1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ayers signed to the Patriots Practice Squad

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dd63, Sep 4, 2017.

1. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It makes sense for him - more chance of promotion to the first team in the clear favourites for the Superbowl.

I think the chances would have opened up here as well as the season wore on, but obviously he wasn't happy about something. Perhaps he felt he should have had more playing time than Cobi?

I'd say "good luck" to him, but only if it was any other team than the Pats :smiley1:

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Reporter: "coach what are your feelings about Ayers to NE..
    Coach: "we don't live in our fears,we will continue to defend every blade of grass,no matter the opposition "
    Reporter: "does it seem they go out of their way to poach your players to perhaps gain some intel "
    Coach: "well,right now they are operating at a varsity level , while we are trying to move up fron JV...
    Reporter: "at this point in your career ,does anything Bellicheat does surprise you
    Coach: well they do things their way....around here the standard is the standard, ,next man up. So no ,I'm not surprised ...........after all .....they are a bunch of A-holes......obviously "

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    So he refused to go on Steelers PS, but goes on another? Either he thought he could make an active roster elsewhere, or a petty response on his part.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just as I suspected, this was a large GAFFE by Steelers. Upside way better than Hunter, DHB.

Manny Sanders ring a bell?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I knew it! Damn.

Perfect landing spot for him. Lets see if he can make it to the 53.

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Not every team is as deep at wr

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Patriots don't have a deep receiving corps, especially with Edelman out. Ayers will get a change at some point.

AB is still relatively young.
    Martavis only going into year 4.
    Eli only in year 3.
    Juju a rookie.
    DHB makes the team on ST.
    Hunter beat out Coates and Ayers.

It's really that simple.

It sucks to lose Coates and even Ayers but that's just how it worked out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This makes sense. Ayers seems to have a much better shot at seeing PT in NE than here.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hunter beat out Coates and Hamilton, I don't think Ayers was even practicing until a couple of days before the final game. I know he spent most of the time at Latrobe on the injury list. Hard for him to win a starter job when he isn't doing anything.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My friends he could have helped us in other areas, Punt returner anyone. Special teams
    anyone. Big mistake.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I totally agree and called it in another thread but he was an injury away or ineffective play by Hunter from being called up.

Think we made a mistake not finding him a spot on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Some of you act like we lost the next Lynn Stallworth, lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. SteelersFanFromTX

SteelersFanFromTX

Jan 1, 2012
    I hate to see him go to the Pats. Seems to me he has a higher ceiling than Hunter (and Rogers for that matter).

16. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Is that like Antonio Bryant?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Never said he was but I feel we kept inferior talent over him.

PS. If hes slashing this defense to ribbons when we play them, we'll see how you feel about this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol: I didnt catch that!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If IFS and BUTS were candy and nuts...;)

20. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Pretty sure it was on purpose.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Other than the fact Ayers was a 6th round pick and Rogers undrafted, I'm not sure what many of you are seeing when you think Ayers could have outperformed Eli.

They both had their chance last year. They were both in their 1st year. Eli took the ball and ran with it while Ayers was just a reserve role.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelersFanFromTX

SteelersFanFromTX

Jan 1, 2012
    I hear you. It just seems to me that while Eli was able to produce, he's more of a plodder than Ayers, who seems to be more elusive/dynamic.

It's all about opportunity, and to your point Eli ran with his. Not sure Ayers was afforded the same opportunity to showcase his skills.

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    For me, its not Eli vs Ayers. Ayers had a very small body of work to look at (as fans) but he looked good when called upon. I really like Rogers and am a fan of his "hard hat' approach. For me it is more the loss of some potential (slot and PR) especially if Rogers goes down. Maybe the team didn't see enough in practices etc last year and hence the Juju pick. Plus the fact that a small shifty receiver leaves our team and goes to the cheatriots makes it harder to swallow.
    We will know in time what he is as a player if he sees playing time in NE.

24. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If Bill cuts him it will be the final word really. The reason for this is because Bill is an infallible human being and absolutely perfect football mind whose decisions carry the weight of a thousand worlds. Whereas Tomlin is a complete buffoon who spends all of his time trying to figure out how to tie velcro shoes. Mendy, Moye, Legursky, Redman, Keenan Lewis, Nate Washington and others are all proof positive of this fact. They went on to have prolific careers after Tomlin stupidly let them go. Although Washington WAS signed AND cut by the Pats. So maybe Tomlin isn't toooooootally useless but he's just mostly useless.

• Like Like x 1
  25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I know you are being sarcastic, but Billys opinion on WRs may not be all that. They can't seem to evaluate that position and try to steal ours, going back to Manny Sanders.

Ayers didn't get much playing time here, but if he plays extensively in NE, we will see if he was a good or bad player. Same would be said if he went to another team.