1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Assante Samuel???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blountforcetrauma, Feb 19, 2012.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I read an article on NFL.COM that said Assante Samuel is asking his twitter followers to tell him where they would like to see him wind up. I personally would take him over Willy Gay any day. I know we can't afford him with the cap situation like it is but I just thought it would be cool to see other peoples opinions of him. He is a 3 time pro-bowler and does have Super Bowl experience. Also I would think that if you can play for Belicheck you could pick up on Lebeau's stuff pretty quickly. Just a thought. What's everyone else's?

2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Not even a year ago was this the big topic. When DRC was traded to Philly...everyone was screaming for Asante (not sure if your spelling of Assante was on purpose or not, but its funny). You pretty much answered your own question with the whole not being able to afford him. Philly would probably want a decent pick(s)/players for him and his cap hit is 8-10 mil...2 reasons right there. Now if Philly flat out cut him and you wouldnt have to trade anything or pay him that much...it might be a little easier. But still he isnt the same player he used to be...but if he was a FA he'd be worth a look...but to trade for, no thanks.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :hmmm: Not quite sure what to make of this. LeBeau's defense is famous for being pretty complicated and taking awhile for young/new players to get. Are you saying Belichick's is more complex? Better? Or that LeBeau's is simple? The Patriots have had a number of new starters on defense in recent years. Massive turnover, especially compared to us. Maybe Bill is such a great coach that he can not only have a more complex defense, but also get a ton of new guys to play it? Then again, they weren't very good... Maybe I'm reading too much into this, eh?

As for Samuel, I would definitely take a look at him. Samuel, Lewis, Brown and Allen all competing for the #2, #3, #4, and #5 slots. That would be an improved secondary from a year ago. But only if he would play for cheap, which I doubt. Someone out there will give him both a starting job and the money. We would only give him a chance at one of those and a firm No on the other.

4. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Gay had a good year. I think Lake may have made something out of him. He is younger also. Lewis, Brown, Allen; let's look at the o line, middle linebacker, and d line.

5. SteelerSteve

SteelerSteve Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    William Gay is not a bad player and I hipe we keep him around. I would especially like him as a third corner or one other possibility: I really thing that with his tackling skills and toughness, he could be an excellent safety. I would switch him there, cut Will Allen, and re-sign Ryan Mundy for insurance while Gay is learning his position switch. This would pave the way for Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen to get more involved at the corner position this season. What do you guys think about Willie Gay at safety?

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I always thought he'd be better there than at CB, but it's hard to imagine the Steelers doing that. I always thought McFadden would have been a good safety too. He's a lot like Ryan Clark.

7. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    yeah, going from a CB to a FS seems like such a natural transition for some types. Not sure why that doesn't happen more often.

Remember when Lake moved to CB after Woodson went down in 95? And was named to the friggin pro bowl? He was awesome...

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

You would think so, but I remember an offensive player (and I can't remember who) taking on ESPN radio one day and saying that once Lebeau's defense is figured out it's really not that complicated. Kind of surprised me a little. Some teams like the Pats, Ravens and others seem to have it figured - short, quick passes, mis-matches, etc.

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I'm not saying that Lebeau is not complicated. I would just figure that it's meant to confuse qb's and not the guys that are gonna actually be executing it. I just figure that in order to play for Belicheck you have to be a consumate pro and I feel Lebeau would demand the same. Trust me I would never say anything to disrespect Lebeau. As a matter of fact, I like him better than I like Mike Tomlin. No matter what we say our defense needs help on the corner and secondary in general.

10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I would take Assante Samuel couldn't we just cut some of our people to afford him?

11. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Yeah lets just cut a majority of the team so we can afford one guy who they would probably want a 1st or 2nd round pick for (or more) in a trade. Lets put a majority of the teams future up on the air for one guy! Yup!

12. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I like Samuel but even if we could afford him the Steelers wouldn't touch him. Our coaching staff likes CB's that can help in run support. Samuel is a "finesse" guy.

13. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    why would we sign samuel, when we are trying to get younger on defense??????????

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The story of Free Agency every year, I guess...

My dream for this year's training camp is that we get a clear idea of what our CB depth actually is. As in - I want us to move out of this "we have a bunch of possible promising young players who sometimes make plays but sometimes look like rookies" to more like "this guy and this guy have stepped up and are definitely starter material."

15. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

:this!:

16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    How'd that work out for Philly last year? They were the "dream team" after all their free agent acquisitions... no thanks.

17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've got some high hopes for Cotez Allen and Curtis Brown next year. I think Allen showed flashes of greatness and Brown was a terror on special teams. Those two guys are our corners of the future IMHO. Lewis and Gay improved greatly too thanks to the tutelage of Carnell Lake. If we are going to signe a "splash" free agent, let's make it an offensive lineman.

18. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Samuel has a few too many miles on him, also he takes too many chances (guessing) trying for a pick. We already have our DB who takes chances, and he isn't going anywhere.