1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

At 1-4 is the season and playoffs over??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Oct 7, 2019.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Probably, but it's nice to know that we have a good #2 QB if he's needed. We really haven't had that since the Batch/Leftwich days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Tough dichotomy, a couple wins combined with a Ravens loss and we are right back in it.......... but..........Tomlin never wins on the west coast and never beats the Chargers.

This is the only way we can look at the Steelers right now.

3. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    This week really really sucked. The Steelers SHOULD have won on Sunday and the Browns lost; Pittsburgh should somehow be the top team in the division. I know we weren't perfect, but the refs freaking screwed up hardcore.

That said, this team isn't good, but they're not bad. The offense is very meh but not flat-out terrible while the defense is actually playing at a semi-elite level. It's a weird year.

I'll say this - the Steelers will be a damn good football team next year if the defense we see if anything we get then.

4. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    That's what I've been thinking... the talent is there for a 12-4 elite team in 2020, Steelers have just had some really bad breaks and bad luck... turnovers at the worst times, bad calls by the refs, too much wildcat, etc.

5. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Fully agreed. Honestly, and without bias, the Steelers probably SHOULD be 4-1 right now with wins against the Seahawks, @ San Fran and against the Ravens. 3-2 at worst... yet here we are. I don't think we're having this conversation with a healthy Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh is home. My family moved around a bit when i was a kid, but I was in Pittsburgh most of my life until we moved to New York 15 years ago.

I was born in the '70s, but I was very young for the four Super Bowls. I really started to follow the game closely in the '80s.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015

Same here... born in '72, about a month before the Immaculate Reception.

84 and 89 were not terrible by any stretch. Steelers played well overall during those seasons.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The loss of Roethlisberger is a huge part of the problem, but it's tough to say they should have won both the games against Seattle and San Francisco. I'm guessing they would be 3-2 right now with him.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I was born a few months before you in '72. That 1984 season was the year I really locked in a fan. It was the height of my football junkie phase. I was actually living in the suburbs of New Orleans when that season started and we moved back to Pittsburgh a few days after watching the Steelers lose to the Saints on a Monday night in the Superdome. I still vividly remember watching Louis Lipps return a punt for a touchdown and John Stallworth catching one and both of those guys somehow producing despite having a rotation of garbage at quarterback.

I loved that '89 team, too. I was in the stadium for the 51-0 loss to the Browns in the opener. I remember when they were 2-3 with three losses in the division, but somehow managed to get to the playoffs and give the Broncos all they could handle in the Divisional Round. Maybe it's just the jersey number, but Duck Hodges definitely makes me think of Bubby Brister.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    You trying to compare this team to the 76 team? You people need to realize this season is over and we will not beat the chargers sunday, yet there are fans who will still continue to believe this crappy team will make the playoffs, playing this same small ball game the rest of the way and beat everyone on our schedule, I stand in amazement.......

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I think the Ravens go 1-2 in their next 3 games with the Bengals Seahawks and Patriots which puts them at 4-4. I think the Browns go no better then 1-2 in their next 3 games with Seattle,New England and Denver which would put them at 3-5. So again assuming the Steelers beat Miami if they can find a way to win either the game this week at LA against the Chargers or the home game on November 3rd against the Colts they will be 3-5 and tied with the Browns and 1 game behind the Ravens.

I think the Steelers will play both the Chargers and Colts close and have a chance to win the game in the 4th quarter much like they have played the Seahawks Niners and Ravens tough and lost. You gotta believe at some point the roles are gonna reverse in a close game and the Steelers are gonna find a way to win one here which hopefully will happen against the either the Chargers or Colts or maybe both teams for that matter.

I just think at some point they are gonna win a close game and aren’t gonna continue to lose everyone they play. 7 of the last 8 games the Steelers have lost going back to last season have been lost in the final minutes. I just think at some point the law of averages says that’s gonna change and they are gonna find a way to win at least 1 or 2 of these close games they continue to play each week.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Or maybe this is a flawed team with a weak coaching staff that will continue to find ways to lose close games. The improved locker room was supposed to help with that, but it isn't happening. They aren't going to suddenly get better in close games with guys like Brown and Roethlisberger gone.

13. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    I agree the coaching staff of Tomlin, Fichtner and Butler is holding this team back and a big reason they are 1-4 right now. They aren’t doing a good enough job preparing this team week in and week out as we continue to see Fichtner’s play calling be terrible, and the defense under Butler’s watch continue to have miscommunication late in games. I feel that is the main reason they are 1-4 more so then Ben being out. Rudolph and Hodges in the short time they have played have played well enough to win in the 3 in a half to 4 games that Ben has been out that their record should be 3-2 and not 1-4.

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Anybody think the Bungles can beat the Browns & Ravens?
    Yeah they are not playing well but they do have some offensive talent on the team. A.Green should be close to coming back no?

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Green's situation isn't just an injury. He wants a new contract, so it sure seems as if he isn't exactly rushing to get back out there until he gets one. He won't play this week. Even worse for the Bengals, John Ross was injured against the Steelers and he is now on IR. They may still have some weapons, but the offensive line is just awful. They also struggle to stop the run. Imagine what the Ravens will do to them with Jackson and Ingram?

16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    It's been rumours of green being on the trade block.

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I do!

Throw out the Ravens game and the Browns are back to competing for the #1 draft pick.

Jackson and the Ravens are vulnerable, we exposed some serious weaknesses that others showed as well.

18. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    I think the Bengals will give the Ravens a good game. They usually play the Ravens tough no matter what their record is. Dalton has had success against them. I still think the Ravens will probably win but I don’t think they blow the Bengals out either.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The mounting injuries are another reason the Steelers are toast this season. People here are so used to Roethlisberger giving them a chance in just about every game, but he's done at least for the season. Now Rudolph could miss time with a concussion. Samuels is out about a month with a knee injury. Nelson is apparently hurt, too, so the secondary is even more vulnerable.

20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
  21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I heard that Green wanted to finish his career in Cincy a few days ago when the rumors were swirling.

22. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    We're about to roll-out 8 straight ...just getting started

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    In seasons such as this, I tend to always think that we will suddenly turn things around the next game...and then the next game happens haha. I get the fans like you who are more "reality-based" so to speak, but some of us just want to hope for the best and believe in the damn near impossible, root til the end. It doesn't make us fans any less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    7 more to go?

25. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Eternal optimist here, saying a big run and 11-5 isn't out of the question