1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Arians too predictiable in the second half

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Oct 16, 2011.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Arians frustrates me with his predictability in the second half. Great that we did well in the first half, but it seems the other team adjusts their defense, but we can never adjust our offense to solve their defense in the second half. It's as if, "Gee, that worked before what happened? Let's just try it a few more times!"

2. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It wasn't Just BA. Ben went cold as an ice cube in the 2nd half.

3. tarheelsteel

tarheelsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh yeah, totally with you on that one. Whats even more frustrating is when he finally starts hitting on something that works and seems to say, "Gee that worked great! Now lets do the complete opposite!"

4. Greg the man Lloyd

Greg the man Lloyd Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    i think we get two conservative and run on first down all the time when we get up on teams. How about a play action pass on first down.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I think it's a combination of a lot of different factors. But yeah, I agree with yins. How often do we get to see a nice run-the-score-up, pour-it-on blow out?

6. flygy185

flygy185 New Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No question Arians became too conservative in the 2nd half. When you have a team like the 1-4 jaguars down 17-0 in a blink of an eye AT HOME, there is no excuse to have that game end up as close as it was- regardless of the injuires to Troy and Clark. This team has too many offensive weapons in Miller, Brown, Wallace, Sanders and Mendenhall (who was VERY impressive today) to gonto stall mode. That happens against some of the better teams in the league, we're in MAJOR trouble.

7. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I really liked the short passes we had against the titans, we were quick and struck very fast. Today the running game was strong and AT FIRST the deep ball had some success, but it seemed like the so called 5 plays that Arians has drawn up for a game, turned to every other down on every drive this game. We went away from what was working in the first half and came out in the 2nd half as flat as a pancake. But props to our D for with standing a rush by the Jags at the end!

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Everyone knows I am a big fan of Bens but he really did go ice cold. It also seemed like they went bombs away more then usual but that could be me, I didn't have my full attention on the game as I was working but seemed every time I tuned back in there was another deep pass.

9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It cracks me up when people blame bruce. Yes it is a fact he is not the best offensive coord in the league, but we should have been up by more than 14 at half. we should have executed better. we had recievers running wide open all day. If a reciever is open to me that means the play call was not that bad. we had to try to run the ball in the second half to kill clock. that has been a critisism of bruce and when he does it u still aint happy. take the win, get ben on track, and get healthy and we will be dangerous

10. bobtx2us

bobtx2us Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Typical BA - 3 & 2 ...let's go with a 5-WR set!! I think we did convert that one yesterday; most of the time it's incomplete & a stalled drive.

11. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    One of his biggest downfalls. He just doesn't seem to know how/when to adjust. And anymore, the only person he is outsmarting is usually himself.

Not that BA is completely at fault for our second half performance yesterday, but he's a big reason our, what should be dynamic offense, looks lost most times.

And yes, 3rd and 1 or 2 with a 5 wide set is getting old fast!

12. bobtx2us

bobtx2us Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    seems like I saw a Rothlisberger quote last week where he said they view short passes as equal to running plays...he should be reminded that 2 of the 3 things that can happen on pass plays are BAD.

13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If the deep ball is going to be a staple in this offense, maybe they should practice it more during the week. How many times are they going to throw it and have the throw be several yards off target?

14. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    And don't forget how many times Wallace has had to slow up as well. The deep ball timing could be better, for sure

15. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Keep in mind that Ben is injured and is being held out of alot of practices.