1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Art Rooney meets with media today…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 28, 2022.

1. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Isn't that what the GM is suppose to do? That's like saying I'm looking for a chef who can cook.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    If by running you mean a lot of PA bootlegs which could result in the occasional 5-10 yard scramble then yes. Also, heavy in the RPO. However, we aren’t taking Lamar Jackson type running.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Easier said than done.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    ARII said he wanted a run game and a RB was our first pick. I see new OL coming next either FA or draft, probably both

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Rooney’s words, not mine. I’ll let him know you’re concerned and ask him to give you a call.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 3
  7. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I need help understanding how a scrambling QB isn't also a mobile one. You have to be able to move (mobility) to evade defensive players (scrambling) to continue the play. If he crosses the LOS, then he's more mobile/ a runner? Being able to move in the pocket (mobility) was something Ben did very well early on and took its toll over the years. Extending plays sometimes had the QB going outside the pocket and it sure looked like they had to be mobile to do this. Not trying to be argumentative but that is how I understood these terms for the past 6+ decades. JMO>

9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    There are more than you know.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    By running I mean around 500 yards rushing. That falls between Murray (400) to Allen (700).

That’s what I expect.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    That’s still more than I expect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not so much fans, rather some people waiting to see a fair evaluation.

You don’t buy a new car, pull out into heavy traffic, and decide you don’t like the car because it doesn’t go fast. You need to get it on the open highway. Now with Ben out of the way, and hopefully more than 6 pages of the playbook, we can let Rudolph drive. It may be a good car, it may be a pinto.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Everyone will have their own definitions. To me a running QB is a QB who has to run the ball on designed QB running plays to be effective. Lamar Jackson is my top example of that. Jalen Hurts is another, though he is not the caliber athlete that Lamar is. What are those guys without extensive use of designed QB runs? A scrambling QB is a guy who can be very successful without a lot of designed QB runs. They can create on called passing plays by scrambling out of the pocket to extend the play for a big throw downfield or tuck it and run for a big first down. Mahomes scrambled his butt off last Sunday, and made big off-script pass plays and big gains on the ground, all from designed pass plays. I see mobility and scrambling ability as largely the same thing. Maybe a scrambling QB is a bit more capable of running the ball, and not just moving around to pass. To me the biggest distinction is what I said above about “running” QBs. I don’t want a QB who can only succeed by using a lot of designed QB runs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    You’re debating with me and disagreeing with my posts. I’m simply mentioning what Art said. If you think what he wants in a QB is inconsistent with Canada’s scheme, you’ll need to take that up with him. With respect to scheme, it’s not like tweaks cannot be made to adjust a few route concepts to stretch the field more vertically. Good offensive coordinators don’t lock into a set book of plays, and then never adjust for the rest of their careers. If the boss wants more downfield throwing and gets a QB who can do it, Canada will need to expand his playbook to please the boss.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Seems to me if the QB moves in the pocket, out of it or runs, that is mobile. How can MT be confused.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it's also not like those plays are not in his playbook either. they couldn't use part of his playbook because of who his QB was at the time. adjust the QB and you adjust the plays learned and called. that's why i have always said ben has limited the offense since he has aged and stuck around. now we can truly see what sullivan and canada can do with qb's and an offense.

there also wasn't a set of plays mason could run and a set of plays ben could run when game planning. you make and practice what the starter will do and the backup runs those as well. now we can use more and different parts of the playbook to adjust to mason or haskins or whomever it may be just not ben.

i agree elvis, a mobile QB can do many things include run. mobility can also mean buying time in the pocket by moving. a pocket passer can move around the pocket and run at times. having designed QB runs and overusing them will not be a good formula in the NFL. he better be able to pass first and foremost. scrambling out of the pocket for yardage is just a bonus. the ravens have learned that your QB can't hold up in the NFL as your main running weapon. i hope that's not what we try to use. this isn't college or HS ball where that would fly. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    It will likely be him, but I'm not 100% sold based on other comments he made.

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Tulsa

Tulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Ed Orgeron fired Matt Canada after one season even though Canada had a 3 year contract. Orgeron told Canada to simplify his offense after they lost to Troy and were 3 and 2 that season. Then "mutually parted ways" after the season.
    O's quote: "It's tough when you make a mistake, but it's even tougher not to admit you made a mistake and it's just not a good fit. I had to do the best what I thought for the LSU program, and that's why I did it."

Canada did not improve our offense this year giving us the best chance to be successful. Is he the guy we should be tutoring our next QB? Cut bait now. If you know he's not the answer, part ways. No reason to delay the inevitiable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Tomlin has gotten away without a running game or a decent OL for almost all of his career against ARII's wishes. Tomlin doesn't need to establish a deep passing attack.

Also, I'm told it was ARII that wanted the Steelers to develop a short passing game so badly that he unilaterally fired Arians and hired Todd Haley.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    One of the more interesting end points regarding AR 2's EoY Presser was his comments stating about not complaining about a seasons end when the team does make the playoffs. I did find that interesting for certain... but he has also already been on record in stating that the mentality in every year is to vie and compete for a Super Bowl title. I believe many fans are confusing the two terms or rather, over analyzing one while overlooking another.

Remember that he stated he would not complain about making the playoffs. He never stated anything about not being disappointed in not going further. Personally, I believe that some of the frustration lies with the misconception here; the goal is always the big game. How to navigate the season to get there though... has not been a fruitful endeavor. It shall not get any easier either as finding the answer at the QB spot is priority number one. Should they find their answer.. the goal to return to the Super Bowl will get easier than without one.

22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I have a hard time seeing Mason or Haskins rushing for 500 yds. Maybe if they bring in someone else…?

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    4 teams left vying for the super bowl. none of these 4 QB's are running QB's. they are passing QB's that can run if needed when a play breaks down. they are all smart QB's that can pass the ball first and foremost. running QB's were not in the playoffs this year. none were inaccurate QB's that couldn't make good decisions in the passing game. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Allen not advancing has nothing to do with him being a running QB. There’s probably only one QB better than him, Mahomes.

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Remember this is the same Guy who said He take Lamar over almost every Qb in the league earlier this Year.
    LoL ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2