1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Back to the Future : Should Old Time Steelers Football Return? For Real.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Hog, Jan 5, 2020.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You can run to set up the pass or you can pass to set up the run. I would say the Steelers success running the hall recently was due to the threat of Ben and our WRs. You have to have the ability to make the D pick their poison. That brings me to the topic of picking a RB early in the draft. If you’re going to pick a RB in the 2nd round you are making a commitment to becoming more balanced and basically committed to that RB playing almost all the significant snaps. Sure Conner’s health is a concern but he’s in the plans for now until a injury derails him again. I just don’t think you draft a RB that early because of injury concerns. If that’s the case then DL should be a priority even more so (Tuitt) and possibly losing Hargrave....
    IMO I wouldn’t pick a RB any earlier than our 3rd round comp and even that is too early I feel. Our 4th preferably the later 4th is where I would target one. It’s a deep RB class.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think it comes down to pride... Can Ben do like John Elway did at the end of his career, and give up some of the burden? If he can I think he will have success.

We are not going to win a SB with Ben going into shot gun 90% of the game. Not at this stage of his career.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    like others said you need to be balanced to win it all for the most part.

5 of the top 10 defenses are in the playoffs right now. Out of those 5, 4 have a top 10 offense.

baltimore and sf are essentially stacked in statistics lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Interesting stat they put up on TV yesterday.... the top running teams int the NFC all made the playoffs, despite what other stats other teams had that were better.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    My top 2 free agent targets.....RB Derrick Henry....QB Taysom Hill.......my next wave ..RB .Kareem Hunt, TE Ricky Seal Jones, TE Eric Ebron

HACK

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't believe that the Vikings offensive line is better than the Steelers and they got after the saints yesterday. They lined up and mauled the guy in front of them. Steelers olive often was worried about second level blocks and dbl teams before the ball is even snapped. They lost the battle in the trenches.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    How are they going to afford them?

8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Henry...Most likely won't get out of TENN....He has put the time in, and they are finally starting to turn it around.

Taysom Hill...is a swiss army knife...but he is still a 3rd string QB....he is finishing a 3 years 1.66 mill contract...affordable if you want him

Ricky Seal Jones and Eric Ebron...neither should require top flight money

Kareem Hunt...sits behind Chubb....maybe some team feels he has been redeemed enough to throw top flight money at him....But I don't think so.

and the Steelers will have more money than anyone thinks....its NFL book keeping. Foster frees up 4 mil alone. The Steelers are not paying 1 skill position outside of Ben and Vance on anything but their rookie deal.....Meanwhile they were willing to pay Brown and Bell about 30 mill....along with Bens 35 mill.....I know they will be tight up against the cap...but they always are....They will Cut Foster, Cut Barron, Artie Burns is gone, Sean Davis is most likely gone...although I would let him and Edmunds fight it out....They extend Heyward...they convert Tuitt and DeCastro base into bonus that the player gets now, but that the Steelers get to spread out over a few years...they will free up some wiggle room.

Ben
    AV
    Pouncey
    DeCastro
    Heyward
    Tuitt
    Hayden
    Collins

Thats your highest paid Steelers.

9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I wish I knew exactly what the repercussions of his injury will linger. Will it be less strength in his arm throwing, soreness, something? I find it hard to believe there won't be something that is different when he comes back. I've had lots of operations on shoulders and knees and I still feel them years after getting them. Therefore, maybe Ben needs to take on more of a game manager role with heavier reliance on the run. He wold still pose a threat in the passing game but less wear and tear on him slinging the ball 35+ times a game with getting hit. Just makes sense at this point in Ben career, the personal we have right now, and the draft capital we have in this years draft. This leads me back to protecting Ben and running the ball which requires prioritizing OL rebuild.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    After they sign Dupree, they won't be spending much in free agency. The Titans would be fools to let Henry leave.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    When you have no passing game, the LBs and safeties can stack the box more often, which means that your second level block target needs to be engaged quicker. I didn’t like our O line play overall, but they were hamstrung by a lackluster passing attack that nobody feared.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Henry isn't leaving the Titans, the offense runs through him, he'd be crazy to leave. No team is going to blow their wad for a RB that doesn't offer anything in the passing attack, so he's not going to be lured away by money.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I love Tyson hill hack. That would be a guy I could get on board with. I still think Snell could be our guy if we fix the line, vet a healthy fb and a TE. I'd like a little bug on the rug fast as lightning, tough as nails wr. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Reagor TCU but most likely gone by our first pick.