1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Assuming the Steelers are targeting

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by strummerfan, Feb 17, 2024.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Thing is, Herbig has accrued snaps as a Center in the NFL; a seasoned vet no less. Kendrick Green had little to none as a Rookie and never mind coming out of Illinois.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    46 snaps does not make you a seasoned vet imo

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Relative to his experience in the NFL mind you.

In addition, I wouldn't dismiss the idea of him obtaining reps during the 2023 Season in practice either.

4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Agreed. 0 that is ZERO snaps last year to all the Pittsburgh Backup Centers last year. That is how much confidence the Steelers had in giving Mason Cole, who was arguably the worst O-Lineman on the team last year, a play or series off. Currently there is nobody on this team that should be even close to being looked at as the Starting Center in 2024.

I am hoping they bring in a Vet Center and draft an early Center in this years draft. I think with a kid like JPJ who has only 1 year at center in college, you should have a veteran center to show him some of the tricks about playing center in the NFL.

You always have to wonder what would have happened if they moved Daniels to Center and had Dotson play RG last year?

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I hope to have time to watch some film of O linemen before the draft. Mims looks like he was grown in a lab specifically to play RT in the NFL. What a physical prototype.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    short arms though. :cool:

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    but he has had some leg issues. couldn't crack the starting lineup there either for awhile. just some observations. i'm really wondering if we don't just make the move of daniels to center, herbig to guard, anderson to right tackle and possibly draft a guard to eventually take over for seumalo down the road. keep cook around as well. we could spend draft capital on ILB, CB, DL, WR and a guard. i know everyone wants a shiny new toy but maybe we have them here right under our nose. we still have moore and cook as backup tackles. maybe zinter in the 4th.

:cool:

8. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Centers typically have short arms. At Center Barton’s arms won’t be considered short at 33”. The thing about Barton is he’s sorta this draft’s Mauck.

If drafting a Center I would prefer JPJ or Frazier.
    If drafting an OG I would prefer Beebe or Mohagany.
    I don’t see him as an NFL OT prospect. I think he moves inside.

Great OL prospect. I just don’t see him drafted in the 1st round.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

a lot of the time that's why they are moved inside to center.

beebe has short arms as well.32.5

bartons 32 7/8

mohagany 33.5

zinter 33.5

javon foster the OT from mizzou may be a consideration for the tackle spot. his arms are just shy of 35 inches.

i was reading that weidl and omar have an arm length cutoff that they like. 33.5 or 33.75 i believe it was. i can't find where i was reading that though. :cool:

10. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Here’s my take on arm length. It is primarily important for defense. OTs need to not have short arms but overall length is less important than for the DE.

OL move first, hit first, and should know where the play is going. That split second makes up the difference. An IOL with 32.5 vs 32 7/8 won’t make any difference. Arm length is not a make or break factor to me.

Pouncey has 32.5 arms.

11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    upload_2024-3-5_15-30-8.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    pouncey got pushed back a lot in pass blocking. it does make a difference. the d-linemen can control a shorter armed o-lineman if the o-lineman can't get his hands inside to guide the defender. that's where the arm length comes into play. pouncey's best strength was his mobility and his ability to get to the second level in the run game. no it's not a make or break but it matters. :cool:

13. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    They SHOULD measure from underarm to wrist. Instead they measure base of shoulder to tip of middle finger.

14. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    All depends on who is there when they pick and who fits there system the best. You left out CB as well. I think those are our top three needs. I think you have to fill one of them in FA this year. I think Center is alot easier to fill and cheaper to fill in FA vs. CB or OT.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    but they are all measured the same.:cool:

16. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Yes.

17. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    After the combine, the only first round center, if there is a such thing, is Tanor Bartolini.

18. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Tanner helped himself, no doubt about that, with all the speed drills. Van Pran, Frazier, and Powers-Johnson chose not to do the speed/jump drills, Frazier because he's coming off a broken leg, Van Pran because ?, and Powers-Johnson because he just doesn't have to. JPJ took part in the position drills, and ruled. Van Pran probably dropped below Bortalini on a lot of boards.
    Bortalini has small hands, short arms, and isn't particularly strong. We can get him easily in the third, if we miss on JPJ and Frazier. But for the offense Art Smith will want to run, Beaux Limmer would probably be a better choice in the 4th.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Correct. That said, this requirement is specifically for Offensive Tackles... not so much IOL.

Regardless, the medicals via the team for Amarius will have to check out. Should they?! Book him in play for Round 1; doubly so for a trade up.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not only he has the physical dimensions to do so, his potential is very much the same as Broderick Jones' was a season ago; limitless. That said, my sig sums up Mims perfectly; a supercharged Broderick Jones.

Despite his injuries and very limited experience, his sheer talent and potential (both are boundless) are very much worth banking on. Besides, when asked about his preferred position, he answered that it didn't matter to him. Great answer IMO as Defensive Coordinators now just place their EDGEs in winnable spots anyways.

21. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Well, we passed on Dawand Jones last year. And now we want Mims, weird.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    could you imagine jones, mims, washington? these sound like weidl types of players. :cool:

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Because you don't move that many players around if you don't have to, just go sign a veteran center and draft one.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

so if jones moves to the left side and we bring in a new center, what is the difference, you are still moving a lot around. :cool:

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's different than moving Daniels to center, and starting Herbig at guard, when was the last time Daniels even played center in the NFL?