1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Article about Bell makes me think this is his last year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, May 28, 2016.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...be-preparing-to-say-bye-bye-to-rb-leveon-bell

The article argues you just can`t pay up for a RB anymore, yet I could see Bell`s agent argue that Bell is a hybrid, both receiver and RB and should get top dollar. Some team will pay that top dollar price if we don`t.

Is there enough cap room for us to pay up for players like Brown and Bell? Both are special, but as the article says the NFL is a passing league. I think the front office knows we have to keep Brown, but hate to think we will let Bell go.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He's not going anywhere. At the very least we Tag him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe they won't have to pay top dollar to sign Bell, hometown discount?

4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He ain't gonna give us a discount... He's already got an injury history and is gonna look for a solid pay day book it!

Especially if he gets through a full season and is where he should be production wise.

5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    But I take Brown over Bell in a business decision 6 days of the week and 10 times on Sunday

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would hate t choose between brown and bell, but if pressed I would pick bell.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Bell is a tremendous weapon and I hope we can keep both of them in the B&G. Since it is a passing league I think it would be easier to keep Bell and his injury history (although it's not his fault). I think Khan finds a way to keep them both. At least I hope so....

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think the Steelers will offer him a very fair contract for RB's and he will either
    sign it or leave. The Steelers have always been fair to their players who have produced and
    Bell has. They will get this done, now if he wants AP money they will let him walk. Are you guys old enough
    to remember Franco Harris?

9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Franco was well past his prime. Bell is entering it, albeit with an unfortunate injury history. His agent will demand top dollar and there will plenty of interest throughout the league should he stay healthy an entire year. That being said, they will tag him (as stated by someone previous) and try and work a fair deal which I think he would ink eventually if he wants any continuous or hopefully repetitive chance of winning a Championship(s).

10. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I know there are idiot owners out there, like the tool in Washington, but since it is a passing league, maybe he won't be able to break the bank elsewhere. While I don't think he'll get a 2nd contract with the Steelers, maybe it works in their favor that RB are being marginalized.

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The problem is just as was stated by the OP . His real value is because he is the new age RB . He can easily convert to a WR or slot guy and he can run inside as well. We will have to tag him and his value will be much more than the normal RB . As the OP said his skill set will demand top dollar..

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    two other big money guys haven't been signed yet either so it may be decision time. timmons and DD. there is bell and brown money. replacing an older ILB and a RG would be more doable. just saying. 15 mil. and 8 mil. right there. :shrug: :cool:

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My vote would be maybe letting Timmons go , but I would not want to let DD go . I would actually let Pouncey go before DD .

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Bell is a luxury
    Brown is a necessity

I'd be very cautious in extending Bell, I'd rather use Bell up this year, and be prepared to replace him.

We are investing big money in our online, we have a franchise QB, our WR core is the tits...., and the return on that investment should be the ability to churn out a high quality running game without investing big cap space in the RB position

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This. And I believe they will work out a deal before it comes to that.

For those saying its a passing league, Bell had 854 yards receiving in 2014, thats better then a lot of teams number 2 and has 1389 over all, thats with missing 13 games. Hell, Wheaton has 1457 total receiving yards and he IS a receiver.

Bell is a tremendous weapon, you don't let that walk. Injuries is the only thing that keeps signing him from being a no brainer.

Lock him up for one more contract, then maybe let him go, as he will be pushing 30. He's only 24 right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    AB is the most likely one of the two thats going to be the hardest to get resigned to a contract, ABs agent will have a contract starting number of about 60 million: I think a discount to sign Bell would be now for about 3-4 years, based on the risk factor, Bell should understand the steelers are showing their faith in him to be productive this year by giving him an extension now..........

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd let Timmons walk 6 days a week and twice on Sunday to keep Le'Veon. Timmons has been solid, serviceable, and dependable but his time is running out. The way I'm thinking about it is that Ben doesn't have tooooo much longer left and in the next few years they might even start thinking for the future and I think a player like Bell in the backfield would be a great asset for a new qb. AB would be a great asset too but it would sure be nice for a young qb to have a guy he can turn around and hand it to that can take over games. So that's sorta my thinking on it.

18. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    AB contract will be uncharted waters for the PGH Steelers,a non franchise qb
    is going to break the bank. A very creative offer will have to be thought out for this deal to get done. Ben does not have many years left. Why pay a guy a godzillion amount of dollars when you don't have anybody to get him the ball?

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I guess what I was trying to get at, was you don't play hardball with the PGH Steelers. Franco, Peazy, Faneca found this out.
    You are not going to tell Steelers how to run their business, even if you were a HOF RB as was Franco Harris. They will let you walk and pick up the pieces going forward.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  20. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We need both, and the truth of the matter, big Ben need them both. Don't end up like room and the cowboys with Murray and Bryant

21. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    That`s the way I look at it, we need them. If we can play the entire season without injury to Brown and Bell (not to mention Ben) I say we are the favorite to win the SB. Take one of those away, maybe not so much. Both Brown and Bell are special.

22. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012
    i think bell is all about bell and will go to the highest bidder.

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    What makes you think that? I don't know much about Bell off the field.

24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    And we have a winner. A guy like AP is the best pure runner in the game (or was), but he still isn't the weapon that Bell is, not even close. No, RB's don't get paid these days, but that's because they didn't adapt to the new NFL fast enough. Guys like Bell have adapted and are both a RB and a WR. Bell will get paid and hopefully it will be with the Steelers. He's a huge weapon to have in the back field. He can run many routes as well as a WR plus he's also one of the top runners in the game.

Where me and Blast differ is I don't feel he's injury prone whatsoever. I believe his injuries so far have been flukes and if other RB's took the same hit, they would have had the same injury or worse. I think Bell has just been unlucky but that will change.

Bell is likely here to stay. He's simply too good to let leave. Playmakers win championships. Bell is a playmaker, as is Brown, Shazier, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You just described 99% of pro athletes. They almost always go to the highest bidder once they become an UDFA, which is why we'll take care of him before it comes to that point