1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

At the end of the day

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JPP, Nov 22, 2021.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The biggest personnel loss this team has had in the last 5 years was Mike Munchak. And I knew it when it happened.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Passing judgement on Kendrick Green this early is quite unfair to say the least. Yes, Kendrick Green's growing pains are more severe than any other Steelers Rookie for certain. That said, he has to learn from them and see to it he is getting better as a result. The whole aspect of strength and athleticism is not the issue with him contrary to popular belief. The technical aspects are; the finite points doubly so and no less. Green is definitely getting whooped out there but its not for a lack of athletic ability.

Regarding the Defensive Line?! Given the fact that the team elected to make an attempt for Stephon Tuitt should be a tall tale sign that Tuitt was not likely going to return for the season. Not only just Tuitt though as Isaiah Buggs was a healthy scratch for the Bengals game. Beyond Heyward.... not much else there and all the more reason that Jordan Davis from the University of Georgia needs even more consideration for the First Pick come next season; QB on the board or not.

Carrying on from my final statement about having someone like Jordan Davis, the Interior of the Offensive Line is also in need of an upgrade. For that matter, who is to say that Trai Turner returns next season? He is only signed for one season and there is no guarantee he is going to return. That is not including if Kevin Dotson can rebound either. Kenyon Green from Texas A&M or Darian Kinnard from Kentucky would be stellar fits. I also would possibly include Tyler Linderbaum but history is not on his side in regards to the Steelers selecting players from the University of Iowa; something that has never happened in the Colbert Era.

Finally, regarding Najee, it is a miracle that Najee is even still standing at this point in the season. I was honestly concerned that he would be injured by now. Thankfully that is not the case but within the same token, he is getting quite a bit of touches on him. Be that as it may, Najee is the least of the Offense's worries. In all actuality, Najee Harris is the future of the Steelers not only in terms of significance but also importance. He will be needed as the team will search for the guy and more so needed after the fact.

To summarize my rebuttal, it is going to take more than one Offseason to correct everything. Sad that this is the reality of the current situation of the team but there is no other way around it. Yes, the team will have Cap Space to play with for the first time in a long time but I seriously doubt the team is going to just merely resign some players. I would imagine that the team will look to Free Agency to shore up some of the issues that are present and use the draft to continue that approach. Whether or not that will work is anyone's guess however. What can be known is that this team is going to be a while before it can contend for anything; having the guy or otherwise.

Such are the consequences of having that guy under center for an extended period of time. For that matter, this happened to the Steelers before; 1980-1983. The end of the Steel Curtain Dynasty. It took the team 21 years to find the next one. Here is hoping it does not take that long to find him again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    YESSSSS.!!! Creed Humphrey should have been a No-Brainer pick for the Steelers.

He was right there for the taking in the second round when the Steelers were on the clock. The BEST Center in the draft available when we were up. This should have been a no brainer to take a guy that was ranked number one at his position and had spent his entire college career playing center.

No imaginary trading forward or backwards BS, he was there in plain sight and everyone knew the Steelers would going to draft a center that would be able to start from Day 1 and be there franchise center of the future.

Now look at him voted Best Center currently in the league by PFF and is only a rookie!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I love Pat Freiermuth but can’t disagree with this

Humphrey in the second round and Spencer Brown in the third would have been nice.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ll take Muth. They haven’t had a TE since Heath and it’s too early to write off Green. If they had Humphries they still weren’t going to the SB this year.

Worst case scenario, they decide in the offseason to move Green to his natural position which he is very good at and draft a center.

People also keep ignoring that Humphries doesn’t fit the outside zone they run which requires a more athletic center, right or wrong, that was why they chose Green. Would Humphries be doing as well as he is if he was here in this scheme? He’s a road grader. Maybe he could do both but we don’t know that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    That’s fair and I have made the same point about Green here in the past. He may turn out to be great in the long run, I am certainly not writing him off at this stage.

The confusing thing is that they bring Ben back, do all these void year deals with Juju, Ebron etc but then take project players like Green and Moore at their biggest area of need.

Pat Freiermuth looks to have all the tools to be a very good TE in the NFL for a long time and was well worth where he was picked. They had so many needs, it’s easy to redo the draft and say they could or should have done one thing or another.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Muth is their best pick by far, IMO, TEs usually struggle in year one.

Humphrey in the first, Muth second if you really wanted a center. Oweh or JOK in the first if you want a D stud.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    this is true it’s easy to reassess a draft when the team is full of holes. You can’t draft 10 players with 3/4 picks

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    People around here still crying about not picking Marino. JMO>

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Najee is a good player but more than likely will be a good player on a very bad team for his entire career. Unless he gets traded to a good team before we run his wheels off.

11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Given how Humphrey has played it would be difficult to criticise taking him in the first, if you could trade back and pick him a bit later while gaining another selection, better again.

I’d add Asante Samuel and Greg Newsome to that list of D players. Both were on the board at 24 and both look like very promising defensive backs

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was the A. Samuel's guy...I think People were tired of me talking about getting DBs. LoL. I believe, and always will that all Defense should always come 1st...then O line ....but that doesn't mean I don't like who we've picked. I really Like N. Harris, and Pat F.

• Like Like x 1