1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Artie Burns Arrested

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TwentyFourSeven, Jun 30, 2017.

1. TwentyFourSeven

TwentyFourSeven Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11377/artie-burns

Steelers CB Artie Burns was arrested overnight in Florida for driving with a suspended license.
    It doesn't sound serious, though Burns has over $1,000 in unpaid traffic tickets and previously failed to appear to a mandatory court hearing. Burns was the 25th overall pick in last year's draft and had a strong spring as he looks to take a step forward in Year 2. Burns didn't have off-field trouble in college at Miami. Jun 30 - 9:10 AM
    Source: David Ovalie on Twitter

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ns-arrested-for-driving-on-suspended-license/

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Unpaid traffic tickets? Phew - I saw the thread title and prepared for the worst.

From the little the story says, it sounds like a kid with newfound money not noticing his actions. It's dumb - driving at 130 in a 60, not good - but hopefully this just refocuses him a bit and puts his feet back on the ground.

3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It's been just over a year since he signed 14mllion dollar contract and he's driving a car with expired tags and has 1k worth of traffic tickets. Come on man

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nothing he'll be suspended over but I just wish the players on this team would stay out of the news for the wrong reasons.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He received a 4 year 9.5 M contract with a 5.1 M signing bonus, yeah he could afford to pay his 1K fines and renew his drivers license ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'll never forget a few years ago i went on my birthday to get my new sticker for plates and the deputy registrar told me my registration was from the prior year and not from the last year. i said no way. i went out and looked at my sticker and she was right. i swore i had gotten it but she said well you got away with a free year. it happens. drivers licenses too. i always check them on my birthday now even knowing they are only due every 5 years. it can get away from you.

i agree with thig, i say the article headline and thought the worst. whewww!!! take care of business artie and don't be that guy. :smiley1::cool:

8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Same thing happened to me a couple years ago. My plates renew at the end of December and my DMV mail sometimes will go to my ex-wife's address (long story). Anyway, with everything going on in December -- family, holidays and work -- that obligation just didn't register (punny!). Didn't notice for a few months.

But I've never owned any vehicle that could do 130.

9. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    His licence isn't expired. It was suspended. He did something to get it suspended. Shouldn't count against him though

10. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I hope the judge throws the book ( it's a little book ) at him.

Driving is a privilege not a right. Yes it's easy to let something slip by but a suspended license means he broke a law or two. A thousand $ in parking fines shows disrespect for the law and refusing to pay them shows contempt for authority and irresponsible attitude about owning up to ones actions. And he wasn't just speeding but carelessly endangering other lives by such excessive speeds!!

Remember he is responsible for his younger siblings due to tragedy in his life. The example he's setting is not good.

Grow up and be responsible and handle your business the RIGHT way Mr. Burns!!!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Thats a big difference since driving on a suspended license in Florida is a 500 dollar fine and up to 60 days in jail which it's highly unlikely he will get any jail time:

Under Section 322.34, Florida Statutes, a first offense for driving with a suspended license (with knowledge of the suspension, revocation, or cancellation) can result in 60 days jail and a fine of up to $500.00. A second offense may be charged as a first degree misdemeanor, which carries a maximum penalty of 1 year in jail. A third offense in Florida may result in felony charges, with up to 5 years in prison and maximum fine of $5,000.

12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Yeah, he didn't pay his tickets

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He could hire me to be his personal assistant, I would see that his business is tended to on time.
    Don't agent's do these kind of things for their clients? My goodness pay me to have these things done for players.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    $500 fine for driving with a suspended license? Hell that's the fine in Cali for doing 67 in a 55. His license was most likely suspended for that exhibition of speed ticket. Driving on a suspended is one step from permanent revocation in Cali - I know - just finished online traffic school for that 67 in a 55 and there was a whole chapter on suspensions and revocations.

And for Mac getting a "free year" for skipping a registration, again in Cali that would just about triple your fee, no free lunch out here except for those sneaking across the...........never mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    H*ll, Microsoft founder Bill Gates got arrested 4 times in his life for similar traffic offenses and still ended up successful. Getting arrested in America has become as normal as breathing. Burns will rebound...no problem :cool:

16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    He`s a scofflaw type of guy. That does not sound too good regarding his character. At best, he is just immature.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Artie will learn the hard way I am afraid.

No suspension of course but loss of a privilege that should not be taken lightly in the States for sure.

Such lessons may hurt but will make Artie more humble and responsible about his actions.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    At about the same age, I was once arrested for tripling the speed limit. Damn that car was fast. I was pulled over 32 times for speeding, etc. in order to keep driving I had licenses in PA, TX, CO and IL. And somehow, I still did okie dokie in life. Although, I did play all of the fines.

19. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  20. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Exactly. "Suspended" and "expired" are two totally different things and "suspended" is very serious. He either has a ton of tickets or he has been in trouble for DUI's and things like that.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They also suspend for back child support as well. Happen to my older brother and they never notified him or let him know he was behind in payments. He didn't find out until he was turned down for several jobs and the last one said you do know your licenser is suspended righ th.

22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Isn't this the same guy that was supposed to be so mature and was going to take care of his siblings? One going that fast couldve cost him his life first and/or an injury couldve cost him his career.

23. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    True story BFT. 1972 I got a DUI in North Carolina. Only blew a 2.4. 4 days later I had, had 1 beer at the NCO club and was following my buddy home for the weekend and going to spend it with him and his wife. Cop pulls me over and says you are drunk. No breathalyzer, nuttin. He took me to the Police station. gave me back my keys and said your court date is on the ticket your buddy can take you to your car. few months later after both court dates I get license suspended for a year. I wish I had save the letter Pennsylvania sent me because two weeks later I get a letter from PADMV. We are returning your license because we do not recognize DUI's for active duty service members in that part of North Carolina. Didn't do me much good because I was suspended on base for the whole year

24. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I`m not so quick to judge...

On one hand, I am wondering why he had his license suspended in the first place, and I am wondering why he didn`t
    get it taken care of, unless he had to wait out a time frame to get it back...

On the other hand, I am wondering why he would be so stupid as to drive, when he knew his license was suspended..???

I think most NFL teams have a program in place, where a player can call for a ride if they need to get somewhere in an emergency, or if they been drinking...???

And I`m sure he could afford a taxi/limo driver...

At least it doesn`t sound like he was driving drunk. Just driving, when he shouldn`t have been....

Dumb choice, to break the law, but is it a "suspendable offense", under the CBA?

I don`t know the details of the "violation"...

Sounds like he was goin too fast in a new toy, and didn`t hurt anyone...

Sure hope he doesn`t miss time on the field, for our sake, as a team, and his, as a young player
    developing...

But I am sure he will get his ass chewed out by Tomlin, and his veteran teammates, as he should...

Kids will be Kids...

I`ve done worse, but, I wasn`t risking a multi-million dollar contract by doing it..

Hopefully, his coaches and family will get that thru his head,

Cuz he has the potential to be pretty damn good!!

Just stop doin dumb ****!!!!!!!:shrug::facepalm::cool:

Edit... Don`t forget this is the "slow news cycle" in the NFL, so, the media is gonna make anything that happens to any player into a bigger story, than it would normallly be... just sayin...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  25. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Hey I think the biggest thing to take away from this was at least he didn't have any pot on him. Seems like anytime a NFL player gets pulled an arrested for something possession normally goes with it.

• Agree Agree x 1