1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Art Rooney II speaks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 26, 2023.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

you forgot, then they ask macdaddyo if this is correct. sometimes they go on their own though, like devon bush. i let them go but protest heavily. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Yeah, it is a pretty standard set up. I've sat close to Washington's warroom... and Pittsburgh is fairly close.

But soon:
    They evaluate the coaching and have sessions about the direction and take whatever actions they take.
    Then they start identifying areas to improve or what they'd like to man the defense or offense with...
    Then they look at Free Agency, and how that will 'set the draft up' and they grade and pursue those. (pro-scouts have identified best fit players supposedly)
    Then they meet and start setting up the draft strategy and build that final board.
    As you already know, they will slot players based on needs, best fit, skills that can be used to change the attack, etc...
    and of course, trade up and trade down slotting...
    All this falls under GM(s) purveyance.
    The owner is available to pull the trigger on those deals that require that level. (he pretty much knows the deal well in advance.)
    Tomlin's arguments and his assistants' arguments have all been aired out. Though I have seen them change course with a player, where A grade Safety is on the board and a A grade LB drops... something like that. Those discussions are fast and furious...

I didn't really understand the Bush deal...
    He was an undersized fast LB. at best. Though graded as a day 1 starter.

He came out of the box strong but that knee injury did something to him. He has just not been the same even though I saw flashes of his old self at times.

This guy nailed it....

I hated that they gave picks 20 and 52 overall and a 2020 third round pick. Even without the career-altering injury, Bush's trajectory was not the same as say Shazier who could be a game wrecker.

3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Not seeing how that helps. I was in Mexico the year we played an exhibition game there. Yes, the NFL sold some jerseys but the people went right back to the #1 sport, Soccer. I don't know how that would help a franchise????? Another poster made a good point how it hurts the people who work the stadiums when their team has a home game.

Maybe it somehow would help the NFL as a whole??????? No idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It's all about the Benjamin's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You’ll probably enjoy this. Little insight into the Steelers draft prep:

https://www.steelers.com/video/the-pittsburgh-steelers-draft-process-15211796

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw that, too. I don’t think he will be, I think they can free up 8 million although not positive about that.

Even without the cap implications, I’m sure Trubisky will want another opportunity to start, especially after he made his feelings known about how things unfolded here.

I’ll be very surprised if he is on the team next season.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The speculation all makes sense, but the owner seems to want Trubisky to stay and he does tend to get what he wants. See the increased focus on the running game the last two years, going back to the drafting of Harris in the first round.

9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We’ll see.

He wanted the Run game fixed.

it’s just 3 years later.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Volunteers not hostages, remember. If Trubisky wants out and I don’t see why he wouldn’t, he’ll be on a new team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I'd agree with this. But Trubisky should have done better then he would have started longer. Except for one game he was horrible

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Rooney ain't gonna say "we're going to get rid of that loser Trub" in an interview. He has to say they want him back.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This ....:this!:
    Even though He is not....Trubisky still sees Himself as a starter. If He was making waves this year about it.....Why would anyone think He would be better about it this coming up Year???:shrug:

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You should come around here more often

There are a variety of knuckleheads who have claimed just this

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And the world is round

I read it on the internet

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Harris had a very good year his rookie year

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    When are you writing a book on your years in Washington? The story has everything - sex, power, greed, cover up, etc. Inquiring minds want to know.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He really doesn't. He could easily avoid the question.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt Rooney said that without some inkling of how things will play out, but hey, we can always ignore what the owner tells us and go with our own speculation. Things may change, but I don't doubt that the intent right now is to keep Trubisky, and that is with the team being aware of the cost and his dissatisfaction with being a backup.

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's where the market is. 10 years ago I had a similar conversation about hockey fans wanting the NHL to the Coyotes to the owner of Blackberry who was planning on moving the team to Hamilton Ontario. They claimed that Canadian fans would show up by the thousands to see a pro team in Hamilton. The more accurate statement is that they'd show up to watch a good pro hockey team. No one watches a bad team. Between college and the pros and the fledgling minor league game there is a glut of football options for people in the US to watch. The growth will come from outside the country if they want to continue expanding.

21. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Nothing is necessarily wrong, but as the NFL evolves, so should your strategies.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Funny when you can doubt the sincerity of what team officials say but no one else.

I guess we will find out how sincere he is soon enough.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I already explained that it makes little sense for him to say that. Why lie when it is an easy question for him to avoid?

24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Im not against it, the 17th game is used for some teams as the 'home' game, if done correctly over a period it all equals out. What I do not like is the distance and following schedule that makes the turn around more difficult.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    like trading land for a first round pick??? just thought of that episode on Coach where he was ready to make his first pick, then he finds out the owner traded the pick to Jerry Jones for some land lmao.