1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ayers signed to the Patriots Practice Squad

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dd63, Sep 4, 2017.

1. sleehrat

sleehrat Active Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Fixed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I disagree the Patriots have
    Amendola
    Hogan
    Cooks
    Dorsett
    Mitchell
    Ayers won't play over those guys, maybe he could be a punt returner.

3. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Hunter can be that tall deep threat like Bryant, Ayers wasn't going to play for the Steelers with Eli and JuJu ahead of him.

4. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    NE has traditionally given opportunities to elsewhere-overlooked-WRs and made them shine, either by system or by their QB (I think both).

I wouldn't be surprised if Ayers is on their roster by W5-6, and if by the end of the year he is one of Brady's top 4 targets.

Not the case in our system and with our QB. Different styles and approaches.

5. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Honestly I don't blame him for being bitter. Last year in the championship game, he couldn't even get a helmet, instead they gave it to a worthless player name Sammie Coates who can't catch balls. Why would the Steelers knowing Sammy had broken fingers throw him balls they know he can't catch?? Those 2 critical 3rd down balls Sammie dropped in the championship game still hurt. We could've competed better with Ayers. There's a good chance down the line Ayers will become Edelman's replacement...

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    And Hunter probably won't play with Bryant, JuJu and probably DHB ahead of him. Ayers has special teams value. He had success in college as both a kick and punt returner, and had some success returning punts here in the preseason. Neither guy is likely to impact on offense without injuries, but Ayers can provide value without getting snaps on offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok, Ayers may have a better shot at seeing the field then we first thought. Cyrus Jones, which I was pimpin for us to draft, tore his Acl. He turned out not to be that great of a return guy as in college, but there is an open opportunity for Ayers there

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm not sure about the last statement, buy yep er to all else.

9. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    My guess is that Hunter plays ahead of DHB.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think it will be situational. DHB is a very good blocker, and he will see time instead of Hunter when his ability to block is more important than any small advantage that Hunter may have catching the ball. My point was not that DHB is better than Hunter in all phases of position play, it's that he can do more of a variety of things at the WR position, and I don't think Hunter offers enough in comparison to be worth an extra roster spot. Just my view.

11. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

Valid point about blocking and special teams. However, in the event of injury to either Brown or Bryant, Hunter is a much better option as a replacement than DHB or Ayers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

He may become Edelmans replacement but wont be able to take the hits like Edelman can. he is one tough SOB

No way Ayers takes a hit like this

13. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    I liked Ayres and was fearful he would have been cut and knew very well, Cheats would have snagged him. I'm no coach or recruiter of players obviously but, I'd rather had Ayer's on the team over Hunter. I don't see the upswing of this.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They weren't going to keep DHB and Ayers when both of them their value is more on ST.

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Billicheat wanted Ayers so they can dissect the Steelers route trees.

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Pats place another wr on ir today and yet Ayers did not get promoted to the roster. Draws conclusions here.

17. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Must pass the Brady Test.

18. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

Based on past results, I think they know our route trees pretty well already. Down to the last leaf in fact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelersFanFromTX

SteelersFanFromTX

Jan 1, 2012
    Mitchell on IR, Amendola with a concussion last night - Ayers might be pressed into action next week.

20. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Ayers made the right choice for his career. He could fit into that system very well.

Look what has happened to the Pats WR core:

Edelman...out
    Amendola...concussion
    Cooks....first game with NE
    Dorsett....first game with NE
    Mitchell....out
    Hogan...he is Edelman light, but with no other real options on the same page with Tom, he was neutered
    Slater...marginal talent

KC was able to take them out by solid CB play and constantly attacking on offense

NE has always been able to get through these injury situations, but at some point they may not be able to. Doing it with new guys as your top WRs is much more difficult.