1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Artie Burns Says he has CTE

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Dec 14, 2017.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dont know if he really feels he has that or maybe doesn't comprehend what that means if he does.

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    There is absolutely no way to know whether one has CTE or not. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. What I know for a fact is that he doesn't know whether he has it or not. Blows to the head (whether resulting in concussions or not) can cause a long list of symptoms. So perhaps he has dizziness, headaches, memory less, etc. that he is attributing to CTE, but he has absolutely no scientific facts to back up his statement. He could have numerous other diseases/ailments with similar symptoms or he could just be a hypochondriac.

There has been some documented cases of CTE in young people, but even they didn't have symptoms until much later in life. I'd love to know how Burns knows he has CTE when there's not a single doctor on earth that could tell him whether he has it or not.

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    How did he get CTE if he didn't hit anyone?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Maybe he thinks it stands for Can't Tackle Effectively?

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I think it's more likely he has CCA (can't cover anyone).

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Burns is clueless, CTE is diagnosed after players have died.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bleednblackngold

Oct 25, 2015
    On a serious note, I will go on record as a CTE skeptic.

Does it bother anyone else that, as far as I can tell, all the research comes from only one place? It's also my understanding that this is the sole thing they study in the CTE center of Boston U. "But this makes them all the more experts!", you say. I say, yes they are experts; but they are experts who have devoted their careers to a futile cause if it's ever found out they are wrong.

It also bothers me that they only seem to study ex-athletes' brains. Where is the control group of people who have not had concussions or some other head trauma; presumably "healthy" brains?

But, perhaps the biggest thing that bothers me is the stat that they find it in 99% of the football players they've studied. Science rarely finds anything with such high certainty.
    Maybe a case of, if you look hard enough for any thing you are bound to find at least a little bit of that thing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are incorrect or that they are just making things up. Why would they? It's just that of you try to research this it all goes back to the same source.

Come to think of it, maybe it bothers me because it comes from Boston. I don't much like anything that comes from there!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If I remember correctly, that 99 percent number came from one study and it was clear from the moment it came out that the study was compromised by the way the brains being tested were chosen. They were all donated by the families of former players and all had reason to believe the deceased had some form of brain injury. Either they had suffered concussions or they showed some form of mental deficiency later in life. That led to data that was skewed toward the positive test.

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's late right now and I'm tired, but over the next few days I'm going to spend some time looking into some of the claims you have made in this thread. My guess is either you are wrong in your beliefs and/or there's a very reasonable explanation for the concerns you have brought up. Do you really think the NFL would have paid out all that money if CTE wasn't a real, scientifically proven diagnosis?

11. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    It seems to me that many studies (not just medical, but all sciences) are skewed to produce the results wanted by whoever is paying for the study. Same goes for public opinion polls.

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Here’s a start.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4324991/

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Research always responds to a question, and that question is always asked by someone. But not always for self-interested reasons.

This is why you look for a range of studies to see where the findings are similar. There have been a whole load of studies on CTE - not only in the NFL but in boxing and other sports of comparable contact. The 99% study happened to be the largest sample they’d used for an NFL.

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope he is wrong , but if he feels he has it then that is a problem . Football is not a game that can be played correctly with doubt or fear . His mind set probably has a lot to do with his poor play . Our style of D requires the CB to play down hill a bunch and to make violent contact . I wish him the best , but after the season we should trade him .

Best for him and for the Team maybe he can find a Zone first Team that uses the Safety spot as the force .Or he can convert to a Single High Safety in a scheme he plays the last line of Defense .

If we intend to keep him a move to a Single High Safety might work if Butler will use it ?

15. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He did it to himself from smacking his own helmet for everytime he screws up.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Fine he has CTE. Roll with Sensabaugh and Sutton. Tired of his play as of late anyway.

17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Sometimes he covers guys like he's dead.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Pretty sure he meant... Cant Tackle Either. CTE

• Like Like x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This before the biggest challenge of the season :facepalm:

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Some of you guys are some serious overreacters. He basically saying that its a tough sport and from all the hits over his football career he probably has it. I think he's just making a point that it's a tough sport, what do people expect is going to happen to players.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree, he has a whatever and a so what if approach as he should... That's part of the req's to playing the sport.

Just the same as anyone else who does their jobs takes on a certain amount of down the road or immediate risk.

It's a violent sport, and there is no denying that there is cumulative trauma involved throughout a career. However, the truth is that it's sensationalized right now because it's serving an agenda. Study this, study that... The majority of old school players aren't dropping dead from brain traumas. The majority of them are having a harder time walking stairs than remembering things.

Just like the rest of what's going on around the world... Driving cars is bad, spanking kids is bad, teaching kids to stand up for themselves is bad, the textile biz is bad and DEADLY... It never ends and I could go on and on with limitless examples.

The NFL is in total liability cover their ass mode in a time of sue happy folks which has watered down the sport we love at the behest of some over the top heart felt athlete stories and so on and so forth.

If the amount of steroid related deaths mattered, then it'd be an automatic dismissal from the league. If a Burfict type individual continued to run wreckless against players, they'd be automatically excused as an employee. If getting tackled a certain way meant imminent death the league would be in shambles. Truth is, maybe 25% MAYBE... 25% of their BS explanations and I'm being kind, Is actually from the heart.

Apparently people can knock the **** out of one another in a heated skirmish away from the play vs a player on player good hit! Apparently people trying obviously to hurt other people vs **** happens in this game takes a precedent. If any of it was legit, a 10k fine on a 30 mil player that really messed someone up would be open to further debate. Or if a player who may or not may have raped somebody but was running around yanking tops off of women had any questionable character traits was actually looked at, then maybe I'd get it.

These guys don't give a ****, and a minimal amount of players don't give a **** that's why when A does what B does depending on their marketability they get treated like C! And C gets treated better than A or B depending on somebody's mood! Nits a ****ing joke...

Lot more to add a lot to debate. But, it's pretty safe to say that one team is not treated the same as the other 31... Nor is 1 player treated the same as another... Nor are any of these guys any more worried about player safety than they were 50 years ago outside of some sensationalized butt covering piece that comes out

• Like Like x 1
  22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He said he knows he has it . He is not a 10 year NFL Vet or a RB or a LB . His play shows that he is afraid of making a big hit. So I will take him at his word coupled with the way he plays . As I stated in the Defense the Steelers play he needs to be a physical CB. if he knows he already has CTE then he is in the wrong system or wrong position .

If I was a Coach and I had a 2nd. year player stating that,, knowing I expect that player to be physical then it makes sense to move him . As stated best for him and the Team .

I don't really like the statement about human beings are not meant to run into each other either . He signed a contract to do just that . His arm tackling proves he doesn't want real contact . So have a good career go to a system that he is a cover only CB or move to Single high away from the action or learn to kick or punt .

23. bleednblackngold

Oct 25, 2015
  24. bleednblackngold

Oct 25, 2015
    Do you really think the NFLwould have paid out all that money if CTE wasn't a real, scientifically proven diagnosis?

Science and potential jury awards don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. Who is a jury going to sympathize with, a grieving widow who claims CTE was the cause of her husband's suicide or a heartless bunch of billionaires ( personified by Goodell no less!)
    Not to mention the PR nightmare of this scenario being played over and over in court. That's why they settled

25. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    There is no point in worrying about CTE for the younger guys. They had made their decision long ago to play football and accept all the risks that go with making the big bucks. Once you have already made your money, then you should start judging the risk/reward of playing well in to your 30`s.