1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Art: ..a quarterback in the draft.,

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jeh1856, Jan 31, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that depends on the system they came from. the spread qbs have a lot to work on. that was part of landry's struggles. a guy from a pro style offense will have less technique to learn and can possibly learn the playbook quicker. there are other factors too. :cool:

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Dang! We aren't the Browns, jeh. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    After thinking about this more and reading the opposing posts, I like this idea even better.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Outside of Mahomes and Peterman... I personally do not like many other Quarterbacks from this class.

Sadly though, doing nothing is not going to help either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm warming up to davis webb some too, as well as mahomes, peterman, rush, terrell, liufau and a couple of others. i wouldn't be upset if they did take one. either way though i don't think this is the best year for them. :cool:

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Doing nothing is not going to help.

Doing the wrong thing is even worse.

Sometimes, not getting worse is the right move. Like you say, "do not like many ...."

8. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I think the way to approach this is a comparison of the odds.

What are the chances that a late-1st round pick develops into a starter (or the even slimmer odds for a franchise QB)?

Now suppose that the team could trade that 1st round pick for 3 or more lower-round picks. (I'm not sure about the trade value.) Get the odds that one out of that group will become the right QB for the team.

I suspect that the 1st round pick will still have better odds than the group, but that is just a gut feeling.

The other part is that these extra guys are going to soak up valuable roster spots. They just won't have the time to develop. And even if they look promising early on, we've seen a lot of rookie QBs look like the Next Great Thing, only to flame out in their sophomore year.

9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    QBs drafted under your scenario
    2016 (5)Kevin Hogan, (6)Nate Sudfeld, (7)Brandon Doughty
    2015 (5) Brett Hundley (7)Trevor Siemian
    2014 (5) Aaron Murray (6)Zack Mettenberger (6)Garrett Gilbert

Steelers Drafts
    2016 (6)Travis Freeney (7) DeMarcus Ayers (7)Tyler Matakevich
    2015 (5) Jesse James (6)LT Walton (6)Anthony Chickillo (7)Gerod Holliman
    2014 (5) Wesley Johnson (6)Jordan Zumwaldt (6) Dan McCullers (7)Rob Blanchflower

Not sure I see any value in your plan. You get Siemian, Mettenberger and Tahj Boyd(not listed) at best but you lose Ayers Matakevich, Jesse James, LT Walton, Big Dan McCullers.

HACK

• Like Like x 2
  10. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I have never been able to find the article again...but I read one years ago that said that the rounds for successful starters in the NFL were 1 and 7. 2-6 were almost identical.....Basically stated if you don't get your QB in the first maybe high 2nd....you might as well wait until rd 7

HACK

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I actually like the approach of getting a couple a draft at least to you see one you really has something special...I think of the DB and the QB positions the same way in that regard ...More stabs at a position should equal a better player or players in a shorter amount of time ....

KC says we don't reach we just hold pat and go BPA, that approach has not worked it's time to either move up and target the best guys or take multiple stabs at the key positions...

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    not a fan tbh. will work his arse off in the film room but cannot translate it to the field. Limited physical abilities as well.

13. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Multiple stabs at QB is such a horrible idea. Im ok with it at almost every other position. But QB is a horrible idea. Ill let you choose EVERY QB from the last 10 years drafted in the 5th round or later.....and you will come back with maybe 2 that are in the Bubby Brister level of NFL QB (I liked Brister by the way. But he obviously was not top of the the QB list)

With QB...IMO you go thats my guy...and you go get him. Normally when you are looking for a QB that means you are losing anyway.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    how many PS QBs do you need? Not an approach I agree with. All those picks would be wasted. Collect some resources (draft picks traded) in 2017 and get your guy in 2018. I don't think the shotgun approach works imo. Let that jack ass Fichtner do some work and pick a guy. And then target him in the draft.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it's tough to do drafting in the 30 hole. usually means you are winning. the unforeseen retirement of a qb though throws the real clinker into the mix. hopefully ben is back and gives us some time to make the transition. with us having a franchise qb it would be a better time to use late picks or UDFA pickups to see if anyone sticks. when you need one without having a guy already in place it would lead to more of what hack is saying about going after your guy. most teams drafting that guy early have no other choice usually. :cool:

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would look for some slash type guys...I mean draft 2 this year and then cut LJ and we have 3 and 1 on the practice squad..The next draft keep the best 2 again and draft a couple of more ...In the mean time maybe you have a QB who can convert to WR or CB or at least be a solid ST if one can do that then you shift his roster spot accordingly....

At least with this approach we get to look at more QB'S and it would increase the odds of finding a Brady or Zac type QB ...

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know what kind of QB AJ is going to make but how awesome would it be to sign him away from Cincy after FA next year and turns out to be a franchise QB and beat Cincy for the next 10 years :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  18. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm personally just jaded on the whole "project player" thing. I mean Rainey and Archer were both colossal wastes. Big Dan might wind up on that list as well. Cortez Allen also comes to mind. I also consider Landry a project player but at least we have won a few games that he was playing in. However, I don't see him as our future by any means and I really cringe at the thought of him even starting a single game.

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think when you look at the project player we just look for that 1 certain thing that is most Important to that specific scheme.....Can he throw good slants ?Does he have a quick release? Does he read zone defenses fast and accurate ?Does he have a good deep ball ? Does he force throws into coverage ? Does he panic under pressure ? And so on..

You get the point...I think the key is for the OC to know the most important skills he needs and then be able to adapt his scheme to fit those skills more and limit his down side as much as possible ....

Get a good lead and throw them in the game late get way down and game is out of reach throw them in there ..Your starting QB hurt not healthy enough to perform throw them in there ...Plenty of chances to see what they have and if you can't see a future then move on don't waste time trying to get them to pan out....

20. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I don't see why that would be necessary. Do you know how many QB's came from those rounds that ended up successful? In Brady's situation, there was a one in a million chance of that happening. Also, the Bledsoe injury made it happen. I can see why you would think that, but I think drafting only 1 QB in those rounds would be more appropriate. Even then, an undrafted FA QB signing wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

Jones and Mettenberger need to have a backup QB competition in the preseason with either a veteran, young, or rookie QB while Ben is still playing. We kept Jones on the roster ever since, so what does that tell you? Once Ben retires, we start our search.

We have a couple of paths that we can take:

1. Sign an undrafted FA QB and work with them (like you said)
    2. Trade for or sign a young QB
    3. Draft a QB

The NFL can be random at times. You may draft someone 1st overall and they become a bust. You may sign an undrafted FA and they become a Hall of Famer.

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    You all sound like Jon Gruden, he used to bring 6 QBs to camp, always looking for that diamond in the rough but never found one, the skins traded a ton of picks to move up and draft RG3 and for insurance drafted cousins in the 4th round and now the lessor valued cousins is the starter and their cant miss RG3 is long gone, it's always a wildcard when it comes to drafting QBs, do you go all in on one in the 1st round or do you take your chances on a later pick???????????

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    while a franchise qb is still here you take a chance. if you still need one when the franchise goes you then go early. :cool: