, coaches, and players. We have seen what happens when he is not in the lineup.