1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Backup qb's

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Aug 5, 2019.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I had this same paranoia when James Harrison was cut and look how that turned out. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yea, but you should know by now, I'm never wrong. lol. Do you remember we had these same arguments with Jarvis Jones, and Landry Jones, and what happen. :shrug::smiley1:

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It doesn't matter if he's playing against our sister of faith crippled children's school, the kid is putting the ball on our receivers at the right time and in the right places. Dobbs is not with consistency and he's in his third year. This kid moves the team and scores points. He throws accurate passes at the right time to the right place. The offense has a flow with him, even with guys that will not be here long. That alone is more upside than Dobbs brings. One month vs year three. This should be quite different and it's not. Dobbs actually looks more like the new guy having to run out of the pocket instead of delivering the ball. If you think other teams won't see this you are wrong. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dobbs is doing what Dobbs does. He is missing badly on some easy throws and making the occasional terrible decision while also making some plays. He has been the worst of the three quarterbacks. He has thrown two ugly interceptions, though one was called back by a penalty. Even his two long passes to Washington were both underthrown. To be fair, he could have been worried about the safety over the top on the second one, but he's just not accurate enough of the time.

Dobbs did a lot of his damage against scrubs last preseason. Were you downplaying what he did then?

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The whole league saw it, nobody was burning down the door to acquire Landry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    New Orleans with their short QB, Brees, are just waiting to pounch on Hodges. Brees version II

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You're wrong this time! :lolol:

You just said talent level doesn't matter...and meant it.

I disagree with you on your talent evaluation of Dobbs, just leave it at that but as for the quoted part, Dobbs wasn't doing mop up duty like Hodges. He also had a year under his belt and a favorable contract situation involving Jones.

The situation is not the same and I'd be shocked if they cut Dobbs for Hodges. He may not even lose the #2 spot yet.

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    you're not wrong...

9. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    sorry forgot i had made this lol

Dobbs stinks. Great athlete but cant make a simple accurate throw to the right to save him. Rudolph is clearly better... and drumroll please... eye tests show Hodges may be the best out of all 3 and potential future gem.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dobbs is too inaccurate to be the backup IMO.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    if he had mason's accuracy he would be nfl caliber starter today

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I don't think the Steelers will cut Hodges. But should they and a team picks him up before we can put on practice squad, some will be eating crow on this board.

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    There is one thing I like about Rudolph is his confidence, he came in as a rookie and basically said that his full intent of someday being a starter for the Steelers. That's not a normal approach most take. As that back up your always one play away from being that starter.

I like Rudolph as the #2 because his style of play is more similar to Ben.
    Dobbs plays nothing like Ben, he's mobile and has to make plays with his feet.
    I don't dislike Dobbs but you have to have a system that works to his abilities and I don't think the type of offense the Steelers run will go well with his style of play.

But, people say trade Dobbs, Dobbs has zero trade value, his abilities are quite unknown. His NFL regular season play, was one great pass against the Ravens, and a bad outing when he came in and couldn't move the offense when Ben went down against the raiders.

At best you would get a 7th rounder and I don't think you would even get that. It will be hard for management to let Dobbs go, because a he was a 4th round pick a few years ago. Looking at Landry Jones, he even won a couple NFL games, and he didn't even make it back on to a NFL roster as a FA.

Usually 4th string QB's who were college unsigned Free Agents never impress me. Devlin Hodges impresses me. I want him to be part of the Steelers plans going forward, if nothing else he has earned a spot on the practice squad, but keeping him there scares me for the fear that another team will snag him up. I think many of us are excited about him, but how does he do against starters? He playing against most guys who won't make a roster.

I'm not sure he will get playing time in game #3 but he should in game #4. But, I still think Dobbs will have to play bad, and he will have to play great for chance to make the roster. Or one of the 3 in front of him will have to get injured.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I hope they do not play Dobbs for the majority of preseason left just to see if they want to keep him again this year. I want more reps for Mason & Hodges.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016

But I don't agree with it. Rudolph looked like the better QB in the last game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Pro Football Focus was started by statisticians in England who probably never saw a jockstrap let alone put one on. The eye test tells you that of the 4 QB's the Steelers have on their roster Dobbs is the 4th best.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Only because Dobbs threw a TD but Rudolph didn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Well I do like my QBs to throw TDs. I don't want an Alex Smith clone.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Classic :lolol:

Whether you agree with PFF scoring or not, there is some great exaggerating going on around here about how poorly Dobbs is playing.

Keep in mind he's doing it against #1's

I think all our QB's are looking good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Dobbs didn't throw a TD, it was thrown by Hodges. The other TD was a run by Samuels, in fact the only pick of the game was thrown by Dobbs.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    i don't think anyone is arguing that he isn't a good backup qb. He can run, he can throw the longball, he can find ways to move the chains... he just cant throw a simple slant or to his right.. horrific accuracy for the basics that a QB should be able to do.

once defense run spies on him and or he gets hurt from running he pretty much will be useless. Yes he is better than lamar jackson.

Mason is not second coming of Ben but I have faith he will be a great backup and maybe stop gap. Anything more is gravy.

Hodges is a wildcard but he just has the IT factor. poise, confidence, throws dimes like Rudolph and should be the 3rd.

all my imo though and doesnt mean squat

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

It doesnt. Not with how and where he puts the ball on throws in a timely fashion. These are still the top 2880 players in the country at football. Even being invited to a tryout of an NFL team means you are pretty darn good. It's not like they are all just kids from the neighborhood. Sorry you don't agree mrs.dobbs. :smiley1::cool:

23. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Bottom line is there maybe, just maybe, huge upside potential for both Hodges and Rudolph. I don`t see that with Dobbs. He is an improvisor who can`t do the little things. Tomlin better decide to let Dobbs go. Dobbs is not NFL material sorry to say.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I cannot believe we are having this conversation, guess sooner or later you come across everything, talent doesn't matter, who knew! :lolol:

WR's being able to gain separation for those passes to be completed, doesn't matter! DB's recognizing routes they can jump, doesn't matter! d-line being able to get to the QB, doesn't matter!

These guys he is playing against suck, come on Mac.

But hey, opinions vary so no sweat Mrs Hodges :hehehe:

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    my kids better then your kid.:cool: