1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Artie Burns

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 17, 2017.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm kind of disappointed in his play this season, I don't see the progress from last season in the guy who is supposed to be the teams #1 CB. He still gets caught peeking in the backfield trying to jump routes, I would also like to see him play tighter coverage. He will never be confused with the likes Rod Woodson or Ike Taylor when it comes to tackling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    hes still young hopefully he turns it around

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    He had a great rookie year but seems to have run into the sophomore jinx. On a sideline pass yesterday he had a great chance to get a hand on the ball but stuttered step and stopped then went again. It was all the difference between deflecting or intercepting and the pass actually being a first down.

I'm not giving up on him yet.

4. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Saw that too. He stopped on the play when the ball was in the air.

5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Artie Jones
    Jarvis Dupree

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Artie Burns? Artie Burnt is more fitting at times.

He's got a lot of good potential and has made some very good plays at times but Carnell Lake needs to seriously put in a lot more work with this guy. A lot more.

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Is this not a product of the system and what they ask him to do?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    They ask him to defend passes. There's no system or directive in the league that doesn't expect cb's to defend passes.

Edit: Yes, you are expected to support the run at times. But that's when there is a ball carrier, not when the qb is still looking to throw.

He's out of position way too much. He's constantly trailing the receiver, and that's not trail technique...that's I-just-got-burnt-and-must-catch-my-guy technique.

I'm sure that if you ask him, he'd tell you that he's not happy with his play this season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Looks like he will need constantly coached up. Not a good thing. Having a disappointing season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Skill set is there...he can be fixed.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree Hack, you have to want to tackle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Lets not give a any player on this Defense a pass in the tackling department. Burns is young and still a bit raw, but has the skill set to be starting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think sensabaugh, haden when he returns could start for me, davis, hilton, wilcox, sutton, allen are all keepers. artie needs to pick it up, we have better in waiting. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Carnell need to be replaced. He hasn't produced or developed one good db since he's been here

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Rush may be onto something here, we run this zone coverage and how many times have we seen when we give up the big play that there is confusion between the CB and S? I am not putting it all on that cause we have also seen Artie peak into the backfield and get toasted on the stop and go.

TGD's your right we ask him to defend passes so let me ask you a question. When Artie is locked up on a guy are you happy with his coverage? I don't think it is bad at all the problem is the miscommunication between the CB and S and of course his peaking. Fix these 2 things I think we will be happy with what we get from Artie, jmo.

16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    To me Burns has been playing soft. Both against the pass where he constantly gives up too much space in the zone and then can't get there on time on the throw. Mariota was actually picking on him some because of the space. Against the run agree with most here, you have to want to and he sure looks like he dosent want to. You could also say the same for Golden.

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    While in the stands versus the Bengals, I noticed Burns never huddled up. Half the time it appeared he didn’t even look over, as if his assignment didn’t change. He stays back from the LOS based on what his coaches tell him, or he wouldn’t consistently do it.

To me, his job is to keep the play in front of him to prevent the big play. However that permits a lot of catches versus contested plays.

The trouble is when they overload his zone. Plus when the play goes deep in his zone and he expects help. Furthermore as NY says, he is also responsible to help in run support and becomes too aggressive with that at times, getting beat by the receiver.

I’m wondering if when he’s supposed to man up, if he does great with that.

Overall at times the defense is too aggressive, it’s on film, and teams take advantage of it.

18. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    He'll be fine. People were upset with Davis and his play is improving. That was a good draft class.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Hollywoodbags68

Hollywoodbags68 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    I wouldn't go that far but I would definitely call Burns a mild disappointment. He isn't terrible but he is far from a shutdown corner.

I don't totally buy the argument that he is still young either. He has played enough that you expect to see more improvement than we have seen. He looks like pretty much the same player he was last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. dexter402

dexter402 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Really??? Are we watching the same player? I think he has been tremendous this year. It really seems teams have not tried his side very often this year. Guys... cornerbacks are gonna give up passes and touchdowns at times, this is a passing league and the rules favor the offense, but I really feel he has done well. I admit, we haven't played against the most elite of QB's this year, and his tackling leaves something to be desired, but someone else on the board stated in another post, we have sacrificed sure tackling in the secondary for more play makers. Artie hasn't gotten an interception that I can remember, but that can be attributed to teams not trying him. Also, an interception from the Titans game came from him tipping the ball up on a defended pass, i believe it was the Robert Golden interception.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Interesting.

I am not going to throw in the proverbial towel on Artie Burns. Not even close. Bud Dupree though is running out of time.

I will say this though; I was expecting much better from Artie this season. As you are aware and, as I wrote before the season began, Artie will play a major role this season whether or not he wants to. He is still thinking way too much. Such over pondering limits an NFL players capabilities.

He needs to simply let loose and just play. He has the experience and the athleticism. All he needs now is to reassure within himself he can do so.

• Like Like x 1
  22. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I hope he can step it up a bit. He's been better this year IMO, but he was unbelievably bad on Thursday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yea he’s average right now. Youre right about Davis though he’s been solid

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Typically we would not even see a rookie cornerback see much playing time. If he started the second season and played average it would be a success. Burns starts his first season and we expect All Pro his second season? Wednesday Thursday Friday?

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I do not.

I understand he is going to have bad moments within good games for him or bad games with good moments. My concern however currently is latter; especially since, within three weeks, Pittsburgh has allowed plays of 40 yards or more after not registering one the first seven games.

While some of those plays are not all on him, others are. All I am stating is that he simply needs to learn how to think less and play more.