1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Art: ..a quarterback in the draft.,

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jeh1856, Jan 31, 2017.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...rgh-steelers-2017-season/stories/201701310255

Now, considering where we draft, the lack of good QBs this year, and drafting 32 next year, getting a good starting QB will be a stretch.

So, I'm stretching the box. Good QBs can be found in rounds 5-7 and developed. It's just a low probability. My theory is to draft a QB in all rounds 5-7 for 3 years. Go with guys with the smarts and drive, height, and arm strength but small school and or no pedigree. Just the raw material, but I repeate the smarts and drive. This is what Brady was.

After 3 years, you have 9 stud prospects. You should be able to coach one of them to perform well.

If we did this and found the replacement for Ben, is there anyone who would disagree that 3 5ths, 6ths and 7ths was a good investment? If it doesn't work, how many of those picks would have produced anyway?

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No team is going to waste that many draft picks just to try and find a QB. That's why they pay those scouts to find the next guy, you also would be taking up roster spots if you drafted that many QBs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No team would do it, agreed, because teams keep doing the same old same old, but if you did and got a starting quarterback out of it, it's a great deal.

It is the scouts who would be finding these guys.

Roster spots are not a problem. First 3 probably go to practice squad, probably the next 3, by the third 3 you should have weeded 3 out. Those extra roster spots, when looking for a long term QB, would be well used here.

Thinking scouts will find a good starting quarterback from where we will draft is a smoke dream. Much better odds with numbers. If you can't do it with 9 tries, what makes you think the great scouts can do it with 1?

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So.... is the plan to load up our special teams with backup QBs? Joe Shmoe: 7th string QB; 1st string gunner...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I can think of some members here who would go for that.

Jeh's plan is flawed, though, because we need our 5th and 6th round picks to trade for kickers and CBs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, but other than that little detail... FLAWLESS!

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I really thought Jeh was joking until his follow up reply :lolol:

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    why draft picks? why not UDFA's? we actually have quite a few lower draft picks that make it. AB, LT walton, mccullers, ayers, chickillo.

cooper rush central mich.
    zach terrell western mich.
    brady gustafson montana
    ryan higgins la.tech
    trevor knight tex. a&m
    gunner kiel cinci.
    wes lunt ill.
    matt johns virg.
    skyler howard w.va.
    patrick towles b.c.
    grayson lambert geo.
    trenton norvell w. ill.

not to mention several other small school guys that can throw the ball well. all these guys could go as UDFA's. why not? :cool:

9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Hopefully they resign Landry Jones for cheap and find a gem/project in the next 2 years.

10. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm thinking we hold a city-wide tryout and see if we can't find a person that matches those tangibles. A couple of years of development and you have the next Tom Brady. Maybe it should be extended out to the rural areas...you never know if Bubba is as good at throwing the deep ball as he is pitching horse shoes!

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Why waste draft picks when there are a couple dozen of them who go undrafted every year, heres the list of undrafted QBs after the 2016 draft, sign a couple after this draft and bring them to camp:

Quarterbacks

» Vernon Adams, Oregon (UPDATE: Per Rand Getlin, Adams will be in Renton for a rookie minicamp tryout with Seahawks)
    » Josh Woodrum, Liberty (UPDATE: Woodrum has signed with the Giants)
    » Trevone Boykin, TCU (UPDATE: Boykin announced on Twitter he is signing with Seahawks)
    » Jacob Coker, Alabama (UPDATE: Coker will sign with Cardinals)
    » Everett Golson, Florida State
    » Joel Stave, Wisconsin (UPDATE: Stave signs with Vikings)
    » Matt Johnson, Bowling Green (UPDATE: Johnson has been invited for a tryout with the Bengals)
    » Vad Lee, James Madison
    » Mike Bercovici, Arizona State (UPDATE: Bercovici will sign with Chargers.)
    » Blake Frohnapfel, Massachusetts (UPDATE: Frohnapfel has been invited by the Bengals for a tryout)
    » Travis Wilson, Utah
    » Max Wittek, Hawaii (UPDATE: Wittek has reached agreement on a free-agent contract with the Jaguars)
    » Jason Vander Laan, Ferris State (UPDATE: Vander Laan has signed with the Bills)
    » Jacob Huesman, Tennessee-Chattanooga (UPDATE: Huesman has been invited for a tryout with the Steelers)
    » Liam Nadler, Gannon University
    » Raymond Cotton, Mississippi College
    » John Robertson, Villanova
    » Chuckie Keeton, Utah State
    » Kyle Washington, Angelo State
    » Tre Roberson, Illinois State
    » John Gibbs, Jr., Alcorn State
    » Ammon Olsen, Southern Utah
    » Phillip Ely, Toledo
    » Zack Oliver, Northwestern
    » Moses Skillon, Morgan State
    » Tanner McEvoy, Wisconsin
    » Stephen Rivers, Northwestern (La.) State

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There, some of you are capable of thinking outside the box.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It would be nice to actually start to implement a system where you don't have to be a QB drafted in the top 5 or so to be effective. If those A holes can do it with the Cassels and Gacrappolos and that other no name they used this year....why can't we? With the current talent we have,why would it be so hard? The problem is we need to become smarter as a team....way too many examples of above the neck mistakes.

14. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Didn't Jacob Huesman sign with the Giants last month?

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The notion that we can just stock our roster and practice squad with low round and UDFA QBs and somehow develop one into a star is completely unrealistic. The CBA places strict limits on offseason activities between coaches and players, limits to the time spent in training camp, and limits practice time during the season season. Young, raw QBs need to be developed with coaching and reps. It's hard enough to develop a QB when the coaches are focusing their limited allotted time on one or two guys, and when the available receivers are catching passes from one or two guys. How is it going to work when there are 6 or 8 guys vying for coaching time, reps and preseason playing time? Are you going to have 7 QBs play in a preseason game, and give them one drive each? And what about loading the available practice squad spots with lottery ticket QBs? Do you take that approach and miss out on the chance to develop the next Villanueva, or not have a home for developmental guys like Chick, Fort, Dangerfield, Hamilton and Ayers, all of whom spent time on the PS? It just makes no practical sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I think Nate Peterman or Davis Webb could be solid QB picks in the 4th to 5th rounds.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't think you have to bring in 6-7 guys. i don't think that is the jist of the thinking here. maybe you bring in 3 udfa's and there is time to semi evaluate they're thinking processes and you do have some time to weed out some guys that you don't think will work out. that shouldn't take from your top backup or even 3rd guy in line but give you options. having two on the PS wouldn't really kill a team. during the season there is time to watch mechanics while in practice and in rookie camps and meetings and such. if you think there is nothing there then you move on but at least it gives you some evaluation of guys you may want to take further. it also doesn't cost you a draft pick. sure when you have guys in place you probably wouldn't go this route but while we have a known starter but little else, why not?:cool:

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i do kind of like peterman. ryan higgins from la. tech too. :cool:

19. SanDiegoSteel

Nov 16, 2016
    I saw one mock had the steelers taking a QB from central michigan in the 5th rd. Cooper Rush. Never heard of him.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i like rush. he could be had as an udfa possibly. i like liufau from colorado too. there are some guys to work with. :cool:

21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I really like Peterman. His draft stock is rising right now though.

22. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Isn't this what Gruden tried in Tampa? Didn't really work out. I guess we just count on our scouts and hopefully get lucky.

23. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    As much sh*t as I have talked to the cowturd fans for the past decade, I will have to pretend to stop watching football until another TB or BB come along. ;) Dak is going to do well with them and we are going to go back into the dark years. Rooneys arent going to fire any coaches, Colbert and Tomlin have no eye for talent, Haley doesnt know what play to call to score on 1st and inches much less any other time, and the Butler didnt listen to DL bc he is clueless. I hope I am wrong but I think this ride is almost over again. I bleed black and gold, I m not a bandwagon fan, and I have no 2nd football team.

GO PENGUINS!!!!

24. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    i don't think it is thinking outside the box. what happens to your depth if you do this? you are talking about 9 picks in 3 years if I understand you right? so you are willing to just automatically piss away 6 or 7 picks over 3 years? I mean you aint keeping 9 qbs. with the problems we have with our secondary, this is what you come up with? if you said corner, I would be on board.lol at least they can contribute in other ways.

I first thought you were joking. so you would sacrifice depth for this? I just think it would be easier to do your homework and take a guy you like in whatever round you can get him. if a guy falls to us at 1 and we think he can be a good starter in the nfl, take him. you don't need 9 projects at one position. lets say they all bust. then what?

25. SanDiegoSteel

Nov 16, 2016
    Basically they just need to learn the playbook, thats the only advantage landry jones has. If he seeks more money I'd be fine with drafting a QB, and re-signing Mettenberger so the rook has a year to learn the playbook.