1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Artie Burns back at practice

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Fugitive60, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    He should see significant playing time on Thursday. Assuming he has no other injury problems, do you foresee Burns earning a starting spot at some point in the regular season? If not, what role do you see him playing? If Sean Davis is the slot corner in the nickel, will Burns only play in the dime? Interested to see if he plays special teams as well.

2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I don't think we will see Artie starting. I think you may see him in certain packages. But I think Cockrell and Gay with be the starters week 1. Special teams and certain packages.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Realistically... no significant playing time for Burns until mid-season at the earliest, IMO. Even then... his snaps will be limited.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    starting shouldn't be a concern right now with missed time. learning and field time being slowly introduced to him as the season goes on would be the smart move with him and then evaluate as we go. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If Burns is starting.. Butler better have some unique zone blitzes considering that means either Cockrell or Gay is injured.

For that matter, if Burns is starting, if I am a Steelers fan, I would worry about the rest of the season as well.

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Evidently William Gay has been taking slot reps since the Saints game. This would suggest that in Dime, Davis would go back to a safety position and we would see Burns out there as well. I think that will be Artie's main role moving forward.

7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Honestly I think we need to parce out the reps to both Davis and Burns. If we face 60 snaps and 40 are in nickel or dime they each should get around 10-20 snaps. That should have them baptized enough that next year they are ready to really contribute.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Is it possible that we actually might see what an early round draft pick CB looks like playing for the Steelers in a real game?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not so sure we want to see that with Burns just yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't see him as a starter this year, I hope he see's some game experience/playing time down
    the road though. Show us why he was picked in the first round.I look for him to over take Cockrell for playing time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I see Burns starting week 1, next year. He will work his way into playing time the early part of the season. Injuries and missed time set him back. Might not be able to cover AB, but really, who can?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I'm hoping they can get enough of playing time during the year to help us in the playoffs, and worry about next year in next year. :clapping:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think cockrell has done quite nicely for us so far. gay is good but he's getting up there in age and will probably start going the other way in time. cockrell has some smarts that we could use back there too. if he keeps getting stronger as he has done this year i think we will have a good player. i've been pretty pleased with his play so far. these guys including davis, golden, burns, cockrell and grant are improving together as a young group and i hope earns us dividends down the road. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mac, I am giving all you Buckeye fans a bone here. Dorian Grant opposite William Gay to start the season
    with Cockrell, Burns, Davis getting multiple reps during the year. We need all db's to step up if we are to get where we want to be.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    For me Grant hasn't been that impressive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think he's done pretty well glenn. 1 fumble recovery, 1 interception and 2nd in tackles while learning two spots on the defense. he doesn't look lost either. he's also doing pretty good on ST's. thats pretty decent for a 2nd year player. :cool:

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. This is more along the lines of what I was expecting when they drafted him. Don't know what went on earlier with him but he seems to be on the right track now.

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    No reason why he cant play in this last pre season game against the panthers 2s and 3s and maybe flash a little bit of things to come....

19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yuck. I'm a huge buckeye fan, but I'd much rather have Cockrell getting the start opposite Gay. Idt he's ready yet.

20. DonKnock

DonKnock Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2016

Doesn't really matter who is the 'starter' other than for locker room chemistry purposes. Cockrell can still start while Grant slowly creeps up the snaps list.

21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think our starting CB'S are all that , If the kid can play fast and knows what he is supposed to do then get him on the field and get Gay in the slot ..I like Gay a lot in the slot I don't really like Cockrell as a outside CB either ..In a perfect world we could sign another CB to start outside with Burns and get Gay down in the slot where he plays best ...I like Grant as a 4th. CB so basically I think Artie can be a good #2 and bump the rest down a notch and get a good #1 CB...

22. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Actually in a perfect world our second round pick from a year ago would be healthy and starting in the slot and Gay and Burns would be outside. I think throwing Burns out there too early would be a mistake tho. He will be better than Cockrell in time, but I don't think he's there yet. Can't just throw guys out there just to get them experience when they aren't ready

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    if he can play fast then he may be somewhat ready ? If the other CB'S start getting torched and I fear they will might as well play Burns ...According to camp reports he is very competitive and is loaded with confidence , really no harm in playing a young guy as long as they have the right mentality and is close in skill level ...We will be able to see if he is even near ready to go?

24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Isn't that what practice/preseason is for? Maybe he's ready to go and maybe he isn't.... He's missed a little time in that regard, so it makes it tough to evaluate that. He should finally get back out there against the Panthers for the final preseason game. Games aren't a "we will see if he's got it" type of thing IMO.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree I meant against the Panthers and unless he looks real good you can't start him until the others look worse...That is my fear that the others may look real bad real fast and at that point you might as well go with him..