1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Backup qb's

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Aug 5, 2019.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    I dunno have to wait for a few preseason games but if Hodges shows out in the preseason either Dobbs or Rudolph have to go. Coaches have a lot of positive things to say about Hodges .
    So far. Steelers had a first round grade on mason but this day and age these QBs are coming out and showing something year one and mason doesn’t look like he’s that guy based on preseason last year and training camp this year so far. And Dobbs seems decent but maybe he’s at his ceiling already. Mason was in a QB friendly no defense playing big 12 conference so maybe it masked his true game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    hodges has more potential than both dobbs and mason RIGHT NOW unfortunately, not really a good thing lol.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If Hodges plays well in what I'm sure will be limited snaps, has the team ever kept 4? Dobbs and Rudolph on the 53 and Hodges on the PS.

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

While I fully expect Hodges to get cut, should it turn out that he makes a big impression and they decide he must be kept, there's no way I keep 4 QBs. Especially if 3 are development projects. Teams barely have time to develop one young QB these days , let alone 2, and forget 3.

If you had Ben, and aging veteran backup and wanted to keep two young QBs prospects to hedge your bets for the future, I could see it. But 3 QB projects is a waste of time. It's very very doubtful that all 3 are NFL starter material. So decide which one or two are your best options and let the 3rd guy go somewhere else to take his shot. Use the roster or PS spot on another position of need.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Dobb's plays better under the lights .. I expect him to have a good game tonight .. Dobb's needs the Offense to be more mobile style QB oriented .. I expect we will see more of that tonight ... With all the locker room crap that has went on with AB and Bell I expect Tomlin to be in a silence the haters mode ..Esp against BA as he will want to stick it to the Steelers as well..

As stated I expect a Dobb's friendly style of Attack....

7. cboath

cboath Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    It very hard to evaluate them playing with only 2's and 3's, if that. But Dobbs had a good throw on the 3rd and 21. The opening shot to Washington was good but should have been deeper and two good runs. MR looked sharper, much improved release and the every pass was right where it was supposed to be. But, game 1 with and against scrubs makes it hard to be a fair analysis...

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Should be interesting, when I was at camp last week Mason looked better
    to me. Threw a nicer ball. But I am not at camp everyday seeing what the coaching staff sees.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Mason has a swagger about him that I like. He is playing with confidence right now, which was not the case last year. I liked what I saw last night. Dobbs not so much. Dobbs seems to have a nice deep ball, and struggles mightily with the intermediate stuff. He uses his legs to try and make up for that. I think he is in a battle for a spot on this team at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That kid had some it.

Mason looked good.

Dobbs needed his legs.

:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    College Football Passing Yards Career Leaders
    upload_2019-8-10_8-54-19.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yep

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    FCS

14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

That list seems to say that having high career yardage in college is not a good predictor for NFL success

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Right, Hodges is the FCS all time leading passer. Those are football programs like the Ivy League schools, Georgetown, Grambling etc.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He also had some good games against d1 schools. :cool:

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Dobbs flashed his running ability but looked uncomfortable in the pocket and making his reads. MR and Hodges both look more comfortable and went through their progressions but since that is their game that's to be expected. Hodges had some ugly spirals but they were catch-able balls.

19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You have to look at it like this if Ben goes down for a game or two who do you think can squeak out a win? Dobbs gives them the best chance. Yeah, Hodges looked alright against 3rd and 4th stringers. Only way they trade Dobbs is if Rudolph shows he can be the clear back-up. Then you trade Dobbs for a pick and because his contract will be up after 2020 and you work with Hodges as 3rd string.

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    The problem being that they can win with Dobbs but not using Ben's playbook. They found that out against the Raiders last season. Trying to force Dobbs into a pocket passer just doesn't work. They need to craft the script around his abilities ala Lamar Jackson last season. Unfortunately Tomlin doesn't like to reinvent the wheel if 7 isn't available

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I still think Dobbs is a better pocket passer than L Jackson. Jackson gives up on plays so quick. Another year under his belt, maybe Dobbs can do it. It's just one game.

22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh definitely way better than Jackson as a passer but they need to gameplan to use his legs, his arm and his ability instead of saying just go out there and run the offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Invest time into Mason and Hodges and let real QB talent come to the top.
    Time for Dobbs to get on with his life's work and that's cool too.

24. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Dobbs has to use his legs, just like his college years, decent runner but not very good in the passing game. Jackson also not very good in the passing game, but everyone fears his running ability which is very good and better then Dobbs. If you had to pick one it would be Jackson.

25. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm not sure what you are watching. Dobbs has proven to be a superior pocket passer to Jackson. Jackson has better wheels but Dobbs can run if he has to. I'd take Dobbs over Jackson any day.