1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Art Rooney II ‘Not Closing The Door’ On Steelers Trading For QB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Feb 6, 2024.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    They are still thinking KP is the answer so no way they do this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

if anyone thinks this is as good as mason will ever be just think back to when everyone thought when he started he was as good as he'd ever be. he got better and with more time in the league he could very well still get better. this is the kind of guy that can lead a team that has a good core around him. we have that and looks like we are going to add to that core. everyone gets on (the one who we may not mention) but he took us to a super bowl. mason is or i think can be in that mold if he's surrounded by a good enough team. if pickett buys in and learns he can too be that guy one day.

no these two or anyone else isn't going to be mahomes or brady but a team can spend a lifetime looking for that. many teams have and panic.. sometimes the right guys are right under your nose. it is a team game and one guy doesn't have to carry the rest always. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Never tank

Never

Bad idea

Bad bad bad

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

agreed. you don't waste years of other players in hopes of hitting on one guy. we are not the browns. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m not sure they still think KP is the answer as much as they do plan to find out for certain if KP is the answer

6. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I wonder how many games they give him next year to determine that.

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We have too good of a team to actually tank. We rolled Kenny, Mitch, and Rudolph as our starting QB last year and won 10 games.... We literally had two scrubs and then our 3rd stringer who hadn't played in years came out and actually looked solid. He played in 4 of our 18 games and those were just about the only games where the QB play didn't actively hinder our team.

Fields is significantly better than Pickett IMO. Its just us making a decision as to whether or not Fields can be better than an average NFL QB. Do we feel confident that a new system with better playmakers and line can help him improve even further to becoming a Jalen Hurts type player? Or do we think he is just an ok player and not worth investing in.

But we aren't tanking. We literally couldn't if we tried. There's simply too much talent on this team for us to be bad enough to lose enough games to draft in the top 10. We'd have to trade Watt, Minkah, and like half of the rest of our team for picks, and if the Front Office went that route, I'd probably never watch another Steeler game again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m not sure you can just arbitrarily put a number on that

It will depend on if there is a steady and significant improvement from game to game

Mr Rooney said something to the fact that Kenny continues to learn

The learning curve will be the deciding factor

I will say Picket needs to play more than one combined quarter with the starters in the preseason and hell be damned to the wimps who say players will get hurt if they play more that’s bull****

• Like Like x 1
  9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    What more do we need to see? Most young QB's dont get as much opportunity as Kenny has gotten.... I hope the leash is short and we have an actual fall back option that can win us some games behind him.

10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Fields is awful, he's not significantly better than Pickett and isn't worth the 25ish millin dollar 5th year option. Stop getting your hopes up... the far better option is trading up to get Maye or Daniels. Neither is dropping past 7ish, or again tank...

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    How else are you getting a franchise QB? You either tank or trade up in the draft. Tanking wasn't above New England.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    We might be the only organization that Mason has a true path to being a #1 without injury. His good play from the end of last season is a small sample size and there shouldn't be any teams that are willing to stake the future of their franchise on him as their #1.

If I was Mason, I'd resign in Pittsburgh in a heartbeat. Look who our presumed starter is... If Mason truly thinks he can be a #1 in the league, then he would feel like he could easily pass Kenny by. Why go sign a slightly more money deal in Dallas to guarantee being a #2 behind Dak when you could literally sit on the bench and wait for Kenny to implode and be the savior... again? Makes perfect sense to me.

14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

The vision that comes to my mind is:
    Can Mason produce the same results as Brock Purdy if he went to SF?

I'm mixed on Mason suddenly becoming a good QB. (Though I was on board in drafting him)
    I don't have a problem with him legitimately winning the competition and starting - but my expectations run around 6-9 wins.
    I'm positive I cannot be sold on better. I've sat here and looked at his play clips since his arrival, I'm hearing a lot of history revisions.

That said, I do feel like the Steelers will go into camp with Pickett, a draft pick, either Mason or a FA like Brissett, and maybe a UDFA.
    It won't take much from Pickett to win it, just turn it up a notch.
    If he can't, then I'm ready to move on. Even trying a trade or going with a Brissett as a backup.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Wait, we're supposed to apologize when we inject our opinions into a discussion? Damn. I owe quite a few! lol

You're not wrong about any of it, but I'm looking at it from Rudolph's perspective. If I was in his place, I wouldn't trust that I'd be getting a fair shot at the job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Teams have bet big chunks of money on players who had done less, though usually not a guy six years into their careers. Of course, it usually doesn't work.

Remember when the Seahawks gave Matt Flynn big money to be their quarterback after he had been a backup for four seasons in Green Bay? He had only two starts and 122 pass attempts in that time, but he threw for 480 yards and six touchdowns in a game against the Lions, so the Seahawks signed him to be their starter. He didn't even make it to the opener before losing his job to a rookie. To be fair, that rookie was Russell Wilson, but Flynn had to be pretty disappointing to open the door for a rookie taken in the third round.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well you answered your own question. You trade up. Its risky, but so is tanking. On a trade up, you risk spending multiple first round picks on one guy and he could end up not being worth it... If you tank, you risk being a bottom feeder for years on end. Top 10 picks don't guarantee good players.

New England didn't tank, they ran their franchise into the ground. They're gonna be bottom feeders for a while if they don't end up hitting on their QB.

18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    If Mason gets that opportunity in the free market, then yeah... go for it. It would just be surprising.

In all honesty I think a reunion with us makes the most sense for him though. #1 QB jobs aren't available all over the league and the guy sitting in ours right now sucks. There's a very good chance that KFP plays his way out of the job sooner rather than later, and that leaves the door wide open for Rudolph to swoop in and secure it.

19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I see trading for Fields as costlier risk because in year 2 its already his 5th year option. Nobody is going to trade a QB that has quality for a 2nd round pick. That alone tells me Fields is awful. I'm all for getting that QB of the future. I kinda want to build the OL first or regardless of they trade up, tank or trade for someone they'll be getting snaps at their knees and to top it off Edge rushers opposite Moore killing them.

20. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    This would be the best scenario tbh

21. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    So, obviously a good portion of this message board has given up on Pickett but let me see if I can wrap my head around this.
    The thought is to trade a guy(Pickett) who is 14-11 going into his 3rd season, and may or may not have been hampered by poor coaching, for a guy(Fields) who is 10-28 going into his 4th season and may or may not have been hampered by bad coaching?
    What am I missing? Because he can run faster?

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Mason may be better than KP which isn’t saying much but is he really a guy that can make a SB run? I don’t see it. I don’t think Fields is the answer either. Short term Mason probably is the best answer but in the end we still have a QB problem.

23. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Why? 25 million bucks is nothing. Especially since there is nothing tying him to the team past that 5th year option year. We'd essentially be spending less than 30 million bucks over 2 years to see if Fields can improve enough to be an above average QB. You only take the shot if you think there is a reasonable chance this happens. I don't think Fields has enough as a passer to be a star, but he can be good enough with a strong OL and run game (and some solid weapons) to be capable of moving us up a notch and be real threats to win games in the post season. Up front its a higher monetary risk, but for the longevity of the franchise its virtually no risk.

Tanking is certainly riskier, because we'd literally have to get rid of a couple high end players to be bad enough to tank. The roster as currently constructed would have a hard time winning less than 8 or 9 games. Even if we manage to do so, there is still a high chance that we miss on the QB pick anyways and we put ourselves AT BEST in the same situation and AT WORST relegate ourselves to the bottom of the division for a half decade or more. Monetarily its less risk, but for the future of the franchise the risk is astronomical.

It all comes down to what you're willing to risk. Are we more willing risking the equivalent of 5% of our cap space in money over the next two years, or risking the competitive viability of our franchise for the next half decade (or longer)? Which would you prefer?

24. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The Bears defense were very poor in 2022...I don't think Kenny would win many game with the worst defense in the NFL....Fields was much better last year after a bad start in september

25. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Rough season Mason? So you mean 3 rough seasons in a row. Not good.

• Agree Agree x 1