1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Artie Burns and tackling...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by theRealeHarris, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Yay

2. Nay

3. On the fence about Burns' production

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Keep in mind: I only caught highlights, post-game analysis, and thread talk of weeks 3, 4, 5. But based on what I saw in weeks 1, 2, and last season....

Artie Burns and tackling are NOT friends :huh:. Am I the only one seeing #25 avoid tackling, and even any moderate physical contact, most of the opportunities he can? :hmm: Burns is showing a real lack of urgency to close down [and make a tackle] on the ballcarrier on runs to his side, and when downfield. Sure, I can respect smaller NFL players making efforts to avoid big contact. But I need something in return. In Artie Burns' case, at least 2 INTs at this point in the season. Has Burns proved his case this season?

I'm cool with Artie's playing style. He's young. His body will grow, he'll mature. His playing style will evolve. Practicing vs Big Ben, A.B., (and sometimes Bell), lining up with Haden...right environment to foster an elite CB. But the coaching staff needs to adapt to his current weaknesses.
    :think:
    Gap control, setting the edge, tackling on the perimeter, tackling downfield, safety play...all important aspects to limiting the occurrence of big yard plays, and holding the other team to under 200 rush yards...remember the days when we had a perennial top 5 defense..those were the days :towel: :amen:

2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    We were a top tier defense with Ike "hands-o-buttah" Taylor who shied away from contact more than Deion Sanders. Ike was a liability on some really good defenses. DB's always look better with solid line play.

If you want to blame anyone for Artie not looking good this season, blame Shazier. Ryan can't control his gap to save his life.

3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He seems above the line in pass defense and below the line as a tackler. With that said I wished we had Safeties who could get to the play faster and who could make better open field tackles .

I am fine with CB'S who are more of the cover type , but to make that work we need the right kind of Safety play . 1 Safety who can play in the box and be a true force against the run game, and 1 Safety who can play deep and be a true last line of Defense .

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Artie is one of the leagues best corners when it comes to limiting receivers on his side.

When it comes to containing the edge or gap assignments on running plays, that is a different story.

5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Burns is really bad at tackling. Ike was actually a pretty good tackler. When Dupree makes his big loop on the outside and runner cuts inside of him, Burns then avoids contact and then our safeties take bad angles this usually spells disaster against the run.

The good thing Burns can cover passes better then what we had in the past.

6. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Ike couldn't catch a cold, but he was great in run support.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Ike was great in run support? Yikes.

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ike > burns what say you?

9. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Still can't believe this guy took a lunch break during one of the most critical plays of the game...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Carnell Lake needs to get him in the LAB and go over technique.

But really, you have to have desire to want to tackle.

11. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I can't believe we are all watching the same guy. He doesn't defend passes, his receivers are dropping them, nothing special to see. And yes, he is only a second year player but he blows coverage assignments every single game, the team has been fortunate not to have faced a QB that has been able to capitalize on it yet. When he gets put in man coverage he gets beat....Consistently! I was giving him some credit saying he was serviceable in the zone but he is so full of himself that even in zone he is becoming a liability. Smith was getting flushed out and running for his life this game and it was a good thing as he missed Brunt's guy wide open 5 times, over throws happened because of pressure but Brunt didn't have a hand in defending anything but 1 pass that was dropped before the receivers hand was grabbed so he gets credit for that but nothing else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I think it was him that allowed a receiver for KC to be in the end zone near the end of the game by himself. Missed assignment. If not for the pressure applied by our dline Smith had a wide open receiver for a sure TD

13. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    So Artie sucks? Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    They won't until December 17th unless Stafford has one of his "A" games. Rodgers is out, so Steelers D got a break vs. the Pack.

15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Artie was having an excellent day, up until he wiffed on the tackle.

He had a key 3rd down pass break up earlier in the game.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Take a look at our 24 pick first round corner in 97 chad scotts first two years, artie dont look too bad in comparison, year 3 chad broke out of his shell and had a good year with 5 picks 70 tackles and he had an even better year in year 4 with 5 picks 80 tackles two pick sixes and 19 pdfs, it takes a couple years for these corners to get comfortable in their position, artie will come around at least by next year and the light could come on in one of these next 10 games...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I remember the days of Chad Scott and DeWayne Washington. It was feast or famine with those guys... great games along with games where they were totally torched. Washington got quite a few Pick 6's in his time with the Steelers... I remember he got 2 in one game! Can't remember who they were playing against.. maybe the Bungles. Lee Flowers and Brent Alexander at safety. Flowers was one of the best sh!t talkers the Steelers ever had... almost as good at talking smack as Porter.

18. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Burns is going to become awesome, they all make mistakes! how bout it Ben.. ;+)

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
  21. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I love artie's coverage ability, but I was highly aggravated during de'anthony Thomas's td catch and run.........
    To my eyes, artie had at least 2 chances to lay hands on Thomas and gave up rather than get dirty...... that has to change badly.... I don't want deion Sanders pt. 2 on this defense

22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Burns does like contact, when has made a good tackle or even a good hit. If anything i seen him avoid or go behind his team mates so as not to make a hit. That is what is the difference between average and good cornerbacks, endless your Dion who never tackled.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure if Burns blew the plays where Smith had a receiver open and missed him or not, but his play on the touchdown was a killer. He got caught peeking at Smith and lost the receiver behind him and then missed the tackle to turn a big mistake into a touchdown. He needs to be more consistent.

24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    He seemed to be confused to me on the touchdown and on another play in or near the red zone when Alex smith overthrew a wide open receiver on an out route. Looked like in both cases he should have been playing a deep third but was playing squat technique in the flat. Miscommunication maybe.