1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Art Rooney II ‘Not Closing The Door’ On Steelers Trading For QB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 6, 2024.

1. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    So the only stat you bring up to support your argument is points per game? You have to be smart enough to understand that Fields can't possibly be responsible for every single point the Bears scored in the time he's been there. Clearly you are forgetting about defensive touchdowns. Also, let's not act like a 5-point jump in points per game makes acquiring Fields a no-brainer. Especially considering we have no idea how the rest of the season would have played out with Kenny after Canada was fired.
    As far as your statement that Fields is better than Pickett and that is not debatable, I believe the Steelers will ultimately disagree with you. I don't believe that they will take the risk of future draft picks and a lot of money on a player who may not outperform another who's only going into his third year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    And we know tanking is a bad idea

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    Well thank god we have the Way Back Machine
    upload_2024-2-7_18-12-43.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    There are a number

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    His salary cap is also a fraction of all the other players you are comparing.
    If Mason comes back, what would his salary be? More than the $1M he got this past season, but how much more? (5M? 10M?)
    Burrow, Herbert, Jackson, and Watson are in the $50M+ club.
    Mahomes is $45M.
    Allen and Rodgers are around $40M.
    Even Lawrence is getting $11M this year, which will skyrocket for his 5th season/non-rookie contract.

It isn't a straight "Mason vs. QB X" comparison.
    It is "(Mason + $30-40M worth of other players) vs. QB X".
    Mason is unlikely to out-duel the big guns, but I think (hope?) he can be close enough that improving the rest of the team will be enough. (Like the Eagles were able to do with Wentz/Foles.)

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It really is, and if you look at some number 1 qb picks it also does not guarantee you get the right guy. I may be missing someone, but in the last 20 years there have been 6 QB's representing AFC teams in the SB. That's Brady, Peyton, Mahomes, and Ben (all multiple times), Brad Johnson and Joe Flacco. The QB may not have even played their best game if the team won, but it still shows how hard it is to get there and the teams without a super talented QB is rare. If you count Flacco and Johnson in that last group, then in the last 20 years that's 10%. Of course it's the team and coaching, but even in this period of the AFC having so many good QB's, a guy who was 13-19 as a college starter, was picked 9th in the draft, has been to 4 SB's in 5 years. KC did not get him by tanking.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    It was Flacco and Burrow the other 2...Brad Johnson was in 2002 with the bucs in the NFC.And for Flacco,he had just a monster playoffs run back in 2012 with 11 TD 0 INT.But I agree with you for the rest!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If we went into next season with Rudolph as our starter that would be very deflating, the guys a backup and we’d be asking him to lead this team to a SB?

I’m completely open to bringing in someone else as a starter but more than likely Pickett is going to get one more opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Missed Burro. A guy can catch magic and have a run for sure, or can play horrible like Ben in his first and Manning in his last, but to get there is really hard. I have no idea what Omar and Co does, but I really see no one worth reaching for and spending insane money and/or trading important draft capital when the team needs so many foundational pieces to truly compete, and by compete I mean score, complete drives, and really have a team 'fear' that competition you bring. Our record shows in recent years that we are not necessarily and 'easy out' but we also are not a team that can compete with the best (and worst) on a regular basis. Those issues have been spoken about much on here, and we wait and see if things will change, but if you forget to build around a QB of any talent, then whoever you bring in will look bad, jmho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Well, of course not. The Bears scored 74 TD's the past 2 seasons, of which Fields was directly responsible for 45. Fields played in 28/34 games in that stretch so he would have been expected to be responsible for 61 of those scores on a perfect rate. So Justin would average around being responsible for approximately 74% of the TD's scored by his team. The steelers scored 60 TD's in that stretch of which 17 TD's are attributed directly to Pickett. Pickett played 25 games, so he would be expected to be responsible for 44 TD's on a perfect rate. Kenny would average around being responsible for approximately 39% of the TD's scored by his team. Fields took a worse roster of players and found a way to get the ball in the end zone a heck of a lot more than Pickett and did so either throwing it in or running it himself. As for defensive TD's the past 2 years, the Steelers have had 3 and Bears have had 2.

There' other stats over the last 2 seasons:
    Total YPG
    Pickett - 190
    Fields - 236

Total TD
    Pickett - 17
    Fields - 45

Avg QBR/QB Rating
    Pickett - 45.9/79.0
    Fields - 51.2/85.7

YPA
    Pickett - 6.3
    Fields - 7.0

I could keep going, but there's just too many to post without making it unreadable. I don't think you realize just how big 5 PPG is. If we scored 5 more points in every game in 2023 we would have won 13 games and beaten out Baltimore for the #1 seed and a postseason bye. Now, I know that isn't exactly how 5 PPG would work in a real-life scenario... but the point is that we would be a top flight team in the AFC while changing NOTHING aside from adding 5 PPG to our offensive output. I wouldn't say Fields is a slam dunk pick up. There is clearly a chance he will never be anything other than a highly mediocre QB in this league, but he is also clearly a lot better than Pickett.

And we will never know what would have happened if Kenny stayed healthy post-Canada... But we should be glad that he did get hurt, because I think it really is an eye opener to how badly Kenny has been holding us back. It should show how badly a change is needed at QB, and it is quite baffling that we are even considering handing the keys to the offense back to him even with some level of "competition". We had the same Canada playbook and the same players, and Mason Rudolph came in and made Kenny look awful. I get that Kenny's wildly mid performance in Cincinnati was the prize jewel of his struggling career, but I am not holding out hope that the ONLY problem was Canada's play-calling and that Kenny will suddenly learn to read a defense and not bail on clean pockets just because someone else is calling the plays.

As for the Steelers disagreeing... They can both think that Fields is better than Kenny and still not want to trade for him. I'd highly question someone's ability to evaluate the position if they think that there is basically anyone that will be named a day 1 starter in 2024 that Kenny is better than. Unfortunately, its looking more and more likely that we are in for another highly frustrating partial-season performance from Kenny until we finally decide to kick him to the curb for good.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    It is far less deflating than throwing KSP out there. I would 100% rather throw Mason out there instead of Kenny for the season opener, simply due to the fact that he gives us a better shot to win games. I am already dreading seeing 8 drop back to pass in 2024 and its freaking February....

You're 100% right though. We are going to let Kenny hang around too long, just like we did Canada (and just like we are Tomlin). Its the present-day Steeler MO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Canada couldn’t even employ simple concepts like using receivers to clear out space. You guys really underestimate how awful he was. I mean how do you dismiss the night and day performance Kenny had in the very FIRST game without Canada. You really believe thats a coincidence.

I’ve said it before I have no doubt Kennys play will be much improved next year, I just dont know if his ceiling will be high enough to continue leading this team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If Kenny’s level of play is the same as it was this year he won’t last half a season before they pull the plug.

Thats one reason I think they will bring in Tannehill. I understand he is older now then when he played with Smith the first time but he still had his best years under him. I’m almost positive they will bring him in unless they move in a different direction all together for a starter like Wilson or Fields.

14. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    I'm OK with this but they better have an ample number two in case he remains the non point producing / non touchdown pass person we've seen through 24 games. Also don't waste another season with the experiment if he doesn't pan out soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Doesn't Minshew have a beard?

16. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Right here is where you lose me... All the momentum from the end of last season, whether you like it or not, had everything to do with Rudolph,,, but it would be "deflating"??? It would be carrying over that momentum in the right direction... Having Kp as the starter again, would be deflating... & you know damn well the players on that team were not just being "supportive"... that's a joke... You also know why they were being "supportive" & it had very little to do with Canada... To dismiss what the players think is foolish... Your opinion of more upside with kp than Rudolph can not possibly be based on anything you've seen on the feild... we all watched the same games for the last 2 yrs

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I agree with your first statement, I just don't see any reason to believe that it will be otherwise. We effectively benched Kenny at the end of the season last year for Mason due to strictly performance.

I can agree with the Tannehill statement. I think we will go that route instead of Mason bc the fans will want Mason. They don't need stadium chants and the like as Kenny continues to struggle. They'll want to give Kenny at least half the season and with Mason's recent success many won't have the same patience. Tannehill is not good, old, and therefore no threat to Kenny. Makes a ton of sense. They'll throw him out there for the last half of 24 and go on the QB search in 25. I got to get a better feel of what the '25 QB draft stock is looking like. Ewers and Sanders are the only ones I know well enough to have an opinion on.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Kenny Pickett for Justin Fields straight up, who says no?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I find it hard to believe that you think Rudolph is a starter in this league but thats fine, thats your opinion. To me he is a pocket passer with limited mobility that would have to elevate his game to Brady/Manning levels to be successful.

The players stuff is speculative at best, you are just projecting your feelings about it onto them. If Kenny comes out firing this season they won’t care that Rudolph isnt the QB.

We’ll find out if teams feel the same way about Rudolph as you do soon enough. He’ll definitely land a starting job somewhere if they do, right?

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    How can any knowledgeable fan give me a disagree with this

Oh I saw who did it

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m pretty against bringing Fields here, but right now his trade value is probably at least 5x Pickett’s trade value.

22. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    What’s the fascination with Fields?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

How about Fields playing and putting up empty numbers when his team is trailing by 4 touchdowns and he is going up against defenses playing soft?

Does anybody here even consider this stuff before they say it? Playing in games where you are getting blown out it is the surest way to put up big stats for a quarterback. Nobody was getting kicked in the teeth the way the Bears have been the last few seasons.

All you guys are so intent on pounding the point that Kenny Pickett sucks that you don't even consider common sense stuff that explains much when comparing stats. If Kenny Pickett was playing in all those games where his team was losing by 4 touchdowns, his stats would be much better. The problem is that he was playing mostly in competitive games, so he was never putting up garbage stats the way a quarterback like Fields does on the worst team in football.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    No. Just no!

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    1. there's no one available that's worth trading for
    2. we don't want to give up assets
    3. anyone we trade for will have few or no rookie deal years left to take advantage of
    4. steelers will keep KP to take advantage of his rookie deal years left to use the cap space to add talent around him
    5. good year to draft a QB

so no. we shouldn't trade for a QB

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1